I’m Jeff Patterson, Program Manager for Work Folders.
We’re excited to announce that we’ve released an updated version of Work Folders for Android to the Google Play Store which enables users to sync files that were created or edited on their Android device.
Work Folders is a Windows Server feature since 20012 R2 that enables individual employees to access their files securely from inside and outside the corporate environment. The Work Folders app connects to the server and enables file access on your Android phone and tablet. Work Folders enables this while allowing the organization’s IT department to fully secure that data.
Using the latest version of Work Folders for Android, users can now:
- Sync files that were created or edited on their device
- Take pictures and write notes within the Work Folders application
- When working within other applications (i.e., Microsoft Word), the Work Folders location can be selected when opening or saving files. No need to open the Work Folders app to sync your files.
For the complete list of Work Folders for Android features, please reference the feature list section below.
Work Folders for Android – Feature List
- Sync files that were created or edited on your device
- Take pictures and write notes within the Work Folders app
- Pin files for offline viewing – saves storage space by showing all available files but locally storing and keeping in sync only the files you care about.
- Files are always encrypted – on the wire and at rest on the device.
- Access to the app is protected by an app passcode – keeping others out even if the device is left unlocked and unattended.
- Allows for DIGEST and Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) authentication mechanisms including multi factor authentication.
- Search for files and folders
- Open files in other apps that might be specialized to work with a certain file type
- Integration with Microsoft Intune
Android Version Support
- Work Folders for Android is supported on all devices running Android Version 4.4 KitKat or later.
- Microsoft Office files are read-only when opening the files from the Work Folders app. To workaround this issue, open the file from the Office application (e.g., Microsoft Word).
Blogs and Links
If you’re interested in learning more about Work Folders, here are some great resources:
- Work Folders blogs on Server Storage blog
- Nir Ben Zvi introduced Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Work Folders for iOS help
- Work Folders for Windows 7 SP1: Check out this post by Jian Yan on the Server Storage blog
- Roiy Zysman posted a great list of Work Folders resources in this blog.
- See this Q&A With Fabian Uhse, Program Manager for Work Folders in Windows Server 2012 R2
- Also, check out these posts about how to setup a Work Folders test lab, certificate management,
and tips on running Work Folders on Windows Failover Clusters.
- Using Work Folders with IIS websites or the Windows Server Essentials Role (Resolving Port Conflicts)
Introduction and Getting Started
- Introducing Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Work Folders Overview on TechNet
- Designing a Work Folders Implementation on TechNet
- Deploying Work Folders on TechNet
- Work folders FAQ (Targeted for Work Folders end users)
- Work Folders Q&A
- Work Folders Powershell Cmdlets
- Work Folders Test Lab Deployment
- Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 — Work Folders
- Work Folders for Windows 7
Advanced Work Folders Deployment and Management
- Work Folders interoperability with other file server technologies
- Performance Considerations for Work Folders Deployments
- Windows Server 2012 R2 – Resolving Port Conflict with IIS Websites and Work Folders
- A new user attribute for Work Folders server Url
- Work Folders Certificate Management
- Work Folders on Clusters
- Monitoring Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders Deployments.
- Deploying Work Folders with AD FS and Web Application Proxy (WAP)
- Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders in a Virtual Machine in Windows Azure
- Offline Files (CSC) to Work Folders Migration Guide
- Management with Microsoft Intune
- Windows Server Work Folders Overview: My Corporate Data on All of My Devices
- Windows Server Work Folders – a Deep Dive into the New Windows Server Data Sync Solution
- Work Folders on Channel 9
- Work Folders iPad reveal – TechEd Europe 2014 (in German)
- Work Folders on the “Edge Show” (iPad + iPhone video, English)
- Work Folders for Android on Channel 9