There may be times where you need to enable Outlook logging to capture the account creation process which may be failing in Outlook. Use the steps below to create a PIM (Personal Information Manager) profile in Outlook.
- Close Outlook if it is running.
- Open the Mail item in Control Panel, and then click Show Profiles.
- Click Add in the Mail dialog box.
- Type PIM for the name of the new profile, and then click OK.
- In the Auto Account Setup window, click Cancel.
- Click OK when you are prompted to create a profile that contains no e-mail accounts.
- Check the feature Prompt for a profile to be used.
- Click OK to close the Mail item.
- Start Outlook and on the Outlook 2016 Welcome screen, click Next.
- In the Add and Email Account dialog box, select the No, and then click Next.
- Check Use Outlook without an email account feature and click Finish.
This will launch Outlook 2016 without any email accounts setup. You can enable logging by going to File > Options > Advanced > Other and checking the Enable troubleshooting logging (requires restarting Outlook) feature. Restart Outlook and add the email account by going to File > Add Account tab. Type in the details of the account which you are troubleshooting and click Next. The autodiscover process will kick off and will be captured under %temp%\outlook logging folder. The ETW logs which are in the format Outlook-########.etl will be the logs that need to be reviewed for root causes. The logs can only be reviewed thru Microsoft.