Deploy the Microsoft Teams for Surface Hub app using Intune

Originally written for the Microsoft Teams for Surface Hub (Preview) app, this article is now updated to support the GA version of the app. Images may still contain 'Preview'.

In this post, I'm going to cover the steps required to push the Microsoft Teams for Surface Hub app to Surface Hubs and configure its options using Intune.

To push the app to the Surface Hub you'll have to you'll have to configure Intune and the Microsoft Store for Business to push apps to the Surface Hub. Follow this post to configure both if you haven't done it yet.

Remember - you must acquire the offline license version of the Microsoft Teams app (No purchase required) to be able to push it using Intune:

After syncing the store with Intune, you'll see the app in the Apps list:

Next, configure the Microsoft Teams app CSP settings in Intune.

Create a new Device configuration profile in Intune. Set the Platform to Windows 10 and later, and the Profile type to Custom:

There are two dedicated CSPs we're using to configure the app on the Surface Hub. Both must be present for the app to work:

./Vendor/MSFT/SurfaceHub/Properties/SurfaceHubMeetingMode is the CSP that replaces the .ppkg files you'll be using if you're manually installing the app. it comes with the values of 0, 1 or 2 and would act as follows:

• 0 - Skype for Business is the preferred app on the Surface Hub's Start Screen, however you can still join Microsoft Teams meetings.
  • 1 - Microsoft Teams is the preferred app on the Surface Hub's Start Screen, however you can still join Skype for Business meetings.
  • 2 - Microsoft Teams is the exclusive app on the Surface Hub's Start screen and Skype for Business is disabled.

The Data type for this setting is Integer and you can choose any value from the above as illustrated in the following image:

./Vendor/MSFT/SurfaceHub/Properties/VtcAppPackageId is the CSP representing the app ID that's replacing Skype for Business; Microsoft Teams. The value for this CSP is always Microsoft.MicrosoftTeamsforSurfaceHub_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Teams

The Data type for this CSP is String. Copy and paste the value from the line above as illustrated in the following image:

To assign the policies (App deployment and Device configuration) to the Surface Hubs, create a security group with the Surface Hubs device accounts:

Go back to the Microsoft Teams for Surface (Preview) app in the Apps list and click 'Assignments'. Assign the app to the Security Group you created with the following settings:

• Assignment type must be Required.
  • On the Select groups to include list, choose the group you created earlier and set the license type to User licensing:

Click ok and save the configuration.

Next, for the Device configuration profile, assign it to the Security Group you created:

Intune will push the and settings immediately. You may need to restart the Surface Hub to complete the process.

1. Chris says:

Thanks for the steps! The one issue I’m running into is the Teams app is not showing up in Intune. I’ve added other apps like SH Helper and A Surface Hub Tour and they showed up in my list in just a few minutes, but the Teams one still has not.

1. Hi Chris,
      This should be resolved by now.

1. Hi Yoav,
        The steps are clear and concise. I have managed to get the Teams application on the home screen. When i click on the application it shows the whiteboard and a blank screen within the Teams window. I tried changing the settings from 1 and 0 but to no success.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind Regards

Aktar

1. Hi, you’ll need to assign the device account a Microsoft Teams License for it to sign in to Teams and show the controls.

2. Benjamin Roland Bjerre says:

Hello,

Is it possible to have both the Skype and Teams icon disabled in the start menu? I tried with xml import without any luck.
    Followed this forum: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/y0av/2018/02/13/47/

1. No, the Teams or the Skype for Business client will always be visible in the Start Menu.
      The top 3 apps on the Surface Hub (Skype/Teams, Whiteboard, Connect) are not changeable.

3. SCS Dave says:

Hi Yoav, we haven’t enrolled in the insider program, but we were able to install the Teams app from the Store on our Hubs. Now when trying to use the packages you’ve shared, we’ve successfully deployed a mode 0 config, but when trying to launch into a scheduled Teams meeting, the panel that we expect to see video, and all the call controls…loads blank. Any similar feedback and ideas for how to solve?

1. Hi Dave,
      Insiders is no longer required, and I’m glad you successfully deployed the packages.
      If the Teams controls come up as blank (or just a black stripe), please make sure the device account is assigned with a Teams license (see here). This license is required for the client to sign in to Teams and join meetings.

1. SCS Dave says:

Thanks for the response! I verified that we have the E3 license assigned to the Hub account. Our Teams migration state is Islands, if that matters.. Any other tips?

1. Thanks Dave.
          If you switch to Mode 1, are the controls displayed ok?

1. SCS Dave says:

Yes, we’ve tried mode 1 as well (current config actually)… The icon changes as expected on the home screen, but again the Teams client loads with a blank window. Something I tried…I disconnected it from the network, and started a local session without internet. The Teams app launches on the side of the screen, and quickly displays a great message about being being offline. ‘Opps someone unplugged…’. Then once I plug the ethernet cable back in, I’m back to the experience of loading with blank (no controls visible). So it seems that the Teams app is loading and probably signed in… Sorry for the lack of details…but I’m sort of flying blind too 🙂

2. SCS Dave says:

For what it’s worth, I see others commented about the behavior of the whiteboard app opening when taping the Teams icon on the home screen. Even after closing whiteboard, when I tap the Teams icon, whiteboard launches. Just sharing incase these issues are related. Also, unfortunately our deployment of Intune isn’t working to manage Surface Hubs. We need to wait for our Intune/SCCM team to decouple and deploy Intune standalone (I’ve been told). So we’re stuck with using the USB drive method. Could it be that we need to update the deployment packages shared over your OneDrive?

2. Same outcome here SCS Dave and Yoav. Blank Teams window on the right that never signs in. I’ve installed via both methods (manually and Intune). Can open Edge on the Surface Hub and sign-in to Teams with the device account. I’ve now logged a ticket with the Surface Hub Team, so I’ll let you know if I find a fix.