The fix for installation of Exchange 2007 SP2 with Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controllers is now available.

We have released the updated Setup prerequisite files for the problem we wrote about in Exchange 2007 SP2 Setup fails if all domain controllers are running Windows Server 2008 R2. This fix will unblock Exchange 2007 SP2 setup in those environments.

Installation on non-Internet connected computers

Using an Internet connected computer:

1. Download and extract Exchange 2007 SP2 to a local hard drive.

2. Download the updated ExBPA.PreReqs.xml and ExBPA.Readiness.xml files listed below. Please note: We suggest that you right-click the link and select "Save target as..." as otherwise the XML file might open in your browser window:

3. Save the files to your local hard drive.

Note: Do not make any modifications to downloaded xml files. Modifying those files will result in Setup failure.

4. Locate ExBPA.PreReqs.xml and ExBPA.Readiness.Xml files which were extracted from the Exchange 2007 SP2 download. The default location is "Setup\ServerRoles\Common\<language>". Rename original XML files to something else or save them to a different location.

5. Place the ExBPA.PreReqs.xml and ExBPA.Readiness.Xml files which you downloaded into the place of original xml files.

6. Copy the Exchange 2007 SP2 setup files that you have modified to the non-Internet connected Exchange Server which you are trying to upgrade to Exchange 2007 SP2.

7. Run Setup on the non-Internet connected computer by using the files you copied as per above.

If you are installing Exchange 2007 SP2 from the DVD media

1. Copy the Setup files to the local hard drive. This step is necessary, because if Setup is run from a DVD, it will not check for updated XML files. This applies to both Internet and non-Internet connected computers.

2. Follow the applicable directions from above, depending on if the computer is connected to the Internet or not.

Once the new XML files are in the right place, Exchange 2007 SP2 setup should pass the prerequisite check phase if there are only Windows 2008 R2 domain controllers in the environment.

- Nino Bilic

1. Hi Goran,

As mentioned before (e.g. see our supportability matrix post) we do not support Exchange 2007 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.  We will posting a blog article shortly that goes into more detail.

We sign the XML files, thus why if you edit them, setup fails.

Ross

2. slands says:

Found this fix earlier today as we were troubleshooting the issue, seems to have worked so far, many thanks.

What a shambles!

3. Edwin says:

I get confused at step 1. Before I can install SP2 I have to install Exchange 2007 without service pack. That will not work in an Windows 2008 R2 forest.

The situation is: I have one domain controller which is a Windows 2008 R2 machine. Forest and domain functional level set to Windows 2008 R2. I added a Windows 2008 server to the domain. How do I install Exchange 2007 on that machine?

4. David De Vos says:

Hi

We see something very weird as I’m still getting an error that the AD is a Windows 2008 R2 server.  We followed the exact procedure as described and did it twice from scratch.

Our schema master and Exchange servers are not in the same AD-site, but they are in the same domain.  I’m guessing that could be a cause ?

David

5. Exchange says:

@ David De Vos – could I ask you to either start a thread in our Exchange forums or open up a support case on this? I am not aware of this being a widespread problem, and blog comments are not really great for troubleshooting issues. Some more information will be needed etc…

6. StillAtExchange2003 says:

We are still at Exchange 2003sp2.  Will having Windows 2008 domain controllers affect our Windows 2003 infrastructure in any way, including the ability to install or reinstall Exchange 2003 sp2?

Thanks,

7. StillAtExchange2003 says:

Thanks,

8. Exchange says:

@ StillAtExchange2003: no. Exchange 2003 SP2 supports Windows 2008 DCs. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338574.aspx see under "Supported Active Directory Environments"

9. paris paraskevas says:

replaced the files but setup still says that it will not support windows server 2008 r2

does the computer have to be disconnected from the internet for this to work??? I am tying to set this up on a remote comuter using remote desktop connection.

any help will be much apreciated

10. paris paraskeva says:

My bad then! So there is no way on installing Exchnage Server 2007 SP2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 DC???

That is soooooo disappointing!

Will At least exchange 2010 support installations on Windows Server 2008 R2??? when it gets released!

I guess i will have to go back to a Windows Server 2008 installation with exchange 2007 sp2.

11. paris paraskeva says:

I already installed Exchnage 2010 and all is well.

Havent tried it with entouage,iphone, outlook 2007 yet but owa and everything looks very promising!

Also i have read that the you will be able to uprade from RC to the final when its released to there is no reason to hold off installing 2010.

RC is feature complete and should not take more than 2-3 months for the final to come out since thats when it expires!

12. tom says:

When will Exchange 2007 SP2 supported to install management tools on Win7 RTM 64-bit?

13. Mark says:

Dido!!!

When will Exchange 2007 SP2 supported to install management tools on Win7 RTM 64-bit.

There are some who state it can work however, I have not been able to figure it out.

14. Ogorunzew says:

MS should have pressed Apple to delay SLeo after the release of exch2k10. Would have saved me from a load of trouble and anger (cxo’s love to use macs)

15. bill says:

how about instructions for an internet connected server?!?

16. Craig says:

Evan after downloading all the updated files, I still get the error –

This computer is running Windows server 2008 r2 standard exchange server 2007 is not supported on this operating system

Is there anything else I need to do?

17. Exchange says:

Craig – I think there is a misunderstanding here; the files above will not make it so Exchange 2007 SP2 can be installed ON a W2008 R2. It will make it so Exchange 2007 SP2 can work with W2008 R2 DCs as the only DC OS.

