Installing WSUS on Windows Server 2012 with PowerShell

There is a really valuable blog post on the Hey Scripting Guy! blog that explains how to install and configure WSUS on Windows Server 2012 using PowerShell. Enjoy!

P.S. we’re looking at improving our own PowerShell coverage in WSUS in the future as part of our work towards compliance with Microsoft’s Common Engineering Criteria. If there are scenarios you find particularly painful or just missing, please let us know in the comments below. We’ll consider and respond to every piece of feedback!

1. Boe Prox says:

I'm glad that you guys are continuing to improve on the existing UpdateServices module! I guess I will be the first to leave my comments on things that I would like to see in the next release.

I guess I could use my own module: PoshWSUS (http://poshwsus.codeplex.com) as things that I would like to see added in future releases to your module.

If I had to narrow it down to a top 8, then I would go with the following items:

1. Create/Remove/Get Target Groups

2. Remove computers from Target Groups

3. Get/Set email notifications

4. Start/Stop synchronization

5. Get/Create/Set/Remove Install approval rules

6. Get synchronizationhistory

7. Get WSUS events

8. Get members of a Target Group

Thanks!

Boe

2. Daniel Horwood says:

Why does the Get-WSUSServer cmdlet not have a mechanism for handling credentials? I’d really like to run this connection under a named context rather than the current user context. Something like Get-WSUSServer -Credential $cred would make life much easier

3. Frank says:

Hi, you got any infos how to automate the use of the Default Website via script in Powershell ?
    in W2008 there was
    AppCmd.exe set config "Default Web Site/"

4. Draino says:

Hello WSUS Product Team,

Can you add support for deadlines with the Approve-WsusUpdate cmdlet?

My organisation is in need of a standardising automation of patching schedules across a large number of clients and having the option to include a deadline would make this task much easier to develop an automation platform.

I am aware that this can be achieved by loading the "Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration" assembly reflection and taking advantage of the inherited Approve method, however this means that we would probably have to develop an entire custom module in order
    to achieve this, which we do not have the resources for.

Thanks for the work done on WSUS so far and brining it to .NET!

5. Saiyan says:

Hey Kudos on all the effort that went into this motherlode list How about one more tips here.

6. Kehribar says:

Thank you for sharing post. http://www.kehribarizle.com/