Released: Update Rollup 1 for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2

Earlier today the Exchange CXP team released Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 SP2 to the Download Center.

This update contains a number of customer-reported and internally found issues since the release of SP2. See KB 2645995: Description of Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2′ for more details.

Note: If some of the following KB articles do not work yet, please try again later.

We would like to specifically call out the following fixes which are included in this release:

• New updates for Dec DST – Exchange 2010 – SP2 RU1 – Display name for OWA.
  • 2616230 Exchange 2010 CAS server treats UTF-7 encoding NAMESPACE string from CHS Exchange 2003 BE server as ASCII, caused IMAP client fails to login.
  • 2599663 RCA crashes when recipient data is stored in bad format.
  • 2492082 Freebusy publish to Public Folders fails with 8207 event.
  • 2557323 “UseLocalReplicaForFreeBusy” functionality needed in Exchange 2010.
  • 2621266 Exchange 2010 Mailbox Databases not reclaiming space.
  • 2543850 Exchange 2010 GAL based Outlook rule not filtering emails correctly.

General Notes:

For DST Changes: http://www.microsoft.com/time.

Note for Forefront Protection for Exchange users  For those of you running Forefront Protection for Exchange, be sure you perform these important steps from the command line in the Forefront directory before and after this rollup’s installation process. Without these steps, Exchange services for Information Store and Transport will not start after you apply this update. Before installing the update, disable ForeFront by using this command: fscutility /disable. After installing the update, re-enable ForeFront by running fscutility /enable.

Exchange Team

1. Chris - YPO says:

Nice Fixes, noticed a few of these bugs myself since SP2 install. Thanks for the release!

2. Exfolders 'Recovery Partially Succeeded' says:

Hi Guys

I am using ExFolders 14.17.97.0 with Exchange 2010 SP2. When i try to recover a deleted Public Folder i have the Error 'Recovery Partially Succeeded'.

Exchange 2010 SP1 Update Rollup 3 -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder works

Exchange 2010 SP1 Update Rollup 4 -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder does NOT work

Exchange 2010 SP1 Update Rollup 5 -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder works

Exchange 2010 SP1 Update Rollup 6 -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder does NOT work

Exchange 2010 SP2  -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder does NOT work

Exchange 2010 SP2  Update Rollup 1 -> Recover deleted Folder with ExFolder works

What are you doing? Why this only works on uneven Update Rollups?

See Thread at blogs.technet.com/…/recovering-public-folders-after-accidental-deletion-part-1-recovery-process.aspx

Regards Andres

3. HotFix says:

I would like to call out the update support.microsoft.com/…/2585649 "The StartDagServerMaintenance.ps1 script fails in an Exchange Server 2010 environment" as this has been driving us nuts and we really appreciate it being fixed.

4. "Before installing the update, disable ForeFront by using this command: fscutility /disable. After installing the update, re-enable ForeFront by running fscutility /enable." – Really? Do I need to disable FF again?

5. Arjan says:

Installed Rollup 1, and noticed a bug in Dutch OWA:

In bread crumbs, and everywhere else where it says "Mail", it says "Globale adreslijst" in the Dutch interface, which translates to "Global addresslist". It should say "Berichten", which translates to "Mail". Looks to me like an error in the language specific DLL.

Tested this in SP2 without Rollups:

Bug exists as well

Tested this in SP1 with Rollup 3v3:

No bug.

Conclusion? Bug appeared in SP2

Other than that, thanks for fixing some annoying bugs :)

6. Arjan Mensch says:

Adding to that (Arjan here, signed in now):

I have copied Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Strings.resources.dll from C:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange ServerV14ClientAccessOwaBinnl on a Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3v3 machine to my Exchange 2010 SP2 UR1 machine, and this fixes the problem.

Probably generating other problems in the process, but at least this proves the "bug" is in that DLL, and it appeared after installing SP2

7. @Arjan – I would not advise using the SP1 RU3 DLL with SP2 builds as other string changes have been made to the product that could result in client errosr if they cannot be properly displayed.

@Martijn – Yes, SP2 RU1 includes the fix that resulted in the MSExchangeServices application pool to crash due  special characters in the database name.  No, SP2 RU1 does not address the Dutch OWA localization issue.

Ross

8. HotFix says:

@ Stanislav Buldakov – the once mentioned this wasn't necessary for an Exchange 2010 SP1 RU, and every machine we followed their advice on was left with Forefront not being integrated properly. Seeing as how they brought back the old directions which did seem to work properly, I would strongly advise you use them to make sure Forefront integration is maintained.

9. Karsten says:

customer-reported and internally found issues since the release of RU1 … should be since release of SP2 I think?

10. Nino Bilic says:

@Karsten – indeed, fixed. :)

11. Chris - YPO says:

Installed RU1 last night "Took forever!" but everything seems good. Seems that the Calendar bug with Activesync requires a update/save of the item before it updates on the mobile device.

Install had an issue with store.exe not starting but discovered i had to uninstall Barracuda Exchange AV add-in, then it worked. Installing the Add-in after getting it started worked. So far so good here.

12. Mike D says:

I'm installing this roll up now, and I seem to be stuck near the end, 'Starting Services'.  I'm a newb to this, but does it normally take 40+ mins (the amt of time I have been waiting) for the exchange services to start back up?

13. Chris _ YPO says:

It took my standby DAG Server forever on that step. I don't know about 40 minutes, but it took quite awhile. I think it was related to the Barracuda AV add-in, AV could be messing with yours. Only my other DAG Server when I went to do the roll up I uninstalled the AV Add-in and it went much faster on that step. Could be related, but Yes it took awhile.

14. Mike D says:

Thanks Chris.  I was starting to panic there a little.  I have an old and slow Dell 2850 that may have added to the delay :)

I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I did dump out of my RDC session and a few mins later it decided to finish.

15. ahwc says:

can I run SP2-RU1 immediately after SP2 without reboot?    Thanks

16. Blacktoe3 says:

ahwc – I imagine that you should be able to throw the Update Rollup 1 package for SP2 in the Updates folder for the install directory and that should install the service pack and the rollup.  This is at least how we did it with SP1.

17. Karsten says:

– Could you please check if KB2543850 ist really in the SP2 RU1 – I cant get a Rule against Global Adresslist get working.

– If I delete many mails keeping delete Button pressed I get the Error "A clientactivity failed" after a while. This is only with activated Previw. Its ok with OLK2003 the Problem now is with OLK 2010 – Could you please correct this in the next RU?

18. Karsten says:

I am waiting a long time for an other fix which is still not In this RU:

If I make a Public Folder member of a group (for example with exchange 2010 management Console) the Tab of the public folder stays empty. I think this is a bug.

19. franc1 says:

Why isn't the Dutch OWA translation bug (Mail tab is called 'Globale Adreslijst' (=Global Address list)) still not fixed in RU1. It was introduced in SP2. This is a really simple but annoying bug that affects every Dutch customer and that can be fixed easily.

20. g_riley24@hotmail.com says:

@Blacktoe3

Good idea re putting the RU in the SP2 Updates folder.  I have yet to install SP2 so that would save me time however according to this page is states that applying RU's during SP installations is untested / unsupported.

technet.microsoft.com/…/ff637981.aspx

21. Blacktoe3 says:

@Birtybasset

You're absolutely right.  We actually performed this during our first installation of Exchange 2010 SP1 into our Exchange 2007 environment so it would have been a first time install, not an upgrade from a previous rtm/sp.  Good call!

22. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

@ Franc and other interested in the Dutch OWA bug – We hope to have some good news on this in the next few days. It wasn't forgotten I can assure you. We can't update lang packs in a roll-up (long technical reasons that I shall not go in to, as frankly I don't fully understand them myself but I trust those people who tell me such things). So we need to release that out of band with some instructions. It's coming.

