WSUS 3.0 Released Monday, April 30th 2007

We are thrilled to announce that WSUS 3.0 has released today April 30th and
is avaialble now on the Microsoft Download Center.
Full information, documentation, samples and links to the bits can be found
here:

We will release WSUS  3.0 via WU/MU  (as an update to WSUS 2.0) on May 23rd.
As the next generation,  WSUS 3.0 brings new features and capabilites
dedicated to making deployment and update management simple yet powerful.
Just a few things new for WSUS 3.0 are:

Straightforward Installment
· In place upgrade over 2.0
· New configuration wizard to guide setup and configuration

Improved Administrative Experience
· New MMC based powerful UI (can also be installed as a remote console on
clients (e.g. XP) & host multiple WSUS servers in one console
· Custom views and results filtering
· Report Viewer only admin group
· Integrated “in-context” reporting
· Clean up wizard for management of stale clients/content & built in email
notifications
· Reporting rollup support
· Multiple, granular auto-approval rule options
· Enhanced Target group concepts including hierarchies for approval
inheritance or block, and overlapping target group membership support

Flexible Deployment Options to improve Branch Office support
· Support for language sub-setting on downstream replica servers
· Independent replica content source options (MU or Upstream Server)
· Optional Peer-cashing capability
· Synchronization up to every hour (vs. 1xday)

Performance Enhancements and Operational Reliability
· 50% improvement in reporting performance – report viewers only admin group
· Native support for x64 platform
· Network Load Balancing & SQL cluster support
· MOM management Pack for proactive alerts on server health

More Content Access and On-demand client synch:
· Easy access to drivers and hot fixes
· Personalization to make the MU Catalog customized to your downloading
needs
· Client ‘synch me now’ quick check-in/download support of pending approved
updates from WSUS or needed updates from Microsoft Update

WSUS 3.0 RC will be supported until May 31st 2007 – WSUS 3.0 supports
direct upgrade of WSUS 2.0 SP1 and WSUS 3.0 RC.

The WSUS 3.0 MOM pack should be available to the MOM catalog next week

Thanks!

Bobbie Harder
Program Manager, WSUS
Microsoft

This posting is provided “As Is” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

The biggest shock from day two was the number of people who didn’t realize WSUS 3.0 went gold over a

http://www.oyunim.com http://www.oyunulkesi.net

Thanks for the its much appreciated

site güzelmiş

My above issue was resolved today with the assitance of Fei from Microsoft.  It masked itself as a permissions issue.  As soon as I gave Authenitcated Users full control of the drive where the WSUS install wanted to do the db backup (by default this is the drive with most free space) the upgrade from 3.0 RC to 3.0 RTM went smooth as glass.

The final cause of my issue was described by Microsoft as this: "The wYukon (the db instance you used) sql service runs as network service. And the authenticated user group in your machine for which network service role belongs to somehow doesn’t have full permission to the backup folder.  "

Just to clarify, I was not using SQL Server 2005, but the Windows Internal Database, which as I understand it is also know as SQL Server Express 2005 (the replacement to MSDE)

I have tried to upgrade my WSUS 3.0 RC to RTM on (2) different servers now, and have gotten the following message:

"Windows Server Update Services 3.0 could not be installed. For more information, see the Setup log "C:DOCUME~1huffmtLOCALS~1Temp1WSUSSetup.log"."

The log file says,:

2007-04-30 22:20:50  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites…

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Success   MWUSSetup          Creating database backup…

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Error     MWUSSetup          ExecuteQuery: Failed to execute SQL query BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB to DISK=N’F:WSUSSUSDB.bak’ (Error 0x80040E14)

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Error     MWUSSetup          ExecuteQueryGetNoResults: Failed to execute query BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB to DISK=N’%s’ (Error 0x80040E14)

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Error     MWUSSetup          BackupDatabase: Failed to backup database (Error 0x80040E14)

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Error     MWUSSetup          CUpgradeDriver::PerformSetup: Failed to backup database (Error 0x80040E14)

2007-04-30 22:21:02  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80040E14)

Any ideas?  I did not mind uninstalling and performing a new install on the first downstream server, but I really do not want to this on the master / upstream server and woould rather upgrade.

I've been an advocate of Microsoft SUS/ WSUS since the v1.0 release. Sure, there are better enterprise

6. oyun says:

I hope that your success will go on.

| <a href="http://www.oyuncambazi.com">Oyun</a&gt; | <a href="http://www.oyuncambazi.com">Oyunlar</a&gt; |

7. scorp508 says:

This is great news! Is there any documentation of what was changed from RC to RTM for those of us running RC so we can take a look, or was RC feature complete? 🙂

8. Robert says:

Shouldn’t the install check for MMC3 installed on the Server?  I was still using MMC2 and I get the "strange" error about the .msc not being able to run or permission errors.    You are going to get lots of "WTF" calls regarding this.

