Welcome to another Interview with a Wiki Ninja! Today's interview is with...
Let's look at some of Mohamed El-Qassas's statistics:
- 40 Wiki Articles!
- 1477 Wiki article edits!
- SharePoint Stack Exchange Moderator
- Blog: https://blog.devoworx.net/
- SharePoint 2016: Configure Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS)
- SPFx for SharePoint Server 2016
- SharePoint 2016: Detect the Installed Edition with PowerShell
- Project Server 2016: Missing 'Manage Delegates' Option In PWA Setting
- Project Server 2016: SharePoint Permission Mode Vs Project Permission Mode
- Project Server 2016: Missing Security Setting in PWA Settings
Now let's dig into the interview!
Who are you, where are you, and what do you do? What are your specialty technologies?
I am Mohamed El-Qassas from Egypt living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia with my little family (Lovely wife, sweet children’s Judi and Hamza).
I have graduated in Faculty of Computer & Information in 2007 with a very good grade and among the top ten students.
I am working as Senior Solution Consultant having +10 years of experience in SharePoint and Project Server.
I am a Wiki contributor in TechNet Wiki, I gained 29 Medals ((13) Gold, (12) Silver and (4) Bronze) in Microsoft TechNet wiki Technical Guru (TechNet Profile).
I am honored to receive the highest number of Medals in
- (July 2017) Microsoft TechNet wiki Technical Guru Awards. (3 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze).
- (Aug 2017) Microsoft TechNet wiki Technical Guru Awards.(2 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze) (2nd time in a row).
- (Sept 2017) Microsoft TechNet wiki Technical Guru Awards.(4 Gold, 2 Silver) (3rd time in a row).
- (Oct 2017) Microsoft TechNet wiki Technical Guru Awards.(2 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze) (4th time in a row).
To know more about me kindly check
What are your big projects right now?
I just finished developing Project Center Totalize Google Extension that calculates the Projects status and the total number of displayed projects in the Project Center in Project Server.
It’s not considered a big project though it overcomes one of the main limitations of Project Center in Project Server (All versions). For more details about totalize, Kindly check Project Center Totalize.
I am also working on Multitenant Control Panel Open Source Solution for managing the SharePoint Sites, PWA Instances and AD.
I am currently planning to write Arabic books related to SharePoint Online/Project Server/Project Online where there are little to no Microsoft Arabic resources at the moment. Plus, writing 200 wiki articles during the next six months! (Allah willing).
Last but not least, I started preparing for PMP and MCSE: SharePoint 2016 Solutions Expert certificate.
What is TechNet Wiki for? Who is it for?
TechNet Wiki is a great edifice for information exchange and knowledge transfer. In my opinion, it’s the right place for all Microsoft professionals, geeks, and beginners to polish their knowledge. It’s also a suited environment to make a great friendship with a number of helpful people.
Actually, I would blame myself for not joining TechNet Wiki for a long time ago. It became a way of passion as well as ambition for me. I hope to convey my humble experience as well as to learn much more from experts on TechNet Wiki.
By the way, I would like to thank “Waqas Sarwar - MVP” and “Hasan Köroğlu - MVP” for encouraging me to start writing in TechNet Wiki.
In what other sites and communities do you contribute your technical knowledge?
Besides my TechNet Wiki activities, I’m an active contributor in SharePoint Stack Exchange
- I am honored to be elected as the first SharePoint Stack Exchange Moderator in the GCC, Middle East and Africa.
- I am honored to be the 5th top contributor of all time.
- I am honored to be the 1st top contributor (+28,950 reputation) in the GCC, Middle East and Africa.
- I am honored to be the 1st top contributor in 2017.
- I am honored to be the 2nd top contributor in 2016.
- I ranked as the 1st top contributor in
- I ranked as the 1st top contributor for 13 months
- Most Active Contributors in Oct 2017 (7 times in a row).
- Most Active Contributors in Sept 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in August 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in July 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in June 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in May 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in April 2017.
- Most Active Contributors in Dec 2016 (6 times in a row).
- Most Active Contributors in Nov 2016.
- Most Active Contributors in Oct 2016.
