Update for Surface Pro 3 (19 April 2017)

Today we've released an updated driver for Surface Pro 3 devices. This update includes a new driver for Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware that improves system stability and performance when you change between power states.

This update is available in ZIP and MSI format from the Surface Pro 3 Drivers and Firmware Page in the Microsoft Download Center. Click Download to download the following files:

• SurfacePro3_Win10_14393_1701702_0.msi
  • SurfacePro3_Win10_10586_1701702_0.msi
  • SurfacePro3_Win8x_9600_1701702_0.msi
  • SurfacePro3_Win10_14393_1701702_0.zip
  • SurfacePro3_Win10_10586_1701702_0.zip
  • SurfacePro3_Win8x_9600_1701702_0.zip

Note: On the download page, you will notice that there are multiple MSI and ZIP files for this driver and firmware update. In the name if these files you will note a Windows build number indicating the minimum supported build required to install the drivers and firmware contained within. For example, to install the drivers contained in SurfacePro3_Win10_14393_1701702_0.msi you must have Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607) or newer installed on your Surface Studio device. You can find a list of the build numbers for each version of Windows 10 in Windows 10 release information. Files that do not contain a build number in their name are applicable to all versions of Windows 10.

For your reference, here is a full description of the driver version that is updated in this release and the improvement it provides:

Surface Pro 3

• Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v38.12.70.0) improves system stability and performance when you change between power states

1. Mark says:

I’ve updated this last night upon the “Update and shutdown” option last night. I went to power on my Surface Pro 3 this morning and it’s stuck on the “Please wait while we install a system update” for 2 hours now.

I can’t two-button shutdown the Surface either. It’s just been sitting here and now currently “bricked.”

Can someone please offer some suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is to wait for battery to die (it’s full) now. However, that will probably put me at the same spot when I do manage to “wait” for this.

Are there others experiencing this problem?

1. Rich says:

I am having the same issue???

2. Engineering is aware of a potential issue with the EC firmware update and the downloads have been removed while we investigate.

2. rufociliatus says:

Hi Brandon,

Neither
    SurfacePro3_Win10_10586_1701702_0.msi
    SurfacePro3_Win10_10586_1701702_0.zip
    are listed in the Surface Pro 3 Drivers and Firmware page.

Instead, there is still old versions…
    SurfacePro3_Win10_10240_1700802_0.zip
    SurfacePro3_Win10_1700802_1.msi

Please check if they’re up…

1. In response to a potential issue, these files have been removed from the download center while engineering investigates.

1. stewart says:

when is Aprils up going to released

1. We cannot comment in advance on the schedule of future driver and firmware updates. New updates have now been released, see Updates for Surface Pro 3 (06 June 2017).

3. Dave says:

It looks like the driver was pulled back due to issues.
    Brandon, can you please post some info about when we can expect this to be re-released?

1. Dave says:

Any ETA on when we can expect this?
      Would really help the deployment testing for 1703

1. Dave says:

Can we get a estimated date for this to be re-released please?

1. chris says:

Anything from microsoft yet?

4. Michael Wilps says:

There was recently an Systemfirmware update v. 38.13.50.0 on 27.04.2017

I can’t find any information on that.

1. Devices running Windows 10 Insider Preview may receive drivers prior to their official release. These drivers have since been officially released, see Updates for Surface Pro 3 (06 June 2017).

5. Fikri Zainul says:

My type cover is not detected after windows update. I have reset and clean install the windows and still nothing. Type cover has been tested working on other surface device. Is there any solution to this problem like updating the driver firmware for type cover.

1. stacey says:

i’m having the exact same issue with the type cover. I’ve been on phone with microsoft for days…nothing’s working. My surface pro 3 won’t recognize my type cover.

6. stacey says:

do i need all of these downloaded to update…given that I’m running creator’s update version 1703?