We are seeing reports of Word for Mac 2016 crashing in the following scenario:
The crash happens when you are using custom keyboard layouts after installing the latest Office for Mac 2016 update (15.17).
We have confirmed this issue and are working on a permanent solution. Method 1 will walk you through how to disable the keyboard layouts for a workaround to this issue. If disabling keyboard layouts isn’t an option, follow the steps in listed in Method 2.
Method 1: Disable customer keyboard layouts to do this follow the steps below:
- Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources
- Select a standard keyboard for the layout
Method 2: Enable only the “.keylayout” file from custom keyboard bundle
- Go to your "~/Library/Keyboard Layouts" folder
- Locate the custom keyboard layout file you want to continue using.
- It should end in ".bundle".
- Move it out of that folder to the desktop or another folder
- In its new location, CTRL-click on the file and choose "Show Package Contents"
- Find the file that ends in ".keylayout" in the folder that appears
- This is under "Contents/Resources"
- Make a copy of the file that ends in ".keylayout" and put it in your "Keyboard Layouts" folder from step 1
- Log out and log back in to your machine
- Add the custom keyboard layout in "Input Sources" tab of Keyboard System Preferences.
- It will be listed under "Other"
NOTE: Microsoft will be posting to this blog when we have an update to this known issue.