Update: Solution for WSUS Export Bug is now available for WSUS 3.x SP2

I am pleased to announce that, as of today, a fix for this issue is available from Microsoft for WSUS 3.x, in addition to the Windows Server 2012 update that we published last week.

WSUS 3.x ships back to Windows Server 2003 R2, and ships in x86 and 64-bit versions. This requires additional testing above and beyond what we did for Windows Server 2012, which applies only to that OS and is for 64-bit only. Additionally, the packaging format for Windows Server 2012 is different from what we must use for downlevel OS versions.

An article describing how to get this update is available at:

Please see my last blog post for more engineering details about why this problem happened in the first place and what decisions we made to try to make this update as bulletproof as possible. This update rolls up and includes all updates to WSUS 3.2, including KB2734608. WSUS 3 SP2 must be installed before you install this update.

Also, I just wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate that all versions of WSUS prior to WSUS 3.0 SP2 are no longer being maintained or supported. WSUS 3.0 SP2 is a free download from the Microsoft Download Center, and any customers using older versions of WSUS should install both WSUS 3.0 SP2 and this hotfix as soon as possible.

Thanks,
The WSUS Team

@vsu_, thank you for posting that solution! I will speak with our test engineers and make sure that the relevant test cases are added for any upcoming updates to WSUS, so that this problem does not happen again.

@Typhoon87, I can't speak for the WU client, it's a different team altogether. Sorry!

Hi!

Solution offered by vsu_ helped me too. Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x32, Wsus 3.0 SP2.

Any reason why this fix does not appear in WSUS itself? Or has it just not been pushed to WSUS?

@Ruffin, @Pearadice.

Unfortunately, Windows Server 2003 SP2 is no longer supported under mainstream support. This update will only work on Windows Server 2003 R2 and later. If you have an extended support contract with Microsoft for Windows Server 2003, you should contact Support and they will work with us (the product group) to see if we can make an update privately available.

Please see support.microsoft.com/…/lifepolicy for the product lifecycle policy.

"Note: Windows Server 2003 R2 is also no longer supported under mainstream support, but the update happens to work with Windows Server 2003 R2, so you can apply this KB to Windows Server 2003 R2 anyway."

The update fails to install on Windows Server 2003 R2 – at least it did on my 64 bit server.  Same error as mentioned above in Ruffin's post.

Guess it's time for me to upgrade to 2K8 or 2K12.

Thanks for the reply.

I also encountered the same error on Microsoft.UpdateServices.Utils (HRESULT: 0x80070020) when installing the KB2828185 update on the server which previously had only KB2720211 installed. I have found the following solution to this problem:

1. Stop any third-party programs and services which can interfere with updates (e.g., antivirus).

2. Stop IIS and WSUS services:

iisreset /stop

net stop wsusservice

3. Disable IIS WWW and WSUS services (this is the critical step which is not documented anywhere):

sc config wsusservice start= disabled

sc config w3svc start= disabled

4. Now install the KB2828185 update — it should install without encountering the HRESULT: 0x80070020 error. Apparently this error occurs because the update installer restarts IIS and WSUS services before all file operations are completed, and then the Microsoft.UpdateServices.Utils file cannot be updated because it is in use by those services. Disabling these services prevents their startup during this critical time and avoids the problem.

5. Reenable IIS WWW and WSUS services:

sc config wsusservice start= auto

sc config w3svc start= auto

6. Start IIS and WSUS services:

iisreset

net start wsusservice

This solution seems to work even after a failed attempt to install the KB2828185 update which left WSUS in a broken state.

^Yes please! It's very annoying to see "new product added" and not know what was added!

Hello.

The solution posted by VSU_ worked for me! :-)

Regards.

I have a only semi related question. Will the WU client get upgraded with improved error messaging so troubleshooting a machine with a non functioning WU client will be easier.

Also, should this be installed on workstations that have the administrative console only installed?

Ben thank you for answering my first question.

I have another after applying this update does the build number of WSUS in the console change.

If you are not having luck on WS2003 R2, try installing .NET 4.0 before installing the hotfix.

Update: I am also using WSUS 3.0 SP2

@Jay Wodka

Resolution doesn't work.

I placed the update at the root of C:

Rebooted my server.

Opened CMD prompt as the admin and ran:

iisreset/stop

net stop wsusservice

Then I ran WSUS-KB2828185-x86.EXE

Still got the same error:

I am running Windows 2008 SP2, 32-bit.

One more question.

When WSUS adds a new product or catagory is there a way to have it be a diffrent color in the Products and Calssifications window for the first couple of weeks so that Admins can tell which are new?

KB 2828185 doesn't mention supporting Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (32-bit x86), only the 64 bit.  Will there be a separate update for the 32 bit?

