Windows Vista RC2 is now available to technical beta testers!

Today, Microsoft is excited to announce the availability of Windows Vista RC2 to Technical Beta Testers, TAP Testers, and MSDN/TechNet subscribers. This new build of Windows Vista offers users a higher level of performance and stability – improving what was established in Windows Vista RC1. We were able to also fix many of your bugs reported from RC1 and implement them for RC2. Thank you to our beta testers for the bugs and feedback you submitted for RC1. The improvement shows as we raised our quality bar even higher!

Platforms and Services Co-President Jim Allchin has just posted a special announcement letter of RC2 to Microsoft Connect for the Windows Vista Technical Beta Testers. I’d like to reproduce the letter here for all to read:

People asked for it, and here it is, Windows Vista RC2! We wanted you to be the first to get these bits; next week they’ll be available to a broader set of customers via MSDN and TechNet.

All your great feedback has helped us focus on nothing but bug fixes over the past month since RC 1 — each and every day. There are thousands of quality improvements since Windows Vista RC1. You’ll probably notice improvements in performance, application compatibility, as well as fit and finish work. We will continue improving quality until RTM. If you are an ISV, please use this build (certainly at least RC1 or later) to get certified. Visit www.innovateonvista.com for more information on logo certification.

You are integral to this creation and refinement process. We are just around the corner from RTM and shipping this great product to the world. This will be the last build made available prior to RTM, so please keep the feedback coming so we can hit the finish line. Thanks for your help in finishing the job!

jim

I encourage you to download and install Windows Vista RC2. We’re almost finished with Windows Vista – RTM is almost here. Submit as many bugs as you can as we continue to work hard toward shipping.

UPDATE: Windows Vista RC2 is now available to Customer Preview Program participants for a limited time. If you’re in the CPP use these links to access RC2:

Download: Windows Vista RC2 (x86 and x64) English
Download: Windows Vista RC2 (x86 and x64) German
Download: Windows Vista RC2 (x86 and x64) Japanese

Thanks to Claus, who must spend all his free time looking for freshly released software, we now know that build 5744 of Windows Vista — a.k.a Release Candidate 2 — is now available for public download. This is expected to…

That’s right, it’s here! For those of you who have tested Beta 2, CTP, RC1 or any of the other builds

Microsoft has released the RC2 for Windows Vista (available to Technical Beta Testers and MSDN Subscribers)….

Windows Vista Team Blog : Windows Vista …

Chris mentioned (have to give credit) that Vista RC2 was released today. The Vista team blog has posted…

Windows Vista RC2 (build 5744) was available internally late last week, and I’m writing to you from it

And my Firewire camera doesn’t work. When will FireWire devices work?     : )

Well i got this problem:

Program signature:

OS Version: 6.0.5744.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 1703

Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9

Additional Information 3: 1344

Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

The Com Surrogate Error whenever i install Nero 6.6 on 5744 Build. I even did refresh install again of vista i still get that Error. It didnt used to be like this in 5600 Build with Nero 6.6 causing DllHost.exe to crash. Oh well i hope Microsoft fix it soon.

RC2 installed great, machine up and running within an hour including Office Beta and Tech Refresh.

Running Dell 5150, 1.5GB Ram, Pent4 3.0, built-in Intel 82645G Video.

Everything working great.  Had earlier issue with login script on domain with Win2003 Servers.  RC2 works fine.

Vista rates me at 3.0, but even Aero is working fine.  I can use this on Corp Network, no problems.

Would like to have ani-virus running.  Can’t seem to find one that works so far.

So has MS ditched FireWire?

Does any one know, when microsoft is going to release the retail version. There is also, a rumor going on of RC 3, before the final version.

Well, seems to be better to read the whole blogg. Forget about the last question, but will there be another download of RC2 or RTM for public?

Try creating a folder on your desktop and name it Con and you will get an error. This is a bug in 5744 it seems.

Microsoft is holding pre-launch events across the UK from 25 Oct 2006 to 16 Jan 2007 to brief the partners…

magdoug: Avast works great on RC2. And they have a free version for home users

They should extend the download period for atleast another two days.