9. Kevin says:

I’m getting the error as Michael. Any way to fix this?

10. Matt says:

The MMC-snap in of WSUS 3.0, when I review an update, hangs and I have to end the process and re-launch.  This happens every time I get the property of an update.  Yikes!

11. Robert says:

Not a real big deal, but the "uninstall" of WSUS 2.0 doesn’t remove the WSUS Administration Website from IIS.  "By design"?

12. Dan W says:

Does WSUS 3.0 contain WUA (Windows Update Agent) 3.0? I’ve read that I need version 3.0 of the agent/client to go with the svchost hotfix to completely solve the bug, as the hotfix alone doesn’t work (yeah good one MS, how much time of mine have you wasted with your faulty fixes and buggy update client).

13. Matthew F says:

I noticed that it’s possible to have replica servers get their content from either the upstream server or from Microsoft Update.

Does this mean I can configure my branch office WSUS 3.0 server to get its metadata and administration from the upstream server, but download the large amounts of data directly from Microsoft?

Basically, I don’t want to transfer anything but the metadata and reporting data over my WAN link, and I want the branch’s WSUS server itself (not the individual clients) to get the updates from Microsoft.

Is this possible?  If so, how?  The only related information I can find in the documentation says that I can have the WSUS clients at my branch download direct from Microsoft.  That doesn’t really help me bandwidth-wise, because I’d rather have the branch’s server just download once from the Internet and get managed by the upstream server at our headquarters.

14. Oliver says:

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

15. v_h says:

Can the MMC snap-in be installed on a Win2K machine?

16. SuperMouse says:

Will other language versions also be released on May 23rd?

17. Kevin Malone says:

I checked to see if I had KB927891 (the additional update needed besides WSUS 3.0 when it is released) to fix this svchost issue, and my WSUS server does not.  I went and checked the "updates" option to download just regular Microsoft "updates" that are not security related issues (since KB927891 says it is a reliability issue) and re-synchornized my WSUS server with MS and STILL did not get this update.  Anyone know why this update, which is dated 5/7/2007, is not available to be pushed out through WSUS yet?

18. sanoja says:

Very nice, very nice.

Seemless upgrade from 2.0

The new interface and reporting features are awesome!

19. WH says:

So far what I have used is Great but there is 2 things i would really like to see added

One. I would like to see the option for WOL, wake on lan, if the system is off

Two. Under the computers pages i would like to see an option to add a column for computer make and computer model. This would allow me to search by computer model

20. abiodun sobowale says:

hi micheal,

thanks for flagging this issue early, i had the same problem and i follow the solution that you used and i was able to solve it.

thanks.

21. GT says:

I find it very inefficient to use the new interface in WSUS 3.0.  There is no way to copy and paste information about patch names or WS as there was in 2.0.  I use to copy and paste a record of each approved patch into my workorder so I could track what updates were approved, set to detect, declined, etc – that is no longer possible in 3.0.

Another example is reporting, I have a failed WSUS install on 6 computers.  In ver 2.0 I would just expand the WSUS patch info, highlight the names of the computers with failed installs and copy to my workorder for processing.  Now I need to run a report, then export the report to Excel or pdf (why no clipboard or notepad file export option?) and then open that output to do a copy/paste into a Workorder.  Copy/Paste is a huge benefit in using Windows and WSUS 3.0 kills that feature.

22. Ranjan Revandkar says:

Pls make available some demo so that a new user like me can understand your product in better mannar. i am currently testing your tool for my organization.

My mail id is: ranjan9483@yahoo.com

23. Anita says:

My name is Ms. anita mbalu bthe daughter of the Deputy Minister of Public Works, Mr. Isaac Nuhan Vaye of Liberia in West Africa.

My Father was falsely accused of plotting to remove the then President of Liberia (Charles Taylor) from

office. Without trial, Charles Taylor killed him. You can verify this from your country. You can also check

in some of the international newspapers posted in the web sites below:

Before my father was killed, he moved out the sum of us$6.5m (Six Million and  Five Hundred Thousand

United States Dollars) through a diplomatic means, and deposited it with a Security Company overseas in

Europe ( Spain -Madrid ). All that is needed is for you is to act as my late Fathers oversea partner to claim the consignment from the

security company. The cash was carefully packaged in a trunk box and deposited as Artifacts with the Security

Company. The security company based on my instructions will release the fund to you on the fact that you will

be presented as our oversea partner who will be fronting for us in area of business you deem

profitable.pls for your information the securitycompany do not know the contents as it was booked as non disclosure consignment.

If you are willing to assist me this matter, I shall give you 20% of the total sum for your assistance, 75%

for me and my family to invest in your country and a further 5% will be mapped out for any expenses that we

may incurred in the process of this transaction. I need your full support and co-operation for the

success of this transaction.

I plead with you to treat this issue confidential and urgent because it is  delicate and it demands a great degree of secrecy.

If my proposal interests you, please forward your

reply including your telephone number and fax number

to my alternative e-mail address

(henryvaye008@yahoo.com) so that I can call you

for more details about the transaction.

YoursSincerely,

Ms anita mbalu

24. wmaragorn says:

http://www.catscorner.ca/images/map.html wind beneathe my wings lyrics

[url=http://www.catscorner.ca/images/map.html]sandisk imagemate 6 in 1 [/url]

25. wmronnie says:

http://www.mattrourke.com/code/map.html locate underground utilities in delaware

[url=http://www.mattrourke.com/code/map.html]proper body mechanics for careers [/url]

26. mccrawler says:

http://www.goodhomecookbook.com/map.html free translation english to japanese

[url=http://www.goodhomecookbook.com/map.html]party waiters farmington hills michigan [/url]

27. Don Collier says:

When can we get the WSUS 3.0 SDK though ?

28. gesseicex says:

Hi people!!! I want introduce my [url=http://www.xrum.977mb.com]new year foto. [/url]

29. Faith says:

A country that has no mines of its own, must undoubtedly draw its <a href= http://idisk.mac.com/dukebluedevilsfreewe/Public/0/animated-myspace-christmas-layouts.html >animated myspace christmas layouts</a>    maintenance is a circulating capital, in the same manner as that of the jevbuaumpp

30. Simon says:

Thanks Michael (michael.t.huff@invista.com ) You were right on the money!

31. sohbet says:

Dimi 🙂 güzel siteymiş vesselam 🙂

32. müzik dinle says:

Very interesting writeup thank you.

Güzel olmus güzel 🙂

33. radyo dinle says:

Very interesting writeup thank you.

bende sevdim 😛

34. türkü dinle says:

Very interesting writeup thank you.

35. key ödemeleri says:

Very interesting writeup thank you….

36. müzik dinle says:

Very interesting writeup thank you..

37. radyo dinle says:

Very interesting writeup thank you…..

38. sohbet says:

Very interesting writeup thank you…………

39. BAttERY says:

http://www.batteryfast.co.uk/acer/btp-43d1.php acer travelmate 22x 23x 26x 28x btp-43d1 laptop battery,

40. film izle says:

41. sohbet says:

unstable.  I would not want to be the helicopter pilot with you as my sys admin ;^).

very   ebe dede

42. key says:

43. toki says:

44. araç sorgulama says:

I hope that your success will go on.

45. ssk sorgulama says:

Very interesting writeup thank you…………

46. sohbet says:

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry. Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

47. chat says:

thanks by admin.. turkish internet explorer 8 very nice.. beatiful mozilla.

48. sohbet says:

Very interesting writeup thank you…………

49. cinsel sohbet says:

I hope that your success will go on

50. chat says:

I hope that your success will go on

51. ceza says:

52. sohbet says:

53. chat says:

54. sohbet says:

Thanks at all friends. At the last I must appreciate that your post is unique and I find it very useful for the people who like to take it that way.

Congratulation on your success and hard work. Thanks ADMIN.

55. sohbet says:

have a question. We had over 1000 installs of IE7 through the WSUS. No body approved the update, but found

56. Rap says:

asdasqweqwe qwwwww

http://www.kodes.com Hiphop, Rap, Ceza, sagopa, Kolera

http://www.gekkog.com Hiphop, Rap, Gekko G

http://www.maskanimasyon.com Animasyon

57. chat,cet,çet,cetkeyfim,mynet sohbet, says:

Thank's <a href= http://www.Cetkeyfim.com  target="_blank" title="Cet,Çet,Chat,Mynet Sohbet">Cet</

58. kizlarla sohbet sohbet odalari sohbet siteleri mynet sohbet says:

Thank's <a href= http://www.kizsohbet.com  target="_blank" title="kizlarla Sohbet,mynet sohbet,kizsohbet">kizlarla sohbet</