23. Spiridon says:

Looks like OWA CAS-CAS Proxying 2010 -> 2007 is broken with this RU.

Error: "Invalid user context cookie found in proxy response"

After deinstalling RU1 everything's fine.

24. franc1 says:

@Greg

ok, thanks. Glad to hear. I was told by MS The Netherlands that it wouldn't be fixed until the next SP. Can you keep us posted through this blog?

25. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

@ Franc, we will have something out in the next few days.

@ Spiridon – we are aware of this and there will be a blog post about this later today I expect.

26. Ed says:

Can you tell us how to correct this. We got this running update rollup 1.

SI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:058]: Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Microsoft Exchange Server. Product Version: 14.2.247.5. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Update Name: Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (KB2645995) 14.2.283.3. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:058]: Note: 1: 1729

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:058]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (4C:8C) [01:41:08:073]: Product: Microsoft Exchange Server — Configuration failed.

27. MailHosted says:

We had to make a load of AdsiEdit tweaks to our Hosted Exchange 2010 SP1 (non /hosting mode) at http://www.mailhosted.co.uk to implement user/GAL segregation. Will SP2 screw these up if I upgrade?

28. Lars Bornich says:

yay – the extest canary problems are back! :(

Current User: ‘contoso.com/Users/extest_6097560ed1984’

Exchange Control Panel detected an invalid canary from request for URL ‘mail.contoso.com/…/GetList&.

Canary in cookie: ‘MWS97cWjt0K5jBv-L-c-t6mYEMOAv84Isf9hZuj-WIZ077fAKe4yWP6-CZAyh5JBdP0I2PI0tHE.’ mismatch with canary in header/form: ‘, in URL ‘.

29. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

@ MailHosted – you need to do some more reading, that's not a simple answer. have a look at the recent blog posts we have done on hosting and ABP's and the newsgroup – social.technet.microsoft.com/…/threads here. And I hope you documented all your ADSI 'tweaks'.

30. Matt says:

Should you see this on Windows/Microsoft Update?  I am not seeing it find anything for RU1…  I have service pack 2 installed on Exchange.

31. franc1 says:

Hi,

for those interested in the Dutch OWA localization bug, there's a fix available:

support.microsoft.com/…/en-us

However, after installing this language pack the application log is filling up with error messages like this

The Active Directory entry for mailbox <mailboxname> contains an invalid locale for attribute MsExchUserCulture: nl-NL.

Normally you would get this error when not all exchange servers have the same language pack, but we have a single server installation so that's not the case. I've already opened a support case for this.

32. I also experience the Application Log errors mentioned by Franc after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 Language Pack Bundle:

Event ID: 10013

Task Category: General

Level: Error

Description:

The Active Directory entry for mailbox <name> contains an invalid locale for attribute MsExchUserCulture: nl-NL,en-US.

Martijn

33. Merci says:

Uuups, OWA did not work anymore on several CAS servers ! There were no more themes in the path for the owa service …. Do you have any solution?

34. @Franc: please restart the server and check Application Log again.

Martijn

35. franc1 says:

@Martijn: reboot doesn't solve it. Applog still filling up with the error massages.

36. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

Franc, we are looking into this, but please keep working with the support engineer to see if you can get to the bottom of it. I have that same value configured on my test user and I don't get the events, so we just need to figure out the difference. Users can still access OWA and work though?

37. franc1 says:

@Greg: Yes, everything is woking fine except for the errors in de log.

38. Same as Franc: after restart still errors in application log but OWA seems to be working fine.

39. Greg,

According to What's new with Exchange 2010 languages support? (blogs.technet.com/…/3409288.aspx):

■After installing the Exchange language packs, restart the computer to complete the installation of the language packs.