Look on the bright side – Microsoft has released windows live one care beta 1.5, which seems to work on RC2 (though is meant for RC1 and XP SP2) – we have 180 days to use w/o activation – plenty of time to test and report out.

An interesting side effect is that my CD/DVD burner software (Roxio) no longer burns CD’s but only DVDs – could be a RC2 change? (vs RC1)

Is the Link still working? I wanted to download the RC2 on Monday afternoon (european timezone), but the Link directs me to the Vista RC1 downloadlink.

Is there something wrong, or have you closed the download after 3 and a half days?

Since there are still complain and issues around in RC2, will Microsoft going to release another build before RTM?

Dear nwhite,

Since there are still complain and issues around in RC2 and the download time was rather short, will Microsoft going to release another build before RTM? Will RTM going to be release for beta tester and customer preview program (CPP)?

Dear nwhite,

will our keys from RC1 work?

I upgraded from 5728 to RC2 build 5744 on the machine listed below and the upgrade tooks 97 minutes. This machine only have Vista and Office 2007TR installed. I don’t know what the deal is there–this is the highest performance system that I have and it took the longest time to upgrade. In fact, it took twice as long as my T41 laptop.

Here is the system configuration from PI Tools.
    ——————————————————————————–

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    Model OptiPlex GX270
    Total amount of system memory 1.00 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 1
    64-bit capable No

Storage
    ——————————————————————————–

Total size of hard disk(s) 223 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 45 GB Free (112 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 98 GB Free (112 GB Total)
    Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics
    ——————————————————————————–

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation – WDDM)
    Total available graphics memory 383 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 255 MB
    Display adapter driver version 7.14.10.9677
    Primary monitor resolution 1280×1024
    DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Also, I get a windows update error on this machine that I don’t get on 2 other machines running RC2. The error is:
    WindowsUpdate_80245003 WindowsUpdate_dt000

Fast install.  Vista is great on a Tablet PC.

I stall have a few unresolved problems:

1. WebMail OWA- replying or forwarding does not work.

2. Right click menu in IE7 does nothing.

3. Start menu links to programs do nothing.

Otherwise it appears to be working great.

To Jatt10:

Well, it would be difficult to have a nonstandard driver since I did not select any drivers to be installed during the setup, but perhaps Vista decided to use some X64 drivers from my XP installation due to me launching setup from there.

I have since burned a DVD and attempted an installation from there, only to be told that Vista could not modify Boot Settings and therefore would abort setup. If I aborted the reboot and did a bootup of Windows Vista using the old boot setup (remember I had Beta 2 on that partition) I managed to run the "starting windows for the first time" only to be told that my computer is not compatible with Vista and that setup would abort..

Sigh…

Is there ANY way to remove the VISTA Boot manager and revert to the old one? boot.ini, ntoskrnl etc…  so I can remove EVERY trace of Vista and .. try yet again to install it.

I don’t want to use a torrent to download this as they often lead to trouble with viruses and such.  Does anyone know of a clean download mirror?

Wish I was a technical beta tester or technet subscriber….cant wait 🙂

keep up the good work!

Yet another build that does’nt work …. 🙁

Installation goes ok, launched for XP64, when it launches "Vista Setup" on boot it goes into a bluescreen after a while..

a r g h..

My Plextor 716AL burner still not work. I can’t made a “Complete PC” backup. Vista won’t format my DVD+R Disk. I can only burn with the “mastered” file system. The “live file system” does not format at all.

The onBoard HD-Audio codec ALC260 from Realtek does not work with shipped the driver. The beta driver from Realtek are working fine.

Fullscreen mode for cmd.exe and command (ntvdm)-Apps is still absent. Only works with standard vga driver. Aero can’t fully disabled for that.

-Zahni

Well, after few rounds of RC2 installation, I manage to get it install and start-up. I discover that Vista installation was rather sensitive with what tools we use to create and format the HDD partition. Happened to used Acronis 2003 to delete, create and format my HDD, Vista installation stop at the last stage "Completing Installation", after reboot, nothing appear, only DOS black screen with a cursor at upper left.

