Windows Vista Beta2 Download Experience: An Update

There has been much discussion on this blog and others as to how tech enthusiasts can get their hands on the Windows Vista Beta2 release, given the traffic that the download site is experiencing.  We want to let you know that we are pumping out bits as fast as we can in order to serve you as best we can.  In fact, if we were to push out the bits any faster, there could be a considerable impact on the Internet as a whole -- which we of course want to avoid.

So, it's not that we didn't anticipate this level of interest or demand, but that we are at the threshold of what the Internet can bear.

As a recourse, we're encouraging those of you who can wait to instead order the DVD.  In addition, ordering the DVD will also guarantee access to the RC1 (Release Candidate) upgrade, provided you activate your version of Windows Vista Beta2.

Please note that we're estimating that DVDs will take about 1-4 weeks to arrive depending where they're destined for in the world.  (Also note that Microsoft does not benefit from orders for the DVD -- we are charging only for cost of goods and shipping.)

Those of you who've already requested a PID (product ID) key and want to get the DVD can simply return to the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program site and complete the DVD ordering process there, where you will be issued a new PID key.

In the end, for some users it may come down to a question of whether their time or money is better spent; if that's the case, then some people might be better off simply ordering the DVD.

Whatโ€™s the deal with the BitTorrent sites springing up to mirror the Beta 2 release of Windows Vista? …

2. Kyle Lees says:

I was able to download and burn the 64-bit client for my 64-bit processor, but I am currently running a 32-bit Windows XP, so setup.exe is giving me a ‘not a valid Win32 application’ error.

I am able to boot with the DVD, but to upgrade from XP without wiping the system, the installer needs to be run in XP.

It is a tasty pickle, yet becoming too hard to chew.

3. John says:

I didn’t have a problem.  Or, more concisely, I didn’t have a problem once I dumped the download manager that was being distributed with the beta.  Next time MS may want to try bit torrent.

4. Garry Trinder says:

Kyle, I had the same problem, but I was able to install it without losing everything from a boot.  If you have partitioning software, you can install it on a different drive and things work fine.  The only issues I’m having with it are problems with 32-bit programs.  I got a file system corruption error and ran chkdsk, and ever since it won’t run 32-bit stuff saying some dll is missing.  But the nice thing is Windows Update was able to find all the drivers for my hardware.

5. Steve says:

Does Vista Home Basic run fast with 512Mb of Ram?

And, what are its features (excluding the Premium ones)?

I’d buy it just for its security features.

Does it run fast as XP with 512Mb of Ram or it is slower anyway?

Thank you.

6. Bruce Boughton says:

Well it runs fast with 2Gb of RAM on a Athlon X2 4400+!  And it’s pretty.  Though WMP11 seems to have issues where it randomly stutters as if there’s high CPU load.

7. Marc-Andre Pilon says:

i have installed vista , and am not able to sync with my pocket pc via the sync center, it does not show at all

8. Enefiok Usoro says:

If u really want to download vista via internet being that the explorer browser system is jammed with users. I have a way

Download firefox cut and paste the vista down load page on the firefox browser when it pulls up click your appropraite method save to desktop and violla! you are on your way. (Downloading Using you own download manager) Mine downloaded in 1hr 20mins

9. Enefiok Usoro says:

10. Sidebar Geek says:

I think you just got lucky and got a good download. I don’t think using Firefox had anything to do with it ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. spj11 says:

Flip 3D disabled in Beta version?

I tried Win Key + Tab, Win Key + Space.. doesn’t seems to be working.

12. Sidebar Geek says:

Works for me just fine. I think you need to have 3+ windows open at the same time. Also note it only works if you have Windows Aero working.

13. Enefiok Usoro says:

Does anyone know how to syncronize outlook and other none music or video files eg mobile applications to a WM5 device using vista. I take it active sync is not currently compatable with wista

14. Sidebar Geek says:

ActiveSync is not compatible with Vista Beta 2 currently and they plan to integrate some of the ActiveSync into Windows Mobile Sync Center in Vista. I’ve yet to discover a way to sync my Windows Mobile 5 phone with Outlook in Vista. I use my XP Laptop to do that.

Again, part of the reason why its called Beta 2 is not *everything* works.

15. Sidebar Geek says:

Plus side though is WMP 11 on Vista picks up my Phone and allows me to put music on it.

16. Matt says:

I downloaded the file, but am unable to burn it to a dvd. I consider myself to be computer geek, and I’M not even sure what I’m doing wrong. I have written the file ITSELF, not the image, just the ISO file to 2 dvds and I can’t make the image……PLEEEESE HELP!!!! I’m dying to try it out!

17. Sidebar Geek says:

Matt, head on over to the Microsoft Public Newsgroups – Microsoft has created several Windows Vista Beta 2 Newsgroups that could be useful to you – I’m sure there’s someone there that can help you get the DVD burning issue you have figured out.

18. Mat says:

I managed to burn the ISO to a DVD, but ONE file couldn’t be extracted!!!! It’s called "install.wim" under the main "sources" file. Could someone email me that file at mathewy@zoomtown.com?

I’d REALLY appriciate it!!!!!

I know this probably sounds wierd……..

19. Sidebar Geek says:

Mat, your best bet is to go to the public newsgroups and post about your issue there…someone there can probably help you out. By the way, your question is absolutely NOT weird ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know alot of folks are heading to the public newsgroups and getting some responses to specific issues they are having. