Enable Acer Aspire One to run Windows 8 display and applications

A registry needs to be added to enable the higher resolution (1024 x 768) for Windows 8 applications.

1. Run REGEDIT
  2. Backup the registry to a file for recovery if required
  3. Next, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
  4. Find the folder with 0000 and 0001
  5. In the 0000 folder, add a new DWORD “Display1_DownScalingSupported”
  6. Set the value to 1
  7. Quit REGEDIT and reboot the laptop
  8. After the laptop is boot up, change the display resolution to 1024 x 768

The reason is my netbook model is D250 which can only display at max 1024×600.

Hence the reason to add the registry key to have the additional higher display resolution.

In the Windows 8 preview, the key is available for search and replace, but I didn't find that in the RTM version of Windows 8.

I might be wrong, hopefully someone can validate on this.

2. bnb says:

Drivers for Windows 7 works fine. Just install it by device manager.

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx

3. Ed says:

This fix has been around for a long while and not just for Acer netbooks. Actually better on doing a search and replace for Display1_DownScalingSupported throughout the registry.

I agree with bnb: Seems the Decice manager pickers up the correct drivers. If not, when online, kill the current drivers in the device manager and let it pull the latest.

4. Kim Derrick says:

It worked for me. thanks. though simple programs won't run in simple display.

5. chantho says:

i do this following instruction but it still did working. why?

6. Giovani says:

In my aspire one D250 allowing only 1024×600 resolution was solved by changing the regedit as explained above.

Just add that if the record has already indicated, rename it or delete it and create a new one. Only then worked with me.

I have helped someone.

7. Antonio Carlos says:

Muito bom, funcionou perfeitamente.

8. babu says:

Brand: HP

Processor: Intel Core i3 i3-380M / 2.53 GHz / Dual-Core / L3 cache – 3 MB / 64-bit Computing

RAM: 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) / 8 GB Supported / DDR3 SDRAM/ SO DIMM 204-pin / 2Slots

Display: 15.6 in / LED backlight / 1366 x 768 ( HD )/ Widescreen/ HD BrightView

Storage: 500 GB HDD / 5400 rpm / Serial ATA-300/ DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / LightScribe Technology

SD/MMC Card: Card reader ( SD Memory Card ), ( MultiMediaCard )

Ethernet Type: 802.11n / 10/100 Ethernet

Dimensions: 14.7 in x 9.6 in x 1.4 in

Camera: Ye

9. joe cain says:

the Display1_DownScaling Supported is not in the Windows 8.1 registry. Can you add it? And where.
    This allows APPS to work on my Acer Aspire Notebook. HELP, somebody…. Thanks

10. lyrsej says:

i newly format my acer d271 and when i look in regedit theres no downscale file and even i create it cant change the resolution…still no available choice.. can someone help me with this….maybe it needs a driver i think am i right

11. Nanang says:

I’m not find folder 001

12. abel m. says:

i’ve done the procedure according ur post but it is still not working,,,my highest resolution is 800*600…what should i do????

13. Mimie says:

I just did this to my Acer One with the Windows 7 starter and it worked just fine. It increased my resolution options so that I could go up to 1152×864. Thanks for the help!!

14. band says:

i have a aspire one happy running on windows8,i tried it but doesn’t work

15. acer aspire one zg5 says:

Step 9. (optional) download Hotkey resolution changer to change from 1024×600 to 1024x 768 quickly, but you’ll lose the apps you are currently using

16. jixes says:

After all attempts i have succesfully able to change the resolution make sure its decimal change to 1 not hexidecimal running acer apire one zg5 then make sure to reboot

17. gwengwen says:

before you can do it you need to install graphics media accelerator.

18. john rose says:

After changing decimal from hexadecimal to 1 value pressing ok does not change at all. It turns back to decimal.

19. Sergio monfort says:

Excellent.. just did it on my Acer kav60. Works find.

20. yie says:

salamat ok na more power 🙂

21. jung says:

pre anong acer gamit mo? pwede mo ba ako tulungan, paadd sa fb ko. TIA. anjo viernes pacis po, salamat.

22. zero says:

I have 2 0000 folders
    Do I add Display1_DownScalingSupported in both?