Not sure this is normal behaviour in Vista RC2 and the older build, I also discover that i can’t rename some standard shortcuts on Vista desktop like "How to share feedback", I also can’t rename many application name in menu list. Let’s take "Windows Calendar" as a example, when i right mouse click, on Windows Calendar in the menu, a shortcut menu pop-up and I select "Rename", it allow me to rename, after pressing enter, it change back to "Windows Calendar". If i restart Vista, I notice the name has been change, meaning that if i rename any application shortcuts on desktop and menu list, I need to reboot in order to see the changes, this has never happened in XP.

If i rename application folder name in the menu list like "Ease of Access" to something else, it show me to 2 folder name, the old and the new one.

Still encounter issue on deleting anything in my Imation 1GB thumbdrive, when i right mouse click on any documents in my thumbdrive, the "Delete" option does not appear in the shortcut menu. I can delete whatever i want thru "Command/DOS Prompt".

Also i forgot to say. Its not only me. Another few people having issues with Com Surrogate not responding ok. I dont mind since its in Beta Stages of Vista. Its Minor issues. Keep up the Good work Microsoft. Its Stable OS so far. Xp with Sp2 is stable to. Vista has more features with more stablity. And i like the Aero interface. Bye

The link you posted doesn’t work for me (page not found).

But:

works fine.

I am downloading the 32-bit version now.  Hope "very soon" for the 64-bit version for another computer.

Why is 64-bit always the step-child?  <g>

Dear nwhite,

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6124945.html cnet video of review of Rc2 ok.

Definitely a too short of a download window, only get notification of the rc2 relases last nite, now it’s to late to download. Is Microsof gonna send the rc2 to the people who signed up for the original beta testers that missed out on downloading rc2? I feel like i have been cheated out of the update process.

well whatever the problem was with RC1 that was giving me such slow install times (almost an hour from a fresh install) has been resolved in RC2. from the moment I hit the power button to the moment I hit the windows welcome center took just under 30 minutes. not bad at all.

To jatt10;

Nero 6.6 wasn’t all that stable in Windows XP SP2 so I wouldn’t get my hopes up at all with it being fixed in Vista. I don’t think Vista is the problem.

I would start researching other apps or wait for the next version of Nero to come out and buy that. You’ll save yourself a *lot* of frustration.

I’ve downloaded trial versions of quite a few DVD rom burning apps and only the Gear Software Movie software seems to work without crashing or writing unusable disks.

(No, I don’t work for Gear Software)

RC2 English x64, German x86/x64 and Japanese x86/x64 are now available for CPP, too! (Even if the main post isn’t updated yet and the posted link doesn’t work..) 😛

Tried to install RC2 on my pc using upgrade from Windows XP SP2. I’m using Abit NF7-S motherboard.

Silicon image SATA-controller (Sil 3112) drivers were needed, couldn’t find anything that worked, so I wasn’t able to install 🙁

ABIT is not providing Vista compliant bios update and Silicon Image BIOS flash update  & driverswork only for add-in cards, not controllers on motherboard. Sticky situation!

Message to  Gary96LT4: I have told you the 2.49Gb file is corrupted that you got iso.dlm means incomplete file ok. So you would get errors during install ok.

And to derric: The Rc2 is lot better then previous builds ok. I dont have issues with Rc2 ok. Another then Nero 6.6 comflicts ok.

Hey oldguy28:  not sure if this is the case in your situation, but I do know that we’re still in the process of filling in some of the Help files as we continue to release builds, so that might be the reason you’re being prompted for a file that isn’t found.  This will of course be fixed for RTM.

Does anyone know how to get "winhlp32.exe"?

I have some old programs that work great with Vista RC2.

BUT The help fills will not work with Vista. I get a prompt to download winhlp32.exe. I have searched all over and can not find winhlp32.exe. Will this fill become availbible wiht the final verison. I did an upgrade fron 5728 it took about 90 minutes not hours like warned. All programs that i had installed still function normally.

Thanks

oldguy28

Hey newscientist2000:  All I can say is, watch this space !

Install OK (less than 30 mins) in my Toshiba U200.

So far, so good. The best build yet (as expected).

