How to tell which version of Update Rollup you have installed?

As we have released Exchange 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 4 on Microsoft Update two days ago, a question came up: how do you tell which version of the Update Rollup is installed?

The simplest answer is to go to Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet. Then:

1. Make sure that "Show updates" checkbox is checked
  2. Click on the Update Rollup that you are trying to figure out version information for
  3. Click on the "Click here for support information" link

The version will be displayed like this:

This applies to pretty much all other updates too, Exchange related or not.

- Nino Bilic

That "Nino" and "Scott Roberts (Exchange)" are AWESOME! They seem to know exactly what I need to here.

2. Chad says:

what about us who manage more than 1 server and like to schedule checks or use powershell/vbs. Is there any better way to script the check of what update roll up is installed?

3. Frank says:

bug:

– We don’t have a flat DNS namespace.

– Our domain is "DOMAIN" our DNS zone is "domain.local"

– Each office has it’s own sub zone, for example Vancouver is van.domain.local

When I run the command "new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1" when it gets to the Test-ActiveSyncConnectivity part of the script rather than use DOMAINusername it uses the DNS Suffix of the Exchange server (VAN.DOMAIN.LOCALusername) which of course does not exist.

As a result I get this error message:

Could not find or log on with user VAN.DOMAIN.LOCALusername. If this task is being run without credentials, log on as a Domain Administrator, and then run the new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1 to verify that the user exists on Mailbox server van-mx2.van.domain.local

Additional information: 1326

4. Steve says:

Rollup 4 still does not fix the problem with Transport servers and Entourage clients. When applying any rollup past 2 for sp1 and an entourage client sends a message with an attachment, the application pool running owa nad the legacy excahnge directory will crash and restart.

This is leaving our front end server unpatched. It was supposed to have been fixed but I am wondering why not.

5. Liam Michaelis says:

This article is helpful, but the first line should be changed. I just got it via RSS feed, and it made me think something happened and Update Rollup 4 was re-released 2 days ago, after I applied it last week!

6. H Kim says:

I don’t get that info from my windows 2008 server. I on;y get uninstall option.

7. RobertSeattle says:

I find it "amusing" that the Rollups don’t sort properly in Add/Remove programs.

8. Kalvin says:

Could someone answer Chad’s question, that is something I would like to know as well.

9. BrAtKo says:

Please help me out how to determine the installed version on Windows 2008 x64 ? Thank you.

10. Exchange says:

Chad and Kalvin – this will take writing a script (in scripting language of your choice) to check the registry on all servers needed. The value of "Version" is stored under the updates entry in Add/Remove Programs. In this case, it will be under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallKB952580

BrAtKo – if you type "WINVER" on Run line or in CMD window, you should see it.

11. BrAtKo says:

Hello, you said:

BrAtKo – if you type "WINVER" on Run line or in CMD window, you should see it.

How the windows version is depended on the Rollup 4 version ? I meant I need to find the version of Exch. Rollup 4 out. (v1 or v2), Exchange 2k7 SP1 is running on Win2008. Thank you again.

12. Exchange on Windows 2008 says:

Under Control Panel – Programs and features, you can reveal the version of the updates by adding more detail to the view.  Click on View-Choose Details.  Click Version and OK.  The in the same row as the Exchange 2007 Rollup Update 4, you will see that the version is either 1 or 2. Hope that helps.

13. ForumKa says:

hi all,

is there a to get this done via powershell query?

thanks

ForumKa

14. Scott Landry (MSFT) says:

Paul Flaherty has a really good script for this on his blog:

15. Chuong Nguyen says:

For Windows Server 2008 x64, here is how to view it.

Control Panel => Programs and Features => View installed updates.

Hope that helps.