January 2019 CU for SharePoint Server 2016 is available for download

The product group released the January 2019 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2016 product family. Be aware that only a language independent fix was released with January 2019 CU. The latest language dependent fix was released with October 2018 CU.

This CU also includes Feature Pack 1 which was released with December 2016 CU and Feature Pack 2 which was released with September 2017 CU.

The KB articles for January 2019 CU are available at the following location:

• KB 4461598 - January 2019 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (language independent) - This is also a security update!
  • There was no language dependent fix released for SharePoint 2016 in January.
  • There was no fix released for Office Online Server 2016 in January.

The download for January 2019 CU is available through the following link:

Important: It is required to install both fixes (language dependent and independent) to fully patch a SharePoint server. This applies also to servers which do not have language packs installed. The reason is that each SharePoint installation includes a language dependent component together with a language independent component. If additional language packs are added later (only) the language dependent fix has to be applied again.

It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.

After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.

SharePoint 2016 January 2019 CU Build Numbers:

Language independent fix: 16.0.4795.1001

To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.

You can use the SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module to identify the patch level of all SharePoint components.

Related Links:

1. Antoni S says:

Hi,
    i have applied January 2019 CU on SharePoint 2016 Platform with side by side enabled. In the configuration database i have this version :16.0.4792.1000, but when i navigate on my sites, i am redirected to this folder : _layouts/15/16.0.4795.1001 (with the right version number). I want to know, if it’s normal, and if anyone is in the same configuration like me ? Because i know that SharePoint 2016 patching is defferent of the older version.

Thanks

1. Antoni S says:

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your answer. I have already read these blogs. I would like just have confirmation, that Jannuary CU don’t update database configuration version.

1. Hi Antoni,
          of course it does.
          December CU has build 4783.1000. The Schema version you have seen is 4792.1000 which is several builds higher than 4783.1000. So it was changed since December CU.
          Cheers,
          Stefan

2. Nigel12 says:

Hi,
    My farm is currently at build at the November 2016 Patch.
    In order to patch it fully up-to-date, can I install just the latest January 2019 CU?
    If not, do I have to install EVERY monthly patch released from Dec 2016 up to now?
    Many thanks for your help.

1. Hi Nigel,

just installing January CU (or February CU which is the most current one) is sufficient.
      No need to install anythign in between.
      Be aware that you also have to install the latest language dependent fix which was released in October 2018 as mentioned in the blog post above.

Cheers,
      Stefan

1. Nigel12 says:

Hi Stefan,
        That’s great and good news.
        Thank you for your quick reply and your help!

3. Faye Müller says:

Hi,
    after we installaed the January CU on 2016 Sharepoint Farm i get this error on Content Database creation:
    “Sorry, something went wrong “Cannot alter the role ‘db_owner’, because it does not exist or you do not have permission.
    The Content DB was created, and seems to be ok, but I don’t understand this error.
    The user have this Role:
    – dbcreator
    – public
    – securityadmin
    – sysadmin

Thanks for help me
    Kind regards
    Faye

1. Faye Müller says:

Product Configuration Wizard run fine and PSConfig run fine.
      Thanks
      Regards
      Faye

2. Hi Faye,
      this is not an issue I have seen. I would recommend to open a ticket with Microsoft support to get this analyzed.
      Cheers,
      Stefan

1. Faye Müller says:

Hi Stefan,
        thanks for your reply.
        Open a case to Microsoft can be a solution,
        I saw that If I create a new Content Database using powershell works fine (no warning o error).
        Thanks