One question: the network tab in the Recycle Bin disappeared – it was there in previous builds. Is this by design? A bug? Will it return in RTM? Does not work in a simple (home) network?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonio

Also i forgot to say. The Nero 6.6 didnt cause ‘COM surrogate has stopped working’ in 5600 or 5728 Builds. This is a New Issue in Rc2 5744 Build. Another then that its good working OS. If it didnt conflict as before with Nero 6.6 it would be better. So New minor issues has come in Rc2 with Nero 6.6 conflicting. I hope Microsoft Fix it the ‘COM surrogate has stopped working’ Error ok or Nero fix it in 7th version of Nero 7 Ultra Edition.

Still downloading the ISO’s

I noticed the download speed is extremely fast.

Hey derric:  I’m afraid that we’re not scheduling another interim release; but, if this were to change, you’ll find out first on this blog 🙂

Bad News: Cnet thinks there should be another interim  Build as few things are missing like Compablity Wizard. Read the Full review at cnet link is http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/11260/  and its not ready for Prime time they think ok.

Link to the CPP download fixed! I apologize!

So far, I have no problem installing and using Vista since Beta 2 up to RC1 Build 5728 into my 3 years old acer notebook. Of course there were bugs and glitches in the earlier build, RC1 5600 and 5728 are much better, hope RC2 build 5744 will be far better.

I’ve been hearing from many forums that RC2 Build 5744 will be the last build before RTM, just wonder is this true or real 🙂

I plan to buy a new notebook which comes with Windows Vista, wonder when is the right time to get it as I notice a lot of notebook in the market claim that they support Vista and have a sticker on the notebook indicating "Vista Ready", sorry to say and frankly speaking, I don’t agree at all as most of the latest notebook in todays market are still not fully compatible as some important feature like "Bitlocker" in Vista still not working in most of the latest notebook in today’s market as the "TPM" chipsets is still not there yet.

It appears they closed the CPP downloads for RC2. Wow, they must have had a huge amount of downloads over the weekend.

I received an error in 5744 version called COM Surrogate has stopped working . New bugs are found in 5744 still. This error was not in 5600. The RC2 suppose to be better. But i still think bugs are found in RC2. oh Well its still a beta version.

Problem signature:

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 1703

Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9

Additional Information 3: 1344

Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Read our privacy statement:

2 and 3 problem person (AlexDaryan) Did you do an fresh install from scratch means did you format before installing 5744. And the 2 and 3 problems you listed it could be conflicting with the software you installed. I have 14 softwares installed still IE7 is working awesome and start menu to program links is working great ok.

The 2 and 3 problems you  listed are working in my vista 5744 fine. Ie7 right menu works and start menu program links work fine.

Getting error: can’t find D;|sourceinstall.wim .  Error 0x8007000D

I just want to know when the "Windows Vista Technology Upgrade Program " will come into effect.

I just purchased a laptop this morning and perhaps I should take it back, the rumours are that Oct26th is the day!

Oh, I just give up. Whilst trying to not talk about Google, yet again this week, I found me a nice little story about Windows Vista RC2 is now available to technical beta testers and how it could be released…

Ya esta listo el RC2 de Windows Vista!!!!! En este momento esta disponible para todos los miembros de

Is there any way I can download it?  I don’t know if anyone I work with has a copy. =(

jatt10, Vista functions quite well on Tablet PC’s, just as well as it works on desktop PC’s.

Avast antivirus is available for Vista RC2 ok.

Also Windows DVD Maker is conflicting with Nero 6.6. The Windows DVD Maker application crashes only when Nero 6.6 is installed. It Dont bring blue screen which is good it just says close program it stopped responding. Its a problem since 5600 build even in 5744 its still the same. I checked when i Uninstall Nero 6.6 the Windows DVD Maker application dont crash at all. It works wonderfully. So Nero 6.6 probably dont like Windows dvd maker. Its not a major problem its minor.  Maybe Nero will stop conflicting in Nero 7 when its releases the Patch with Windows DVD Maker.

5 Star to the development Team! So far, this is the BEST and the FASTEST build I’ve ever tested. Updated my Build 5728 without any problems. Considering my machine setup, ThinkPad T43 (1.86 M Pentium, 1GB RAM, ATI X300) and my 2.1 (coz of my graphics adaptor) Performace Index, I didn’t expect it to be this fast. Might try a clean install later to see the difference.

