It’s Official: Windows Vista RC1 Is Complete

This just in:  Platforms and Services Co-President Jim Allchin has just now posted an announcement that RC1 is complete on the TechBeta/TAP site (note that it’s password-protected).  We’re reproducing the text here so that you all can see his comments.  As per usual, we’re initially rolling out the code to the TechBeta and TAP programs alone, while MSDN and TechNet subscribers will be offered access next week.

To the TechBeta community:

It’s official — Windows Vista RC1 is done!

We could not have achieved this milestone without your support.  The quantity and quality of feedback and data we received from you has been essential to helping us progress.  Thus we wanted you to be the first customers outside of Microsoft to get access to the bits.  Next week, a broader set of technical customers will get them via MSDN and TechNet.  But you’re the first!  We wanted to get it into your hands asap so you can start giving us feedback right away.

You’ll notice a lot of improvements since Beta 2.  We’ve made some UI adjustments, added more device drivers, and enhanced performance.  We’re not done yet, however — quality will continue to improve.  We’ll keep plugging away on application compatibility, as well as fit and finish, until RTM.  If you are an ISV, RC1 is the build you should use for certifying your application.

The operating system is in great shape with RC1, but there’s still a lot of testing to do.  You’ve come through for us so far, and I’m asking you to once again put the pedal to the metal and send us feedback.  Windows Vista is going to touch hundreds of millions of lives all around the world.  Thanks for everything you’re doing to help us give them the best experience possible.

As you can see from Jim’s words above, if you’re a TechBeta or TAP participant, RC1 is now available to you!  Soon it will be made available to those of you outside those programs who want to test it.  I’ll have word on that next week, so watch this space.

Oddly, nobody announced that here 🙂 You can download: Microsoft Pre-Release Software Microsoft .NET

End of August we made available a pre-RC1 – and just a few days later I am super pleased (Honest – I…

I received a mail just after midnight UK time from Jim Allchin that starts "A few moments ago, the Windows

Now that Windows Vista RC1 has shipped, Brian Valentine, Senior Vice President of Windows Core Operating…

Mucho tiempo ha pasado desde que escuche la palabra Longhorn por primera vez, y de a poco ya se va convirtiendo

According to rumours by Paul Thurrott (and others) you can find Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate

I’m writing to you from Vista RC1 (build 5600) right now.  I’ve installed it on 3 different machines….

Just a quick note that the RC1 ISO files are available on both the MSDN and TechNet download sites. …

Jim Allchin’s announcement of Release Candidate 1 of Vista via the Windows Vista Team blog:
    To the TechBeta community:
    It’s official — Windows Vista RC1 is done!
    We could not have achieved this milestone without your support.  The quant..

Windows Vista RC1… arrived!

Windows Vista RC1 was completed today. From the Windows Vista Team Blog:

It’s official —…

via Neowin : Windows Vista RC1 was just posted on Microsoft Connect. (~2:45 EST) View: Windows Vista

Windows Vista RC1 build 5600 is complete.  My download is in progress from Seattle and I’ll…

Nick White posted on the Windows Vista team blog that RC1 is complete. TechBeta and TAP customers already

Windows Vista RC1 (RC1 v5600-16384) was released to technical beta testers yesterday. It will also be…

And all kinds of things happen! Windows Vista RC1 got published along with its accompanying SDK (no tools…

Vista RC1 is out! The news was announced late last night on the Windows Vista blog. Additional coverage…

Dave Northey and a couple of the technical team in the Irish office downloaded what we believed to be…

Well so much for beta 3 – Microsoft announced today the release of Windows Vista Release Candidate 1,…

ISVs, start your engines. It’s official: Microsoft releases RC1 of Vista.

James pinged me about a few hours ago to check if we were supposed to tell the world…

צוות הפיתוח של מערכת ההפעלה Windows Vista הודיע רישמית כי Windows Vista RC1 מוכנה. מנויי MSDN ו-TechNet יקבלו גישה לגירסה זו בשבוע הבא.

Foi lançado o Windows Vista RC1 , de acordo com o blog oficial do Vista

W00t! Vista RC1 is ready and available for download soon.  As per usual, we’re initially rolling…

All I have to say is: Freakin’ Sweet! Link to Windows Vista Team Blog : It’s Official: Windows Vista

With the recent release of Windows Vista RC1, I have seen many comments on places like Slashdot and various…

The last couple of days there have been quite some Microsoft releases. Windows Vista RC1 is available

Go here.  The information I had was that we built 5584 on Monday, which was intended to be the release….

