A fix for Client/Server Synchronization Issues

Hi all,

We have released a fix for the synchronization issues that Cecilia described in http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2008/06/18/client-server-synchronization-issues.aspx. For details on how to obtain the update, please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954960.

If you are installing the update on Server 2008, you need to install the update with elevated privileges or else install will fail. E.g., you can run it from a command prompt that was launched with “Run as administrator”.

We have now addressed this matter by replacing the original cab’ed MSP with a an exe-wrapped version of the original MSP to avoid this extra step.

The update does not support uninstall or have an entry in Add/Remove Programs. But one can verify the update has been installed by checking that the version of  Microsoft.UpdateServices.WebServices.Client.Dll (in %Program Files%\Update Services\WebServices\ClientWebService\bin\) is 3.1.6001.66 (it will be 65 if the update has not been applied).

While this update is only available on Download Center today, we are working on making it available through the WU/WSUS pipeline and hope to have that done as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Marc Shepard

WSUS Lead Program Manager

132 Microsoft Team blogs searched, 98 blogs have new articles in the past 31 days. 608 new articles found

Windows Server Update Services Update (KB954960)

Microsoft has issued a fix for a flaw that had blocked users from grabbing security patches through Windows

I also get error 1603. The patch has been out for 20 days now. Are you guys working on a fix?

I have the verbose log if that helps.

System Center Essentials is built on top of Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS) technologies. This

The WSUS Team finally posted word that an update/hotfix is now available (KB954960) for public download

7. Allen says:

Thanks for the information.

I will focus on this blog as we have just upgraded to WSUS 3.0 recently.

8. Mantvydas says:

Wow! I’ve just updated my 2003rd server with the kb954960, and I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you!

For I couldn’t understand for so much time why those several stubborn clients just don’t want to get updated!

Now all those clients lined up in a queue to get their updates.

9. Mantvydas says:

By the way, as this is about Client connectivity issue, you have to update the link that pops-up in Update Services Snap-In when a client is not responding for longer period of time.

It says, "This computer has not reported status in 25 or more days. Learn about troubleshooting computer connection issues". And when you click, you are taken to WSUS 2.0 troubleshooting steps, while you’re actually working on WSUS 3.0.

The link has to lead to http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/b23562a8-1a97-45c0-833e-084cd463d0371033.mspx?mfr=true

10. Semion says:

After i installed this patch there is no confirmation box with "finish" or "OK" button , frame just closes itself without any notice , i wish it will be more information after installation completed .

11. Tom says:

I tried to install the patch. I agree with Simeon, the lack of acknowledgement for a successful installation leaves one begging the question. The computers still dont show up and its still unuseable because the patch did not install.  The interface is pretty, though. At least it worked for some people. =)

12. Tom says:

The patch doesn’t install as local admin or domain admin. The computers dont show up in any of the groups. After running the installation file for the fix I get a status bar that vanishes without a trace and the server still isnt updated; meaning it is still 3.1.6001.65. To make matters worse I cant even update the server running WSUS. I get an error code (WindowsUpdate_8020002B) that upon clicking the "get help" hyperlink a help window appears informing me there are 0 results. If anyone can help me I will email screenshots or whatever it takes to help fix this problem. It is obvious I am not the only one. There are 2 on this blog reporting the same things and I am certain there are thousands of others who have not posted to it. If anyone responds I will write a tutorial with screenshots on how to fix it and post it on the web of give it to whoever wants it so they can do the same thing. Thank you.

13. Server Update Only says:

This update is to be applied on the WSUS server itslef ONLY and not the end user workstations, correct?  I think Tom is installing to his clients as well.  There was a lack of successful installation acknowledgement but checking the version of the WebServices.Client dll on the wsus server’s bin directory verified it was at .66.  THANKS 4 THE FIX!

14. cr1zz says:

Same here: No acknowledgement after Installation ( on the Server ) and its still at 65. Are there logs to see what went wrong?

15. Tom says:

Incorrect. I did not install the SERVER patch on the clients. I attempted to install on the server. Drama like that comment is kid stuff and counter-productive. Whats the fix? Have a good one!

16. Matthuas says:

Property(C): DATABASE = C:WINDOWSInstaller95e7a7e5.msi

Property(C): OriginalDatabase = C:WINDOWSInstaller95e7a7e5.msi

Property(C): UILevel = 3

Property(C): QFEUpgrade = 2

Property(C): ACTION = INSTALL

=== Logging stopped: 24.07.2008  11:36:32 ===

MSI (c) (D8:20) [11:36:32:950]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 – Update ‘{288B5E1C-79F5-4EEE-8C9E-998BE68F472F}’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file d:test.log.

MSI (c) (D8:20) [11:36:32:950]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 — Configuration failed.

