This week Microsoft released a major update of Forefront TMG 2010 and many TMG Admins are very excited with the new features that were announced in the Forefront TMG team blog, such as the support for Kerberos authentication in an array scenario, the improved error pages and the new site activity report. These are already three reasons to apply SP2 on your TMG, but instead of only adding two other features I’m going to give you five more reasons to apply this update. Here are those:
1. Forefront TMG 2010 SP2 makes TMG startup operation ten times faster.
- If you were in my presentation at TechED Brazil you already know that because I explained this during the presentation. But the fact of the matter is that Forefront TMG Development team did a great job enhancing the startup time on TMG. In a test done in lab the startup time decreased from 26 minutes to 3 minutes (ok, almost ten times).
2. Do you remember KB2498831? No need to run that script anymore, with TMG 2010 SP2 a new option was added in the screen to allow you to do that as shown below:
3. Performance improved for cloud migration.
- Read this post where I explain the scenario where TMG 2010 SP2 enhances that.
4. Improvement in the E-Mail Protection feature
- Some of the problems with this feature were fixed. More details on KB2555840 (once is live)
5. Account lockout enhancements for FBA.
- More details on KB2555840 (once is live).
That’s it…go grab TMG 2010 SP2 and remember: in order to apply TMG 2010 SP2 you need TMG 2010 SP1 + Update 1.