This book is the culmination of eighteen months of work outlining, gathering information, preparing drafts, creating figures, working through technical review comments, and reviewing page proofs.
Understanding IPv6, 3rd Edition is the definitive resource for Windows network architects, implementers and support staff on IPv6 and its implementation in the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 8, Windows Server 2012
- Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
This new version contains the following changes and additions from Understanding IPv6, 2nd Edition:
- Group Policy settings for transition technologies
- New chapter on DirectAccess
- New chapter on IP-HTTPS
- Discussion of rogue routers and RA Guard
- New chapter on NAT64/DNS64
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets and configuration examples across the board
- IPv6 address space allocation strategies
- Happy Eyeballs and IPv6 brokenness support
- Updated security and deployment considerations
- New chapter on the Microsoft IT deployment of IPv6
- Rewritten appendix on setting up an IPv6 test lab
- Latest IPv6 product team recommendations regarding disabling IPv6 and the use of ISATAP
If you are charged with teaching IPv6 to others, you can easily use this book as courseware for your own internal purposes or for a course at the college level. This book contains:
- Modules Each chapter has learning objectives and review questions. Many chapters refer to traffic capture files, which are available from the Companion Content.
- Slides There are a set of basic PowerPoint side decks for each chapter and for four of the appendices, which you can customize for your delivery. These are also available from the Companion Content.
- Hands-on Use the instructions in Appendix C-Setting up an IPv6 Test Lab and have your students configure and demonstrate IPv6 functionality, taking their test lab from an IPv4-only to an IPv6-only environment.