Is it required to restart the server after updating an Exchange Server with Exchange 2010 SP2 Language Pack Bundle? During installation setup will stop/start Exchange services but does not mention to restart the server.

Martijn

40. franc1 says:

The MS engineer I'm working with on the case is able to repro the issue in his lab. He's looking into it.

Franc.

41. MadsD says:

Do not upgrade from Exchange 2010 SP1 UR 6 directly to Exchange 2010 SP2 UR1 (by placing UR1 in the updates folder).

The above basically rendered one of my CAS/HUB-servers unusable (I won't directly blame MS but it happend to me).

Instead I basically did this:

1. Recovered the server with the original SP1 + UR6 update (setup.com /M:RecoverServer

2. Installed SP2

3 Installed SP2 UR1

The recoverserver was a bit evil for me, because it really wasn't a freshly installed server – I had to follow some KB-articles to be able to actually get it running again – but nevermind.

This post is just to warn admins to be aware! :)

42. Pierre says:

I noticed a bug on my Edge server since SP2:

Version does not get updated

I tried to install this Rollup pack; it went fine but the server still reports that it has version 14.1 (Build 218.15).

43. Pierre says:

I was wrong with my last post; this RU corrects the version bug introduced by SP2.

My edge subscription was broken, that's why I did not see correct version in the first place.

44. Andrey says:

KB2543850 (GAL based Outlook rule) is still not fixed in this SP2 RU1.

Gents, we are waiting that from SP1 RU5….

45. DeeNick1 says:

Same issue after Language Pack SP2 update….. :(

The Active Directory entry for mailbox contains an invalid locale for attribute MsExchUserCulture: ru-RU

Any news?

46. Martijn says:

@Franc: any update on this?

47. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

@ DeeNick1 – the updated language pack is ONLY needed if you have the Dutch OWA issue described in the KB. There's no reason for anyone not using nl-nl to install it.

48. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

I'll add to that, the reason you don't need the language pack is that SP2 contains it in the download. No need to install seperately.

49. franc1 says:

@Martijn: I got a reply today from the engineer. It's a confirmed bug in the language pack that occurs when installing it on a multi-role server. The issue doesn't occur when installed on a CAS only server. Also, it's not specific to the nl-nl locale, it happens with all locales. He will inform me when a hotfix is available. It bothers me quite a bit though, they fix a simple translation error and introduce another bigger bug. I don't understand why this wasn't detected during testing.

50. tx_scubadude says:

Is it just me or am I the only person seeing whitespace issues after installing this RU?  I was hoping after the install my "availablenewmailboxspace" would increase drastically so that I could perform an offline defrag, but it only show about 1GB (on a 400+ GB .edb file).  The whitespace # should be over 200 GB based on mailboxstats.

I have a ticket open with MS but it could take a while to figure this out, and they are already recommending I create new databases and migrate users over.  I am also reading blogs and CRM version 4 can cause .edb files to grow out of control.  Any truth to that?

Thanks

51. AM says:

After installing this Update Rollup 1, our Outlook for Mac 2011 clients will periodically get prompted for their user account and password. Keeps popping up for those clients, they can send/receive email but it is annoying, other Outlook clients are fine. OWA is fine. Any known fixes?

52. DeeNick1 says:

@Franc

Please post the update when the hotfix is available. Thank you!

53. HotFix says:

@tx_scubadude – You should avoid performing an offline defrag. Microsoft's guidance has been to create a new mailbox database and move the users to it for multiple reasons, one of the big ones being that in an offline defrag the database is dismounted and unavailable to the users during the offline defrag unlike the online move.

As to why you aren't seen white space how up, I'm not sure we can attest to why without knowing the specifics about your enviornment.

54. Posixx says:

Same here, getting event 10013 after adding the languagepackbundle. Hopefully a fix wil be out soon!

55. icrosoft Exchange Server - Update 'Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (KB264599 says:

Greetings,

getting the above error.  Any ideas how to fix?

