The product group released the Feature Pack 2 for the SharePoint Server 2016 product family.
Through the Feature Pack 2 which is included in September 2017 CU for SharePoint Server 2016 we’re delivering several new features based on customer feedback and developer needs, highlighting these investments, the SharePoint Framework.
The SharePoint Framework (SPFx) is a page and web part model that provides full support for client-side SharePoint development, easy integration with SharePoint data and support for open source tooling. With the SharePoint Framework, you can use modern web technologies and tools in your preferred development environment to build productive experiences and apps on SharePoint that are responsive and mobile-ready from day one!
Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016 contains the foundation of modern web part hosting and editing experiences, including core SPFx APIs, SPFx package deployment, and property panes.
To learn more about these enhancements refer to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=856819.
Feature Pack 2 also includes all the features earlier released in Feature Pack 1.
For more details about Feature Pack 2 please have a look at Bill Baers official blog post.
The KB articles for September 2017 CU with Feature Pack 2 are available at the following location:
- KB 4011127 - September 2o17 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 with Feature Pack 2 (language independent) - this is also a security update!
- KB 4011112 - September 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 with Feature Pack 2 (language dependent fixes)
- KB 3213658 - September 2017 Update for Office Online Server 2016 - this is also a security update!
The download for September 2017 CU is available through the following link:
- Download September 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 with Feature Pack 2 (language independent) – this is also a security update!
- Download September 2017 Update for SharePoint Server 2016 with Feature Pack 2(language dependent fixes)
- Download September 2017 Update for Office Online Server 2016 – this is also a security update!
It is irrelevant which language you pick on the drop down in download center. Even the language dependent fixes are all in the same package for all languages.
After installing the fixes you need to run the SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard on each machine in the farm. If you prefer to run the command line version psconfig.exe ensure to have a look here for the correct options.
SharePoint 2016 September 2017 CU Build Numbers:
Language Independent fix: 16.0.4588.1001
Language Dependent fix: 16.0.4588.1000
To understand the different version numbers please have a look at my article which explains the different SharePoint build numbers.
You can use the SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module to identify the patch level of all SharePoint components.
- Technet: Updated Product Servicing Policy for SharePoint Server 2016
- Blog: Common Question: What is the difference between a PU, a CU and a COD?
- Blog: SharePoint Patching demystified
- Blog: Why I prefer PSCONFIGUI.EXE over PSCONFIG.EXE
- Blog: September 2017 Office Update Release
- Technet: Update Center for Microsoft Office, Office Servers, and Related Products
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Patch Build Numbers Powershell Module
- Blog: SharePoint Server 2016 Zero-Downtime Patching Demystified
- Blog: SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.
- Blog: Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016 now available.