18. Arnoud says:

I Have A functional level 2008 R2 Forest,

A 2008 with exchange SP1 in sub domain of Forest.

setup /prepareAD  no go!!!

on 2008 with exchange:  not in domain Schema master

on 2008 R2 DC:  2008 R2 not supported

I am not trying to install Exchange just update the AD……..

19. thomas says:

So will Exchange 2007 never run on 2008 R2 or is an update planned?

Please answer asap cause I then have to reinstall my domaincontroller with 2008 Standard SP2.

Thanks

20. thomas says:

Thanks for that information, so I’m quiet shure there is no schedule to rely on, when the update will be available. We are having a project now

and I don’t realy know, how long they will wait for theire exchange to be up and running.

Greetings

Thomas

21. Robert-C says:

Ok, I did the update and still get the following errors:

Error:
    This computer is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. Exchange Server 2007 is not supported on this operating system.

Recommended Action:

Error:
    Cannot find at least one global catalog server running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later in the local Active Directory site.

Recommended Action:

Same result on all tests except the first one and last one that don’t get the global catalog error. Server is Windows 2008 R2 as others above. What’s not working right? How do Technet subscribers get support? This could endup costing more than a new super server
    to fix…

I’m ready to walk away from recommending this to our clients since we’ve hit road block after road block and currently stuck in a HUGE pothole…

22. Robert-C says:

But I’m not above admitting the possibility that it’s something that I did…

23. Exchange says:

Robert-C – the updates mentioned in this blog post do NOT allow the E2007 SP2 to run on top of W2008 R2. As far as that goes, please see the following blog post:

So it is not something that you did, no.

24. Josh says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but where can you get Exchange 2007 with SP2?  MSDN only has 2007 SP1, the Exchange site only has 2007 w/SP1? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/bb330851.aspx

Where can I get 2007 w/ SP2?

25. Robert-C says:

So it won’t work until next year. Maybe…

I find the decision to not support it astounding. Is Exchange 2007 supported on Server 2008? I assume so, right? So why the decision to not support it on Server 2008 R2? Just on the face of it, it makes less than zero sense. I’ve got clients that love their Office 2000 on XP and Vista. Yah think that Microsoft could finally kill that off and force people to get Office 2007? Heck no. They leave people with Server 2008 R2 without a supported email server instead? Please kill off Office 2000!

Is there a version of Exchange that WILL run on 2008 R2?

26. thomas says:

Hi, I’m doing just like in the instruction above and always get the following error:

I:EXCHSP2>setup /PrepareSchema

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

Copying Setup Files              ……………………. COMPLETED

No server roles will be installed

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Organization Checks              ……………………. FAILED

An error occurred while running the test. The computer may be out of memory

, or the XML files have been modified.

Parameter name: ConfigurationFileLocation

Please help, what am I doing wrong

Im installing from maped networkdrive

27. thomas says:

By the way, on which machine do I have to

setup /PrepareSchema and

setup /PrepareAD [/OrganizationName:  <organization name>  ]

I only have one DC (2k8 R2).

All my servers are connected to internet.

On my R1 memberserver I got:

I:EXCHSP2>setup /PrepareSchema

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

Copying Setup Files              ……………………. COMPLETED

No server roles will be installed

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Organization Checks              ……………………. FAILED

The Active Directory Schema is not up-to-date and Ldifde.exe is not install

ed on this computer. You must install Ldifde.exe by running ‘ServerManagerCmd -i

RSAT-ADDS’ or restart setup on a domain controller.

On the DC I get:

I:EXCHSP2>setup /PrepareSchema

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

Copying Setup Files              ……………………. COMPLETED

No server roles will be installed

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Organization Checks              ……………………. FAILED

The Active Directory Schema is not up-to-date and Ldifde.exe is not install

RSAT-ADDS’ or restart setup on a domain controller.

28. thomas says:

Ok sorry, one of the xml files was corrupted, after redownloading everything worked fine

29. bala says:

I’m trying to run /PrepareSchema using Exchange 2007 SP2 on Windows 2008 R2 DC’s and both domain/forest functional level is Windows 2003. Even after replacing the files mentioned in this article it still files.

Here is error message

C:E12SP1>setup.com /ps

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

No server roles will be installed

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Organization Checks              ……………………. FAILED

The Active Directory schema will be upgraded if you continue. Verify that the o

rganization is ready for Exchange 2007 by running the Exchange 2007 Readiness Ch

eck, which is part of the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer.

This computer is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. Exchange Server

2007 is not supported on this operating system.

The Exchange Server Setup operation did not complete. For more information, visi

t http://support.microsoft.com and enter the Error ID.

Am I missing anything here? Please suggest me.

30. Andy says:

Bala – the update in the post don’t allow E2k7 SP2 to run on W2008 R2. please see the following blog post:

What it does allow is E2k7 to run against W2k8 R2 DCs

31. cskp says:

hi

We have exchange 2007 sp2 on 2 windows 2003 dc domain environment,exchange server work fine.

I search microsoft document ,it say excchange 2007 sp2 support windows 2008 r2 domain,I upgrade 1 of 2 windows 2003 dc to windows 2008 r2  three days ago.

I find out exchange 2007 gui show out only 1 windows 2003 dc,windows 2008 r2 dc not on list.

plase talk to me fix this issue

thx a lot!

32. Dekado says:

This solution will only work if you have domain controller on Win2008R2

you still cannot install exchange 2007 on R2 server.

I found simple solution – copy ExBPA.PreReqs from exchange 2010 distributive to exchange 2007 common<language> folder.

this will allow you to install exchange 2007 on R2.

and yes, it works perfectly, whatever exchange team told us )

Comments are closed.