By the way, did you stop WSUS service and/or the web service when running the installation?

19. Ruffin says:

Hello,

This morning I tried to run the update package from this website http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx  that you all posted on 4/16/2013 on my Windows Server 2003 SP2 64-bit WSUS 3.0 SP2 and I recieved this error message:

Do you have any idea, why I am recieving this error message? Thank you.

20. Ruffin says:

@ Ben

Thank you for your reply Ben. I'm sorry for my typo, we do have Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition. I notice that when I tried to run the update package our McAfee HIPS Alert message popped up and then afterwards the download failed. I'm going to run the upgrade package again but first turning HIPS off and hopefully that will fix my problem. I also downloaded the upgrade package on our Windows Server 2008 R2 test box without McAfee installed and it installed just fine. Thank you.

21. Jay Wodka says:

@Ben @Ruffin

I am receiving the same error: "An error occurred during the installation of assembly. Microsoft.UpdateServices.Utils,fileVersion="3.1.7600.262" ,version="3.1.6001.001" ,culture="neutral" ,publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35" ,processorArchitecture="MSIL". Please refer to Help and support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070020.

I am running Server 2008 x64, WSUS 3.0 SP2 and DotNet4

What can be causing this error?

22. adriano says:

hello,

SCCM2012 I am installing on Windows server 2012 standard and I have no problems with WSUS.

Below find events:

The application (Windows Server Update Services, from vendor Microsoft) was hard-blocked and raised the Following: Windows Server Update Services is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact Microsoft.

and logs is in SCCM: Supported WSUS Server version is not installed. Please install WSUS 3.0 SP1 Server or above.

I can not install WSUS30-KB972455-x64/WSUS-KB2720211-x64/WSUS-KB2734608-x64/Windows8-RT-KB2764462-x64

could you help me?

23. Scrib says:

I receiving the "I am receiving the same error: "An error occurred during the installation of assembly. Microsoft.UpdateServices.Utils,fileVersion="3.1.7600.262" ,version="3.1.6001.001" ,culture="neutral" as well on Windows 2003 SP2 with WSUS 3 SP2.

Any ideas?

24. Scrib says:

…..anyone? Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my WSUS server as the updated has totally killed it. Thanks guys :-(

25. Mike P says:

I am receiving the same error as well:

I'm also running Server 2008 Ent x64, WSUS 3.0 SP2 and DotNet4

What is a possible resolution to this error?

26. Mike P says:

(Minor correction to by first post)

I am receiving the same error as well:

"An error occurred during the installation of assembly. Microsoft.UpdateServices.Utils,fileVersion="3.1.7600.262" ,version="3.1.6001.001" ,culture="neutral" ,publicKeyToken="31BF" ,processorArchitecture="MSIL". Please refer to Help and support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070020.

I'm also running Server 2008 Ent x64, WSUS 3.0 SP2 and DotNet4

What is a possible resolution to this error?

27. Jay Wodka says:

@Mike P

I think I found a resolution. Try the following steps.

1. Copy the Update to root of C:

2. Reboot the WSUS Server

3. Run Command Prompt as Administrator

4. Navigate and Execute through Command Prompt

28. EdS says:

I am getting that same fileversion error on a freshing installed 2k8 server x64, wsus 3.0 sp2.  Solution ?

29. Eric V says:

We have 7 disconnected networks.

I am getting the exact same error

on my first two disconnected servers I installed the patch.

Windows 2008 SP2, 64-bit.

and

Windows 2008 SP2, 32-bit.

On both systems, now my MMC snap-in does not work.   What can be done?

Thank you.

30. EdS says:

31. Mike says:

I’ll also add that VSU_’s steps worked for me. Let me caution that you need to follow those direction PRECISELY. I tried to stop these services with the services mmc and it didn’t work, so do everything VSU said precisely using the command line. Thank you very much VSU_.

32. Stefano says:

Great VSU_ .Thank you for sharing!

33. Mike says:

Yes, the patch installed. Unfortunately it didn’t help :(.

34. MartyBr says:

thank you vsu_ that worked for me as well.

35. butitsfree says:

thanks…

free stuffs, discounts, free bonuses

36. Doug says:

Solution from VSU_ also worked for me with patch KB2938066 on 2003r2. Looks like Microsoft did not take this into account with the next WSUS patch either. Thanks to VSU_ for the help, it’s greatly appreciated!!

37. Mark Dowling says:

This also solved the install of 2938066 on 2003R2 for me. The server is on the cusp of being decommissioned but I need it to stagger on until Patch Tuesday is rolled out.

38. yudum says:

Thank you for sharing this fine article. Keep up the good works.
    dizi fragmanlari http://www.trbolumfragman.com