17. Tom says:

Gave up on WSUS 3.0 and downgraded to 2.0. I figured 2.0 had probably been through enough testing that the bugs were worked out. A bad assumption. The same problems exist. Oh, and I also downgraded from Server 2008 to 2003 for the same reason above and because of a crazy memory leak caused by incompatibilities with some of our core software. A vendor mistake because they installed the wrong OS. Anyways, so I have followed every help article I could find, which gave me the conclusion that everything is setup properly because everything appears "exactly" how every forum I had visited said to configure it. (obvious something isnt right so please refrain from unhelpful snide comments) Congratulations to everyone else who is not going through the same grief I am going through. Serioulsy, thats great that it does work. I just wish mine worked. I just dont understand why vendors like Kaspersky, Trend Micro, and many other companies can develop a means of a central location for the deployment of updates but Microsoft is having all this trouble with their solution. Please dont waste your post informing me that those other companies use whatever technique. The point is, it works for them. What’s even more disheartening is spending time and money taking Microsoft courses and earning Microsoft Certifications then finding that what I was taught about WSUS doesnt work.

18. Karen says:

Tried to download this patch, but it seems to have disappeared from MS Download site.  Is that a glitch or was there an issue with the patch and I have to wait a bit longer for it to appear again?

19. Tom says:

Here is how I fixed it. I downgraded to Windows Server 2003, as previously mentioned. Then I uninstalled WSUS 3.0 and reinstalled it. Only this time, in the wizard I opted for the custom site with the
    http://servername:8530. When it asked about using the Default Website or creating the custom site, this was the option I chose; even though there is no other site on the server. This was contrary
    to the practice that was described in the Microsoft installation guide. Therefore, the GPO i created pointed the clients to the url stated above.  It is a good thing that I downgraded this server to 2k3 also because there is a problem with Server 2008 in a
    non-server 2008 domain environment, after this server has been promoted to DC status. We have servers that meet this criteria at our branch offices. So, when i tried to install WSUS downstream servers at the branch offices I get an IUSR error. The built in

20. Lee says:

What’s going on with this update ? Why it is not available anymore for downloading ?

21. j says:

This patch is failing for me also except i’m using the 32 bit version.  I get msiexec error code 1603.

Property(C): Privileged = 1

Property(C): USERNAME = ******

Property(C): COMPANYNAME = ******

Property(C): Installed = 2008/01/23 21:14:38

Property(C): DATABASE = c:WINDOWSInstaller8aca2.msi

Property(C): OriginalDatabase = c:WINDOWSInstaller8aca2.msi

Property(C): UILevel = 3

Property(C): QFEUpgrade = 2

Property(C): ACTION = INSTALL

=== Logging stopped: 8/13/2008  14:43:19 ===

MSI (c) (90:4C) [14:43:19:431]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 – Update ‘{288B5E1C-79F5-4EEE-8C9E-998BE68F472F}’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file c:log.txt.

MSI (c) (90:4C) [14:43:19:446]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 — Configuration failed.

22. ryan says:

I am also getting the 1603 message.

23. Doktor Notor says:

Install of this hotfix miserably fails, both via WSUS and manually…

24. Joran says:

Same problem here:

25. Paul says:

I’m running WSUS 3 SP1 on a 2003 Enterprise box…and guess what, I get the same problem:

26. Louis says:

Yeah,,, 1603.  This patch does not work.  Does the WSUS team know any work around?

27. The Hurt says:

This fixed this error for me.  I migrated my SQL instance from a local SQLEXpress to SQL 2005.  These registry changes needed to be applied.

Check the registry for the key

HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftUpdate ServicesServerSetup

1. change the value of "wYukonInstalled" to 0x0

2. verify that "SqlInstanceIsRemote" = 0x0.

28. Doktor Notor says:

No such registry keys here… W2003 R2 SP2 x64

29. Joran says:

Thanks The Hurt. It solved the problem for me.

30. fwauquier says:

Thanks The Hurt. It solved the problem for me too.

31. Jooh says:

Thanks Hurt! Changing wYukonInstalled to 0 solved #1603 for me as well. I didn’t change SqlInstanceIsRemote flag.

32. ilahi dinle says:

We have servers that meet this criteria at our branch offices. So, when i tried to install WSUS downstream servers at the branch offices I get an IUSR error. The built in IUSR groups were not found. This directed my to a Microsoft link that provided a script. The script didnt do anything and the article on that fix really needs some more details on the process of running the script and resolving the problem in general.

33. Bram says:

Yes thank you Hurt, that was the fix that did the trick on our wsus server.

34. BAttERY says:

http://www.batteryfast.co.uk/acer/btp-55e3-battery.php ACER Aspire 1500 1501 1502 BATTERY BTP-55E3 BTP-67EM laptop battery,

35. sohbet odaları says:

thnaks <a href="http://www.trstar.net&quot; title="chat sohbet, sohbet odalari">sohbet chat</a> sites mcxc

36. karot says:

37. kartvizit says:

Yes thank you Hurt, that was the fix that did the trick on our wsus server.

38. akrep says:

on our wsus server

39. kelebek says:

very good sites guzel begendım

40. Tom D says:

Hurt’s fix worked for us as well… I’ve been searching for this answer for awhile now.  Thanks!

41. Rap says:

uzun

http://www.kodes.com Hiphop, Rap, Ceza, sagopa, Kolera

http://www.gekkog.com Hiphop, Rap, Gekko G

http://www.maskanimasyon.com Animasyon

42. malofey says:

43. sevgiliye hediye says:

44. sohbet odası says:

This is just an heads up in case you missed the announcement, but Windows Search 4 is coming to Windows

45. medya bahcesi says:

Thank you, so I need it for work. http://www.medyabahcesi.com http://www.bedavasite.con.tc