Again congrats! I think Windows Vista is ready.

What are the uptimes of vista without rebooting the pc. Is it stable enough in Rc2 in Months without BSOD or crashes.  Windows 95, 98,  Me had a issue in Stability it only ran 4 days. Then crash automatic and needed reboot. Windows 2000 was Improved. Will Vista will be super stable in uptimes. Thanks

Dear nwhite & jatt10,

Outlook Web Access causes IE to close and restart without any warning when sending an e-mail.

The screen just fades to white, IE disappears, and restarts.

There isn’t any application failure dialog box or problem reporting done. This could be an incompatibility between the version of S/MIME and Vista.

This has happened on build 5744 and 5728.

Anybody know where I can find a Vista compatible Contivity client? OR if one is being made…

I started downloading the RC2 and after downloading 1.5 GB of it I have been shut out! Now the download manager shortcut just redirects me to the windows vista website. Can’t you only prevent new downloads and let ones who are resuming their current download continue it?!

Too short of a download window. I got part (about 80% actually, but can’t get the rest). You guys should leave the stuff up for at least a week and reduce the number of keys if you don’t want so many people downloading.

Is there a list of EPG supported countries? I’m in Argentina, a PAL/N country and also a DirecTV user. DirecTV in Argentina uses NTSC (you must have a multi-norm TV to use DirecTV here). I have an adaptec dual TV tuner (NTSC), but can’t select Argentina as my country as vista reports the tuner doesn’t support my country. Has this issue ever been reported to you guys?

Derric,

Microsoft will NOT be releasing another build to technical beta testers or CPP folks before RTM. RTM is not going to be handed out to beta testers or CPP folks as RTM is the final version and the final version is what you will buy in stores.

Jatt10 – your burning software issues seem great feedback to post on the Windows Vista Public Newsgroups:

Unfortunately I doubt Nick can help with your technical support issues with application compatibility with Vista.

I use ImgBurn BTW – works great.

Nero 6.6 worked great in Windows XP SP2 and i have Nero 7 to. The Nero 7 didnt work in Vista so i put Nero 6.6 in 5600 and 5728. It worked Good except Nero Express didnt work in Vista with no Com Surrogate errors at all. The Nero 6.6 still works good in 5744 Build but with Com Surrogate Errors whenever I open one folder a new issue with DllHost.exe in 5744. Another then that no com surrogate errors in rest of folders ok in 5744. I just have Nero 6.6 installed and i now ignore the Com Error whenever i access that one Folder now. Bye take care

The Compatibility Wizard is found in Rc2 i tested it. I dont know why cnet is saying that microsoft dropped the Compatibility Wizard in Rc2 ok. Maybe they dont know what the hec they are talking about ok.

RC2 up and running generally smoothly.

A couple of minor issues that didn’t appear in RC1.

And like a previous post I sometimes get a ‘COM surrogate has stopped working’ .

Finally I have a NET 2.0 based application (Anquet maps), that worked with RC1 but not RC2.

Otherwise, it’s a pretty impressive OS.

It looks like now the full 2.49Gb has downloaded, but it says its a .iso.dlm file, which is not a valid type to burn to a disk.

Apparently Windows Vista will have a new software activation scheme, good idea in principle.  However with the ammount of false positives I got with XP product activation it could be a real pain.

Hopefully though it will be better than on XP.

With Xp I once got a reactivation message when I simply switched by hard disks around on an IDE cable.  My hardware config was still essentially the same but for some reason it went off!

The other time I got a false positive was when I downloaded a demo of Alcohol 120 from Cnet… i think it added a scsi driver or something and messed up my activation… that was a software upgrade and I had to reactivate.

Not a big deal, reactivation was simple, it was just annoying to deal with.

If these bugs are addressed in the new scheme then everyone will be happy.  It scares me though to think that under the new product activation scheme badly written software from a third party could totally lock down a system as opposed to just giving me an annoying pop up message like XP.

