Have you ever gone looking for one thing only to find something else totally unrelated but really cool? Kinda like when you’re cleaning out your closet and accidentally stumble across that $50 gift card you got last Christmas but forgot about? Man, that’s a good feeling. And while what I found yesterday isn’t quite as cool as free money it’s close. I don’t even remember what it was I was looking for but I came across a bunch of great links over on one of our TechNet sites that will help you do all kinds of great stuff when it comes to migrating to Hyper-V (and SCVMM). There are utilities, scripts, and a whole lot more. I have the list below but you can find the original page here.
- Matthijs’ blog blog post describes the VMC2HV tool you can use to only import your Virtual Server and Virtual PC VM configurations (http://blogs.technet.com/matthts/archive/2008/09/12/vmc-to-hyper-v-import-tool-available.aspx). You can adjust almost any setting before creating the VM in Hyper-V.
- If you are an enterprise user, and want to import many VMs, and manage them after, you will want SCVMM : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb740737.aspx.
- You may find these scripts helpful:
- Hyper-V How To: Get VS Host info :Need to get VS Host info? Use this script at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/de31b908-7aaf-4fcd-b97e-f212acb75a06/
- Hyper-V How To: Get VM Drive Info : Need to get drive info off your VMs? Use this script at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/5d27374d-1497-449a-9742-a49b09a0171d/
- Hyper-V How To: Change VM HD from SCSI to IDE : Wondering how to change your VS/VPC VM hard drive config from SCSI to IDE (because once you move it to Hyper-V, you cannot boot from SCSI)? Use this script at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/ffc91290-6353-488d-9bce-a267e0292edd/
Hyper-V How To: Find VMs (virtual servers) Wondering how to find all your virtual servers so you can find VMs to migrate to Hyper-V? Use this script at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/7b34a150-db41-4c5a-b152-673d4c744ace/
It looks like the original list was put together by one of our moderators who goes by tonysoper so I can’t take any of the credit for putting this together, but if you have any feedback I’m sure it would be appreciated.
One a related note, mikekol just posted a link to his Windows Image to Virtual Hard Disk Converter (WIM2VHD) over on his blog. WIM2VHD is a tool that will create a bootable VHD from a specified Windows 7 or 2008 R2 WIM image (like the INSTALL.WIM file that ships on the installation DVDs) without having to run Windows Setup. And of course, like Mike says, while the underlying process of creating the VHDs is supported by Microsoft, WIM2VHD is not, but I think you’ll like it and find it super helpful all the same. You can find his original post at http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2009/02/06/announcing-the-windows-image-to-virtual-hard-disk-converter-wim2vhd.aspx.