Exporting and importing of the List Workflow to and from another list or site is actually a non-supported feature.
However, there is a “workaround” to achieve this.
- In SharePoint Designer 2010, click on your completed List Workflow.
- Click on “Save” and “Publish” for the completed List Workflow.
- Next, click on “Export to Visio”. Save the file as CompletedWorkflow.vwi or any preferred name.
- Then create a new “similar” list on the current site or on a new site collection. There is no way to import the exported visio into this new list.
- In SharePoint Designer 2010, click on this new list and then click on “List Workflow” to create a new workflow for this new list.
- Please make sure that you do not add any workflow steps!
- Click on “Save” and “Publish” for this empty List Workflow.
- Then, click on “Export to Visio” and save this as EmptyWorkflow.vwi or any preferred name.
- Rename both the vwi files by adding “.zip” extension. The files should be CompletedWorkflow.vwi.zip and EmptyWorkflow.vwi.zip.
- The objective is to replace the “workflow.xoml.wfconfig.xml” file from the EmptyWorkflow.vwi.zip into the CompletedWorkflow.vwi.zip.
- It is likely that you cannot replace it directly. Copy the file out to the desktop and then copy the file into the other zipped folder.
- Remove the “.zip” extension from the CompletedWorkflow.vwi.
- With this, we have a working importable visio List Workflow.
- Back in the SharePoint Designer 2010, close all the workflow tabs.
- Click on the “Import from Visio” and select the CompletedWorkflow.vwi.
- You have successfully export and import the List Workflow!