Released: v14.4 of the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator

Important: We’ve released version 14.4 to replace versions 14.1 and 14.2 of the calculators due to bugs found. Please download the latest version.

Today we’ve released an update to the E2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator that addresses several usability issues identified in the v12.8 release.  To see what’s new in this version and to download it, please go to Updates to the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator!

More details about the calculator (updated for this new version) in Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator.

Comments welcome!

Ross Smith IV

1. Kushi says:

Just tried this against a previous configuration that worked in ver 12.1.8. I now have an issue with the "Number of HA database copy instances deployed in secondary datacenter" It says I now have too many HA db copies in the secondary datacenter than primary. Is there a bug here.

2. Exchange says:

Kushi – This came to my attention yesterday and I just posted a new version which I believe will address the issue (assuming you were deploying a 2-node stretched DAG).

3. Kushi says:

Yes, I am deploying a two node stretched DAG (multi-role server) solution – Thanks I pull down the latest version and give it go.

4. Ramy says:

I am a beginner in using Exchange 2010 calculator, is the comments that describes each options in cells is enough, or I should review all Technet Exchange 2010 Design documents?

Thanks for your feedback.

5. hany says:

First of all I would like to thank you for the great effort you are continuously doing; secondly I have a small suggestion on the database configuration if you can add an option that will determine to have one mailbox quota database or multiple mailboxes quota database; Thanks

Warm Regards …

Hany Samir Donia

6. Yesterday I used sheet version 14.4 to define requirements for a customer (6000 users). The customer plans to deploy a 3-node DAG with 24 Activated databases. The server will have 8 cores with a SPECint2006 Rate Value of 211. Can anybody help me to interpret the results of the Processor Core Ratio Requirements?

Number of Mailbox Cores Required to Support Activated Databases 1

Recommended Minimum Number of Hub Transport Cores 1

Recommended Minimum Number of Client Access Cores 1

Recommended Minimum Number of Global Catalog Cores 1

7. NAdmin says:

Great work Ross!!! May I suggest a small Wish.. In few organization there are sometimes more catogories. Currently there are four Tier , Can this be increased to accomodate organizations with atleast 6 Categories.

8. Roy says:

Me in a Big Dilema… Please help…..I am doing a Exchange 2010 Transition for around 26,000 users and targeting to size for 40,000. In the current scenario we have 5 CCR and the storage of around 32 TB out of which only 15 TB is being utilized. When I used the Calculator to create 2 HA copies I was suggested a storage size of around 100 TB – 120 TB . Now the problem is I am having a hard time convincing my Boss  on the Storage required as he is asking me why has the storage grown 4 times. I have tried to convince him on the various types of profile and the calculations but to no luck. He is right in saying that if my current Infrastructure is under utilized why should I go ahead and invest more. I am worried as to what should I opt. Please help.

9. Peter Noorderijk says:

A while ago I used the Mailbox Role Calculator for sizing a small environmentl. Because of some political posturing three companies must be divided over three databases. The smallest one was 25 users with a Mailbox Size limit of 1024 MB. The LOG LUN requirements
    for this database was proposed as a 1GB LOG LUN. But this will not work.

When the Exchange store detects that the space available on a log or database drive is below 1 GB, it cuts off all transport delivery to that database. This is to prevent a disk running out of space. When a disk runs out of space, the database can’t be mounted
    or debugged. The database space also can’t be reclaimed. This is a self-protecting mechanism that only occurs if you don’t react to the space issue warnings from your monitoring infrastructure.

When the disk space goes above 1.5 GB, the Exchange store allows deliveries to continue.

So the minimal size for a LOG LUN must be increased.

10. isaac says:

For some reason, none of the links above leads me to download v14.4 of the calculator. Is there any way of downloading it?

11. Raffaele says:

The download link is not working…

12. tony says:

Where is the calculator? Seem to get lost among all links….

13. KC says:

Fix this please.. link is not working

14. says:

Links are broken everywhere I go for the calc…

15. Annoyed says:

Where is the download for the calculator? Everything just redirects to the main blog page which is useless!!!!

16. says:

The link provided above for downloading the Calculator doesn't work (opens a page seying "Group Not Found")

Can anyone post a correct link!

17. says:

Please I didin´t find the Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator, please I read a lo of threads and none of the links provided are workin?

18. Hi All,

The links to the calculator are currently not redirecting correctly (we are aware of this and are actively working on the solution).

In the mean time, you can find the Calculator files in the Library tab under Downloads:…/Files

This is a temperary holding area for these files while the new solution is coming online.

Comments are closed.