56. PolisY says:

Microsoft Exchange Server – Update 'Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (KB2645995) 14.2.283.3' could not be installed. Error code 1603.

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Note: 1: 1729

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (c) (FC:70) [14:38:02:005]: Product: Microsoft Exchange Server — Configuration failed.

57. bitjaeger says:

1603 -> You must run the Patch as administrator or deactivate User account control…

58. ktaber says:

Does one need to apply this update if you just have the Management Tools installed?

59. Jason says:

After I installed exchange 2010 sp2 rollup1, it still shows 14.2 247.5

and I can't see it from "uninstall a program"

Any idea

60. bonjour says:

@Merci. did you get the OWA themes issue resolved, we have the same problem. not themes, no java scripts

61. franc1 says:

@Greg: any idea when the fix for the application log errors after instelling the updated dutch language pack is available? The case I've opened has been closed as confirmed bug. But no solution is available yet.

62. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

Franc, still being worked on, but I can't tell you anything more than that at the moment I'm sorry. I am constantly chasing this myself on behalf of those affected I can assure you. When I have more news I'll re-post.

63. @Greg please answer about OWA problems.

I didn't have problems in test lab, but in production i have problem

Folder theme:

"c:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange ServerV14ClientAccessOwa14.2.283.3themes"

missing

folder

"c:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange ServerV14ClientAccessOwa14.2.283.3scripts"

contain no files

I copied it from test lab but still not working.

64. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

Dmitriy, I have seen this once or twice too. Make sure you do a complete file/folder copy over the top of what you have from another box with a complete and working install and it should start working.

The scripts folder should have two sub folders, and themes should have a ton of stuff in it.

Once you have the entire folder structure copied from another machine, do an IISReset and try again.

65. DeeNick1 says:

BTW, after localozation update I've found that new users get English folders name, not the localized name.

Any idea how to solve this before the fix from MSFT?

66. Greg Taylor [msft] says:

@ DeeNick1 – go into ECP and to the regional settings slab. There's a checkbox there which allows you to rename folders when changing languages. Check that and ok it.

67. DeeNick1 says:

@Greg Taylor

Thank you! Perfect! Need a deeper dive into EX2010 :)

Still waiting for a fix ;)

68. Bitjaeger says:

New Bug wich could be for some of you a Problem (For us it is):

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/f1cb74fb-ffb6-40f0-9cd0-2cc7ffc3a81d

69. brian@sounditservices.com says:

Still getting OWA search failures even after installing SP2 and rollup 1 on a single server deployment that has never had any roles changed.. Tried the procedures listed at blogs.technet.com/…/after-installing-exchange-2010-service-pack-1-searching-via-owa-or-outlook-online-mode-fails.aspx with no luck. Getting the 9877 / 0x80043629 error listed below.

Source:        MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store

Date:          3/20/2012 7:54:47 PM

Event ID:      9877

Task Category: Content Indexing

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Description:

Content Indexing function 'CISearch::EcGetRowsetAndAccessor' received an unusual and unexpected error code from MSSearch.

Mailbox Database: Mailbox Database 1709003858

Error Code: 0x80043629

70. Ivaylo I. Rusev says:

Yesterday I updated my Exchange organization with Update Rollup 1 for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 without stopping Forefront Protection and everything works fine.  I presume that is for precaution.

71. AlexAl says:

we have some troubles with BackupExec 2012R3 and Ex2010 SP2RU1.

We can make backup DB but can't make restore it.

We tested it before RU1 and have no problem with restore.

Also we can make restore on server without RU1.

Error:

V-79-57344-65233 – Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: 0x800423f3, State: 0001.

Any comments? oalisevich@hotmail.com

72. AlexAl says:

About

we have some troubles with BackupExec 2012R3 and Ex2010 SP2RU1.

We can make backup DB but can't make restore it.

fixed by symantec patch.