Exchange blog suggestion box

Post suggestions for future topics here instead of posting off-topic comments. The suggestion box is emptied and read periodically, so don't be surprised if your suggestion vanishes. Posting a suggestion here is not a guarantee that we will write about it, but we will read it.

Please note: If you're looking for support for a problem you're having with Exchange right now, posting on the suggestion box is not the way to get an answer. Try looking here instead, or check out the many active Exchange newsgroups and mailing lists where you can get help from other Exchange administrators, developers, and MVPs.

1. AC says:

Not sure if everyone would be interested in this but I’d be interested to see the most common DR Scenarios. I’ve been meaning to take a look at our setup and record our common issues requiring DR and documenting them for a full writeup later to be able to refer to them as example cases in the future.

Just a thought.

2. Marcel says:

We’re using IMF and are quiet happy with it catching a lot of spam. It is especially useful as a lot of users in our organization use OWA only to read their mail. One thing that we are unclear about, is how is IMF going to be updated when the spamers (and I’m sure they will) find new ways of going around this filter? What are the future plans for IMF in regards to sender id?

3. zimbabao@yahoo.com says:

write a blog about how u solve all the smtp and other mail reklated problem ..

4. Vern says:

Well, like you, I use .Text for my blog. I would be interested however, in seeing an Exchange integrated solution. Something that allows photo postings, audio file postings, etc. Ultimately all this data would be stored in the Info Store.<p>I know, it’s probably a fantasy. And I hope Scott doesn’t think I don’t appreciate him. I just love Exchange and want something integrated…

Vern

5. sunny says:

I would like to know about Kodiak and the way a SQL engine will make our lives as Exchange Admins different!

Also interested in scaling-up Exchange servers, especially with regard to 4GB RAM limit, 8 CPU’s or more, and clusters.

6. Marcel says:

hosted exchange 2003.1 please!!

7. what not to do says:

what not to do, a hall of shame, real life examples of bad decisions. of course without naming anyone etc.

8. JT Davis says:

How would you go about reseting the ACL’s on exchange (2000/2003) objects in AD. If it does not exist today, the development team should consider an XML doc that stores the ACL’s immediately following domain prep. Then, any interface to view, restore, or compare with current settings.

jtdavisATnavigatellcDOTcom

9. SteveFedoriw says:

How about covering the VSAPI 2.5 in the new Exchange 2003 service pack and what it offers versus the 2.0 in the previous release?

10. SteveFedoriw says:

11. will says:

I would be interesting in topics about the GAL and how to customize the GAL (format, based one something other than display name) etc.

I love your site guys, this is really helpful.

12. Adam Fazio says:

First of all – obviously the exchange blogs kick ass. However, I do wish they were more of a collaborative community as opposed to just a posting place.

Perhaps add a forum where exchange blog readers can help each other out with issues, etc. Frankly, the MS Exchange newsgroups do a very poor job of that and I find other forums are not nearly low-level enough when it comes to Exchange.

Thanks again, great site.

13. nick says:

How about blogging about ways to allow users to share folders. It’s easy to share your main calendar, main contacts, etc. But if I created another Calendar in my Outlook Profile called Vacation Calendar, and wanted people to post stuff there and view the calendar. I know it can be done with Public Folders, but I’m loathe to use them because I’d rather the users manage these on their own (I’ve got enough work to do). Any thoughts?

14. Michel says:

How about some details about the Exchange Edge Server. What’s new/different compared to the existing versions?

15. DJ says:

This isn’t a suggestion, but more of a thanks for all the EXCELLLENT information that has come from this blog. It has become an invaluable resource for us and we archive all your posts for future reference.

16. David R. Hibbeln says:

How about some discussion on fax service integration with exchange…

Setup of multiple domains on single server for send recieve…

Setup of exchange to automate complicaiance with corp document rentetion policys of e-mail?

Production of E-mail in civil ligigation or criminal action – how to minimize downtime.

17. Chris King says:

A topic I haven’t found much on of worth, though not limited to Exchange is what it would take (is taking maybe?) to revamp SMTP to enable it to perhaps authenticate on some level so as to prevent mail form non-existent addresses and such (simply resolving the MAIL FROM: address before accepting…?) to hinder the spam propogation. Or perhaps a discussion of why that idea won’t fly either.

Thanks for an amazing place to continue learning.

18. MR says:

It’s really cool when you guys talk about how things actually work, that we can’t find documentation on anywhere. Or sometimes just exposing myths that circulate, or why things happen "by design" (who hasn’t cursed the Q articles on that one before?)

More specifically, how about SQL replacing ESE in Exchange Server 2007 (OK, it might be a little early for that discussion)

–mr

19. Xavier says:

First Thank you for this invaluable source of info on this blog !

Some suggestions :

1) SPAM : How IMF internally works ?

2) Script example display all mailboxes of a current server with their current size, Deleted items size, Size limit …

3) PFs and PFTools like PFDavAdmin. How to detect replication problem between PFs.

4) Exchange resource kit tools Example : How to use Winroute ?

5) Best practices for daily monitoring.