- Most Active Contributors in Sept 2016.
- Most Active Contributors in August 2016.
- Most Active Contributors in July 2016.
- I ranked as the 1st Top Contributor for 46 weeks.
I also wrote lot of articles on my own blog: blog.devoworx.net since 2012 with +350 articles.
The main objective of this blog is to document all solutions for the Errors / Issues that I have faced during my working life. The purpose of this is to make a helpful reference for all to avoid these errors in the future.
I’m also sharing my humble knowledge in C# Corner, I’m ranked in the Top 50 (#32).
On what articles have you collaborated with other community members on #TNWiki? What was that experience like?
In my opinion, the Wiki Ninjas Group on Facebook is considered as a great place for TechNet Wiki collaboration. I learned a lot from the notes provided by Group Admins/Members like Wiki rules and Wiki Article standard format..etc.
By the way, I would like to thank all the exquisite Admins (Ronen Ariely, Kamlesh Kumar) and all the awesome members for their valuable and continuous support.
On what Wiki articles do you spend most of your time?
I believe any article will be published in TechNet wiki should be a worthy material and matching Wiki’s rules. So many of my articles have taken much time to properly publish in an appropriate manner to TechNet Wiki.
Below are the articles list:
- PowerShell Script to Configure Project Server 2016.
- SharePoint & Office 365 Learning: Popular Microsoft Virtual Academy Courses.
- Dive into Visual Studio 2017.
- Visual Studio 2017: Install and Use GitHub Extension.
- Project Server 2016: New and deprecated features compared to Project Server 2013.
What are your favorite Wiki articles you’ve contributed?
Few of my favorite articles
- Project Server 2016 Configuration. (Guru Gold Medal).
- Visual Studio 2017: Install and Use GitHub Extension. (Guru Gold Medal).
- Power BI: Determine The Project Status Based on the Project Start & Finish Date Using Calculated Column. (Guru Gold Medal)
- PowerShell Script to Configure Project Server 2016. (Guru Silver Medal)
- Project Server 2013 Migration (Step by Step). (Guru Silver Medal)
- Project Server 2016: SharePoint Permission Mode Vs Project Permission Mode. (Guru Bronze Medal).
Do you have any comments for product groups about TechNet Wiki?
Actually, I would like to appreciate and respect all type of efforts on TechNet Wiki, I have the below bits of comments:
- There is no “preview” and “Save as Draft” features to complete articles later.
- The upload image mechanism should be enhanced to be faster like TechNet Gallery Image Upload.
- There is no number of views, shares, article rating … etc.
- Wiki approval workflow for the new articles and revision. This is will prevent the spam articles and the “no improvement” whatever revision.
Who has impressed you in the Wiki community, and why?
Everyone, especially the Guru Judges and Wiki Facebook group admins / members. They always try to support and encourage us to do our best 🙂
What does success look like for TechNet Wiki?
The Wiki appreciation that represented in the Weekly contributors Report, the Monthly Guru Award, the Wiki Ninja belt List, Wiki Interview …etc.
The appreciation is the main factor in the continuity of the success and wonderful works!
Do you have any tips for new Wiki authors?
First, I would like to thank all new authors for sharing their valuable knowledge in TechNet wiki.
Secondly, it’s heavily recommended to Join the Wiki Ninjas Group on Facebook and share your new articles. I promise you will get a valuable support to improve your articles.
Also, it’s recommended to follow the Wiki Guidelines mentioned in the below articles:
- Wiki: Before you post your article - Quick check list.
- Wiki Life: How to contribute Article in TechNet Wiki
- Wiki Governance: Types of Articles Not Appropriate for TechNet Wiki
- Wiki: Governance and Guidelines Portal.
Finally, I would like to thank Mr. Kamlesh Kumar for giving me this honor to be interviewed in TechNet Wiki Ninja.
Thank you, Mohamed El-Qassas for such a detailed resume! It's truly an honor to have you contributing content with us!
Everyone, please join me in thanking Mohamed El-Qassas for his contributions to the community!
Join the world! Join TechNet Wiki.
— Ninja [Kamlesh Kumar]