I&#39;ve been seeing a couple of Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Build 5743 rumors

Comme annoncé sur le blog de la team Windows Vista, la RC2 (5744-16384) est disponible sur Connect pour…

I helped people with submitting comments at
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_RC2/4852-3672_7-32105681.html?tag=srtdate&ord=creationDate+desc. That vista is great os and you at least 1Gb of ram or more. 512Mb wont do it enough ok.

Thanks for your kind respond Jatt10.

I’m *also* having the same issue with OWA not replying, forwarding or sending email. IE just shuts down and restarts–which is better than how it started–at first IE would close without warning and restart after clicking Send.

Great work guys! Works like a charm (small driver issues with an old soundcard though, but that doesn’t count).

Is it possible to fix one thing for me? The SideBar is quite stylish, but why does the Add Gadget toolbar always have to be visible? Can’t you nicely hide it (same thing you do with the SideBar border) when it loses focus.

Oh and I had to pull out my LaCie 1GB drive’s FireWire connection in order for the Windows Setup to properly continue it’s Hardware scanning/benchmarking (when connected it would just stall).

Looking forward to RTM 🙂

Will gladly test, and give input.

Hi tric:  Thanks for the kudos, I’m passing them along for sure.  Great to hear you had a good experience!

Thanks for the URL link correction! Am downloading now at great speeds. Very excited! I have been waiting since the posting earlier today! Greetings all from the end of the Earth (Middle Earth)..New Zealand for non LOTR Fans!

2. and 3. have not worked for me since RC1.  When it is first installed they work, but soon after, as I begin installing software, they stop.  I don’t know if it has to do with the fact that I use a TabletPC (HP TC1100).

Also, the sound drivers are stilled messed up.  When I connect an earphone in the jack, I continue to get sound coming from the internal speakers.

Message to Les McLean: The IE7, when shut down, an error message appears ‘Internet Explorer has stopped working’, doesn’t happen with Firefox browser. It could be caused by conflicting software. I didnt receive that error. But the Com Surrogate is there for sure as i said conflicting with Nero 6.6 issue ok.

The update of the Anti virus software available for RC1 seems not to function in RC2. Will Microsoft make another Antivirus software package available for RC2? I will not run much of RC2 until antivirus software (that works!) is available. RC2 seems great otherwise!

Hey falcon7:  thanks a ton, we can never heard this often enough!

To Instant,

Yes, to remove any trace of Vista just format the drive you are installing it on.

Know the RTM goes first to Enterprise Customers.  Sure would be nice of those of us who are beta testers, who were active participants, could have the opportunity to buy a copy or two for home early { Hint to Marketing Dept} in appreciation for our hard work and patience….

Ken

com, aux, lpt1, nul,prn, Lpt4….  i think these are reserved names that cant be created as names of folders in windows. It even does it in XP Pro with SP2. So it might not be a bug after all.

I also tried the creation of a folder "Con" and get "the specified device name is invalid" error. I was a bit frustrated with the 130 minute upgrade from the 5728 build (win XP to 5600 to 5728 and now to this 5744 build – 3.4 ghz, 800mhz fsb, 7200rpm drive and 1 gig of memory – should have been faster IMHO, though I ended up with a PI of 4.3)

Another interesting problem is that Macfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i on access scan will not remain enabled (was fine for the 5728 build) Probably will be corrected (enterprise 8.5 is beta after all) Back to trend micro for another month, I guess (would be nice to see the Live One Care Beta for RC2…)

The plus is the quick log on and log off, a bit better physical memory availability and no other compatibiity issues that I can find.

Strictly as a consumer, I would probably go for the Vista over XP – Kudos to the Development Team!

Are FireWire drivers ready? When will they be?

Now
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39024105,39284051,00.htm thinks that same thing as Cnet ok. Could that be right that its not ready for prime time.

Hi,

Downloaded the ISO @ 800 Kbps!

Install OK (less than 30 mins) in my Toshiba U200.

So far, so good. The best build yet (as expected).

