You may encounter a situation where Microsoft Intune clients experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- They suddenly stop reporting to the Microsoft admin console.
- They experience high CPU utilization.
- Applications install slowly when they're installed through the Intune portal.
- The Microsoft Intune Center triggers the following error:
An error occurred while updating your computer. Error found: Code 0x800705b4.
- The status field under Intune Admin Console > Groups > All Devices displays the following:
One or more agents that are installed on this computer have errors. The information for this computer may not be accurate or up to date.
This problem may occur if superseded updates have not been declined for an extended period. During certain processes, such as installing an application, Windows checks all superseded updates in sequence so that the updates and their successors can be correctly mapped. If the list of superseded updates grows too large, this checking task may cause high CPU utilization because of the processing load and time required. This issue primarily affect clients that are running Windows 7 because of the large number of superseded updates that are available for Windows 7. Windows 8 and later operating systems do not have as many available superseded updates and therefore are not as susceptible to this issue.
For complete details as well as steps to resolve this issue, please see the following:
J.C. Hornbeck, Solution Asset PM
Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Group