Hot off the press: Microsoft today released Windows Vista RC1 which is labeled as build 5600. I shall

…is a question I keep getting asked. Now that we’ve announced that it’s finished, people understandably…

Just in time for the long weekend Microsoft dropped the .NET Framework 3.0 runtime release candidate. …

and the pundits say Vista won’t ship. Jim Alchin just sent a mail out internally and to the beta testers…

Still in holiday but I wanted to share this with you if didn’t know yet we released Vista RC1 it is build…

As you may have heard by now, Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is complete! See the announcement…

Today marked a pretty significant release for Microsoft: Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 was made available to beta testers today. To clarify, Release Candidate means candidate for release, as in, "We think this version is so good it could be..

Two big announcements:

Windows Vista RC1

Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is complete,…

Again, fingers still missing on left hand, so just a quick one to say that RC1 has started the shift

Liberada la version Windows Vista RC1.
    Como ya dijimos en esta otra noticia  dias atras Microsoft confirma la fecha de salida de windows vista  , en la que indicabamos que para el mes de Septiembre saldria Windows Vista  Rc1 y asi ha sido.
    Segun un anunc

43. Priyajeet says:

Just woke up to see this. I will probably be transiting to Vista starting with RC1 as my major OS (still having XP there though for now). Great job, and news.

44. nwhite says:

Hey everybody:  just wanted to clarify that the TechBeta/TAP site is not open to the public, so RC1 is not currently available to you if you’re not part of one of those programs.

**However,** we’re planning to make RC1 available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers next week, and to the general public shortly thereafter.  Also, anyone who participated in testing of Beta 2 will also be given the opportunity to download/order RC1.

45. Ambious says:

I heard rumors going around that this build contains something called ‘Vector Glass’, which has been kept secret until now.

Anybody cares to elaborate on whether this is true, and if so, what exactly IS vector glass?

46. slavitch says:

For us Beta 2 Victims: Is RC1 an iso or is it an update? The latter would be much more pleasant.

Does the timebomb stay the same?

47. Mondsplitter says:

I don’t know what to expect from Windows Vista yet, but still I’m very excited. I can’t wait to get my fingers on this first release candidate. Hopefully it won’t be to long, because soon I have to continue my study and the time for testing will be small then.

48. barlog says:

Congratulations and Welcome RC1 !!

I’ll be waiting for JAPANESE build5560 🙂

49. nwhite says:

Hey slavitch:  the file is available as an ISO image, not as an update.  I know that’s not optimal in terms of convenience, but quite frankly, there’s no need to look backward toward B2 😉

50. wcitech says:

I hope Vista still goes through some significant UI changes.  I’m not trying to start a flame war, but the new explorer.exe file browsers seem to have almost no design structure.  The colors, the layouts, the buttons all seem so haphazard.  It almost resembles nothing of XP.  I can’t even find the option to switch my address bar back to the traditional C:FolderFile format.

The colors don’t match, the document storage structure has changed so much that I can’t make it work like it used to.  Aero makes the window effects look awesome, and the new start menu is a big convenience, but besides that I can’t see enough benefit to make my customers upgrade to this new, almost alien operating system.

51. edefence says:

Congrats on the release. We all knew that you could do it. Great way to start off September.

I posted the news and a link on my blog:

52. andyahunt says:

I’ve defintly noticed RC1 being better than beta 2. But i do have some concerns. Vista dosent seem to be very gamer friendly, as many games dont work under vista…at least for now. and dang does it use a lot of ram, it uses 512 or so of my gig. But i do feel that you guys are on the right track, HUGE improvement over Beta 2. Congrats!

53. Arthinel says:

Good news, men! Hope the progress will not be stopped ’till release. Best luck to ya, guys.

54. mmc says:

Мне понравилась 5384 остальных не смог скачать.

Наверное теперь RC1 достанется. Хотелось иметь в окончательной версии хороший встроенный переводчик! Но наверное этого не будет.

RC1 хотелось попробовать обе x86 и x64 возможно ли это?

55. chipacito says:

Hola nick, increible noticia pero quisiera preguntarte algo acerca de la version final: ¿va a estar en 1 solo dvd las versiones de 32 y 64 bits?¿tal vez en un dvd9?¿o se van a vender por separado?. If you don’t understand the question in my language, let me know and i will translate. Greetings from Argentina.

56. ZoLkIeN says:

Spanish version will be published??