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonio

I hope Nero fix the Com Surrogate Error in 7 ultra edition. When it releases vista compatible patch. Since its annoying few people in Nero 6.6 with Com Surrogate Errors in 5744. It might not be the Vistas 5744 Build fault at all. But Nero 6.6 totally at fault. Without Nero the Com surrogate error vanishes. Bye take care

IE7 won’t run flash 9 apps without hanging. When it does run it doesn’t functioning properly.

I still have problems with the Tablet going into Sleep mode. Whenever I press the power button to put the Tablet to sleep, it hangs up. This has been an issue since CPP. RC1 seemed to have fixed it. If I upgrading from RC1 to EDW sleep worked, but if I did a clean install to EDW, it stopped working.
    In RC2, clean install i continue to have problems with this issue. I am going back to my EDW install and doing an upgrade to RC2 to see if it works.

Again, this is on an HP-TC1100 Tablet.
    Apart from these annoyances, Vista is great and am not looking back!

Message to instant: Blue screen by caused by driver that not made for Vista. I never received an blue screen in Rc2 5744. You must have incompatible drivers installed ok. Try getting updated drivers from Manufacturer site. And the Build works Great.

I downloaded magiciso and it converted the file to an .iso, but during the install, I got an error, can’t find a .wim file.

I’m an MSDN subscriber and don’t see it listed in subscriber downloads. Is there a posting delay?

Yes its not downloaded properly.  If its .iso.dlm at end most likely the file is corrupted ok.

Message to zahni. The realtek audio sound wont work with cd shipped drivers. Because they were designed for xp not vista ok. If you have downloaded the beta drivers from realtek and they work thats great. Because there made for vista ok.

Jatt10;

Heh, Formating the hard drive is not an option since it has other features.

The solution to get Vista to install correctly was to remove the boot manager, using the Windows XP Recovery Console and "Fixboot".

NOW for the fun part:

After successfully installing and launching/using windows VISTA Rc2 64-bit edition I wanted to go back to XP64bit, which is installed on another hard drive.

(HD Setup From XP64 and XP32)

c: Windows XP64 + Boot DRive

d:

e: Windows XP32 bit

f: Windows Vista 64bit

(HD Setup when in Vista)

C: Windows Vista 64bit

D: Windows XP64 + Boot(?)

And now for the .. fun part.

Upon booting XP64 I am told that

Windowssystem32configSYSTEM is corrupt or missing.

Upon booting the XP64 Recovery Console also installed on C:

I get an error message about some dll files.

Upon booting the XP64bit CD and using recovery console from there, selecting 1: C:Windows installation, I am told that the System Registry might be corrupt and an "Active ControlSet Key" is missing.

I wonder what VISTA did to my XP64 bit edition installation.. did it decide to nuke it just because it was ALSO the boot drive? If so, thats a major .. bug.

And I hope there is a way to fix it :

Message to derrirc: The calendar renaming works fine. I dont know why your calendar is acting up. If you say you cant rename and it changes back. The black screen after completing installation is Normal. It happened to me for 1 or 2 mins then comes to first time Name filling section. There is a way to format the hard disk when your in installing stages in vista setup. Bye

I have a problem with aero theme. After I load a java program (limewire) it reverts to basic theme. I’ve installed java6 but it still doesnt work.

Is there a work around for this?

After using it some more, the new build works great!

FFDShow testrelease works nicely, works well together with explorer to provide thumbnail previews, and playing the video in WMP11.

My three big issues thusfar:

– Windows Explorer: the treeview refreshes very poorly, and I can’t find an easy way to initiate a refresh.

– Watching DVD (WMP + MCE): subtitles won’t work.

– NEC DVD writer: after watching a DVD, ejecting and loading the same DVD again, my NEC disappears from the Device Manager (until I do a scan of hardware changes). Might be because of Nero 6.6?

Keep up the great work, looking forward to RTM. Will there be small fixes through Windows Update?

Found an issue: Doing a search on a network mapped drive to find a file matching a character string, Vista missed the file completely, whereas, every other computer on the network I tested found it.

Hey Gary96LT4:  The download of RC2 has been closed, I’m afriad to say — we received our targeted number of downloads and had to close the program due to the fact that we can only process feedback on just so many submissions in time to address it for RTM.  I’m sorry that you did not get thru.

To AlexDaryan: Its still in Beta Stages Vista so i dont know if it will work on tablet pc properly. But it works on Desktop fine.  There is a Conflict between Nero 6.6 in Vista 5744. When you install Nero 6.6 it causes the DllHost.exe Error COM Surrogate has stopped working ok. When you uninstall Nero6.6. The Dllhost.exe error Vanishes. So Nero 6.6 has a Problem with Vista 5744. Another then that the Os is Stable and fixed few bugs i think.

Im just glad Im no longer on dial up, or this download would take months!

Ok I just heard Nero 7 will be releasing a Test Version for Vista Soon today ok.

Yes it ended the downloads of Rc2 5744 today.

I’ve run into a few issues with RC2.

After upgrading from RC1, and then setting up MCE the MCE screen flashes (blinks to black and back).

After the windows updates are done, MCE will not run, as well as a number of other applications that did run simply shoot up a "application has stopped responding…"

My sinking suspicion is the .NET update that is autoupdated into rc2 is making a mess of things. I’m also getting a bit of graphics corruption between the start and the login screens, so possibly the gf6800 default driver is at issue.

Whatever the difference is, it is making RC2 quite unusable while RC1 was going fine.

Ah, time to see if CPP RC2 works. Have been unable to install anything since Beta 2 in either 32 or 64-bit editions.

Seems like Vista detects the previous installation that I removed Manually and fails after the initial file copy/setup…

every time.. :

Then it does a revert. Any log files or something I can send to MS as a bug report.. although I am not in the beta team so I guess there is no point.

Update: The dllHost.exe error i reported above is conflicting with Nero 6.6. So after i uninstalled it the Nero 6.6 that error is gone (Vanished) Now i will say RC2 is good and better then 5600 or 5728. Great Job Microsoft and keep up the great work.

I just hope that Windows Live Messenger Users can video chat with Xbox360 Live Vision Webcam users soon.

That for me is a must, just look at the success of myspace, and other sites like youtube which allow people to share more with video, text or music this is where windows vista and the 360 need to go.

Besides which I’ld love to be able to videomessage from my armchair as opposed to my computer room… Im lazy!

Hey t43m4n:  Apparently Sun has a version of Java currently in beta that will make this work.  You can find more info here: http://www.java.net/download/jdk6/binaries/

Have been using the 5744 build since it’s release on Friday.

Seems to be excellent in a variety of tasks.  Think that RTM

is not to far away.  Nick, I hope you will pass along our

congratulations to the whole team !!

That’s disappointing that the RC2 download is over. I heard about it Friday and constantly tried going into my MSDN subscription over the weekend, however it never showed up in the list under Windows Vista.

Then I found the CPP link today, however it appears it was yanked this afternoon with redirects to RC1.

I was hoping for this RC2 release, however it appears maybe there was a problem with it or maybe a RC3 will come out since they had a very short time frame for downloading rc2. 3 days ??

regarding question: "Please tell me what is the maximum score/rating that you can get with WinSAT/Windows Experience Index??"

The maximum rating possible today is 5.9. In the future the score may be expanded to include higher ratings when new hardware allows new capabilities. However, this is not expected to happen for at least 18 months.

Most of today’s notebook are still design for Windows XP not Vista. I notice most manufacturer just incorporate today’s notebook with more memory, faster processor, better display/graphics card, and place a "Vista Ready" sticker on it, thats all. I prefer to buy notebook which is purely and fully design for Windows Vista, having said that, wonder these type of notebook is going to be ready before or after christmas???

Reply to Jatt10:  Yes complete format of HD before installing Vista.  At first I thought it was a software conflict, but in the latest RC2, it started happening almost immediately, no software installed.

I will install it on another tablet pc I have and see if it happens also.

Again, this is more of an annoyance than anything.  I have been using Vista as my only OS since RC1 and have found it to be great.

Seems like vista decided that it would be too easy for my to use the recovery console to manually repair my registry using a restore point and thusly my System Volume Information folder is a bit smaller than what it was before i installed vista….

Thanks 🙂

I got the download started, then it got interupted right before it finsihed.  Now the links don’t work.  Not fair.