20. Palare says:

Big fan of ESP, so much that I want to develop modules for other protocols using the visual studio wizard. Would love to see some complete code samples though, eg one for a protocol-based module and one for an API-based one. The existing documentation is pretty sketchy.

21. alan says:

I’d love to see more writings on Exchange resource forests, the pros, the cons, and any tips you might know about while working with them.

22. Kirk Munro says:

Anything related to using MAPI to create a profile and connect to Exchange servers that have various configurations would be great (private store local, no public store; private store remote, local public store; private store local, remote public store; etc).

Thanks for listening.

23. I also want to thank all of you for this great blog site. Visiting the exchange team blog is part of my daily tasks…

Suggestions: "Why Exchange Server 2003 still needs NETBIOS"

or "Why it isn’t possible to change the Domain Controller focus in ESM after you saved the console…"

24. Sheryl Canter says:

This is a feature suggestion for Outlook. Are feature suggestions good blog topics? Hope so.

I wish the archive facility had more sophisticated filtering features. Even if you just made using the Modified date optional in selecting which messages to archive, it would help a great deal. There are many things that change the Modified date – compressing the mail file, importing from another database, etc. – that don’t make a good basis for archiving. There’s no way to tell Outlook to use only the sent and received dates.

One easy way to implement a full filtering feature would be to allow archiving based on the results of a Find.

25. Bobby says:

I’d like an article about how the different versions of Exchange (at least 5.5, 2000, 2003) handle HTML bodies with the different versions of Outlook (97 2000 XP 2003). I’ve seen lots of different combinations produce lots of different output, so I was wondering if there is a method to the madness of HTML bodies and PR_BODY, PR_BODY_HTML, and PR_RTFCOMPRESSED?

26. Bernt says:

What I’d really like to see is an explanation as to why Exchange uses so incredible long time to perform move mailbox/migration wizard/exmerge jobs. So far I’ve just come to terms with the fact that it just takes a lot of time, but several of my customers keep asking me why (naturally). I just can’t seem to find any reason as to why this is. I mean… neither ram, cpu nor disc IO or network bandwidth seems to be of issue.

So far all I know is that a large mailbox doesn’t affect time to move a mailbox nearly as much as the amount of items in a mailbox. Apart from that I’m at a loss.

Any hint of why this is would really help me sleep easier at night ;)

-Bernt

27. Mark Andrew says:

I’d like to know how Outlook connects to Exchange using MAPI when connecting to a remote exchange server that’s not in the same domain, nor is a trusted domain, plus the pitfalls and tricks to help make this work. DNS, the role of the GC etc., in this scenario. Plus, any way to avoid the username/password everytime in this scenario.

28. Steve says:

How about a blog on Exchange 2003 domain rename operations? I understand there is a new tool out but it doesn’t work with rendom, or rather, rendom on the web doesn’t work with Exchange in the AD. Documentation is very confusing…is domain rename supported with Exchange or not?

29. Vern says:

How about an article detailing setting up your own Free/Busy site in IIS? Since MS removed the option for their own service from Outlook, I have been interested in creating my own free/busy site, but I don’t have a lot of time and/or technical knowledge.

Vern

30. joe exchange admin says:

The page at http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/05/26/142607.aspx explains how to create an Outlook config file to expose the SCL field. Is this file format documented anywhere? Are there other cool and useful tricks we should know about Outlook and special forms/fields? I’d like to know how Paul Bowden did it.

31. joe exchange admin says:

Sorry, I posted the wrong URL for my name. This one works.

32. Al Blake says:

I would like to suggest that IMF (which is a great start) have its functionality extended to support a ‘delete’ action for UCE on an information store.

Why? We are a K12 school using Ex2k3 and have student mailboxes in a separate IS to staff. We dont want to delete UCE to staff due to concerns about false positives but must delete it from students (ie never deliver it).

At the moment this isnt possible but it seems like it would be a simple mod to the IMF as it is already implimented at the gateway level.

33. Shel says:

Any other easier ways to restrict outgoing SMTP delivery restrictions to UDGs, other than the ones stated in KB812298?

34. JB says:

Use of third-party security certifcates with OWA 2003.

For example, Thawte Free Personal Certificate with S/MIME.

35. TY says:

I would love to see a blog entry on whether or not the *FILE SYSTEM* of an drive containing information stores should be defrag’d using Windows defrag. If so, why? If not, why?

36. Proper way of temporarily disabling mailboxes says:

The above URL is a great article on how to temporarily disable a mailbox. I’d like to here comments on how accurate the information is ‘from the horses mouth.’

Thanks!

Teo

37. Proper way of temporarily disabling mailboxes says:

The above URL did not submit properly. Probably too long. Here it is:

38. Adam Fazio says:

I’d like to know more about mixed-mode routing & connectors. I’ve had to open a couple PSS cases when trying to cut over routing & connectors, I don’t think the inner workings of how mixed-mode routing works or is supposed to work is very well documented (transport & routing guide, 2003 deployment guide, 3rd party books, etc.)

Thanks – exchange blogs are great!

Comments are closed.