Another performance caveat when troubleshooting TMG or ISA slow browsing behavior

Slow browsing experience is a behavior that can happen for so many reasons that cover everything in one single article is just not feasible, mainly when the list still growing. Here are some posts/articles that I wrote on this matter:

The list is growing because recently, troubleshooting another issue of this nature today I learned another cool thing: disabled adapters matters. What I mean with this is that if you have multiple adapters on your ISA/TMG and if some of the adapters are not in use and are disabled, this can still affect the performance of the system. How? According to the binding order. Remember that I talked about binding order here some time ago? The DNS best practice analyzer pointed me to the right direction on this, here what he said about disabled adapters on the top of the binding order:



Valid network interfaces should precede invalid interfaces in the binding order. A disabled or invalid adapter precedes a valid adapter in the network interface binding order list.


The binding order determines when network interfaces will be used to make network connections by the computer. A disabled adapter high in the binding order can degrade performance.


Move all disabled and invalid interfaces to the bottom of the binding order list.

More info at:

Keep this caveat in mind during your ISA/TMG performance health check analyzes.

Comments (3)

  1. Hi,

    What it is the problem that you are facing? Please send me an email with more details, use the Email Blog Author option on the right side of this blog.

  2. Beginner3 says:

    hi yuridio, i'm not sure if my post is in the right place.

    i just wanted to ask help from you regarding on my problem on our ISA.

    I hope you can lend me your time.

    Many thanks in advance

  3. Christian says:

    Good afternoon!

    Regaring the Publishing I have some updates. Justs posted an summary of findings from today!

    Hopefully we get an fix from Microsoft soon, as this topic is coming up to an bad performance issue with no real workaround.…/tmg-2010-or-isa-or-ans-kind-of-reverse.html

    We have taken some networktraces an found out the following!

    It is an BUG in Dynamics CRM 2011. Everytime when the CRM Webserver

    receives an request including an "reverse proxy header" it answers with

    Cache-Control: public

    Vary: *

    to the response header. This “Vary: *” is causing the behavior that some CRM Page elements are not used out of the Internet Explorer Cache.

    We fixed this for one customer with creating a new ISA/TMG rule “Server publishing on Port 443” instead of using an Web publishing rule. But this can´t be the real solution due to security reasons!



Skip to main content