57. dingo says:

Has the audio device roles feature been removed from Vista?  In previous betas you could choose separate default audio devices for Console, Movies&Music, and Communications.  Now In RC1 it appears I can only select one default sound device.

Say it isn’t so…

58. RitLugh says:

Since I don’t know where to post this feature request, I think I’d better post it here:

There are typically three modes for desktop wallpapering: Center, Tile and Stretch. My question is: Could it be possible to add a "Resizable Tile" mode that just do exactly the same job as Tile only the resulted image can be "zoomed in" or "zoomed out" in an adjustable manner.

And also, I highly recommend a "keep aspect ratio" option.

59. Arthinel says:

I guess it would be excess addition. Open any photo editor and make anything you want with background 😉

60. anony.muos says:

All the things I need without an open extensible multimedia framework replacing Video for Windows and ACM as a multimedia pro.

61. przemek says:

When Windows Vista RC1 will be available for all?

62. anony.muos says:

The ActiveSync replacement just doesn’t work with any of the mobile devices…and you think this is RC1?

63. Zyphrax says:

Nice work on the RC1 build. You even managed to get Paul Thurrott smiling again. However in his last article he did point out some issues, and I must say he’s got a point:

My 5 cents:

– Show the add/remove gadget bar only when the sidebar has focus (just like the border)

– Get Creative to join the driver club, all hardware is detected by default, except for the soundcard.

– As Paul noted: inconsistencies between windows application UIs

– As Paul noted: Internet Explorer download folder, maybe a link to it, or default it to the Desktop or …?

– Allow the Welcome center to be turned off at first boot 😉

– Is the WMP gadget coming back?

And great job on the Media Center intro animation!

64. Zyphrax says:

By the way, is there a way to filter out the Pingbacks in this blog’s comments?

65. nwhite says:

Sorry, Zyphrax, not that I know.

66. nwhite says:

Hey przemek:  watch this space 🙂

67. nwhite says:

ZoLkIeN: RC1 will only be available in English, Japanese, German and Arabic.  I’m afraid you’ll need to wait for the market release for the Spanish version.

68. nwhite says:

Oye chipacito:  ¡claro que sí te entiendo!  En este caso, es el mismo como el de Beta 2, es decir que en ese entonces distribuíamos las dos versiones en dos discos DVD, uno para la x86 y otro para la de 64-bit, en el mismo estuche.  En cambio, cuando se libere al mercado el la versión final, habrás que comprar o la x86 ó la de 64-bit por separadas; no se vendrán juntas.

69. Ashwin says:

Nwhite, Do you know why didnt i recieve an email, invitation for RC1??? Yes, I took part in the CPP.

70. Ashwin says:

Sry about that nwhite, I found out that CPP members will recieve it on september 7th. Sry for the incovenience.

71. Jeb says:

Can I post this question here?

I downloaded RC1 Friday night and burned the .iso disk.  RC1 wouldn’t load, however, due to this error:  "You must make the following changes before installing Windows.  Contact device manufacturer for updated drivers for these devices: IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller."

Beta 2 loaded and ran perfectly on this same machine (Asus N4L w/ 945G chipset) three months ago.  No changes whatsoever have been made either to software or hardware since loading Beta 2.  I’m dual-booting between XP and Vista.

I ran Windows Upgrade Advisor on XP after the error msg was returned.  WUA did not identify any serious errors, except that "Before installing Windows, uninstall Nero OEM".  Nero, of course, is the program I used to burn the .iso disk.  How could Nero, which is loaded on XP, impact anything related to DVD device manufacturer drivers under Vista?

I’m limited in my ability to run WUA under Vista B2, because I’m only connected wirelessly, and Beta 2 does not support my Netgear PCI wireless adapter.  So, I can’t run WUA under Vista.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

72. syscrasher13 says:

Hey people I just read this

that that guy is an ignorant, I personally love RC1 and I think it kicks ass,

its a new OS … what’s the point of making new things.. if you are going to compare them to the old ones all of the time… in that case lets just not advance lets stop progress and keep the old stuff for ever, lets just stop everything and keep XP for ever and ever… if it were up to me I would have made Vista completely different with nothing in common with the old stuff… its called progress bring it on!

thanks to all the Vista team great job!

73. janely says:

This comment is in response to the comment above:"Monday, September 04, 2006 1:42 AM by someone "

ActiveSync is replaced by Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) in Vista.  WMDC is supported in Vista Beta 2 and available from Windows Update.  We are currently working on an update for RC1.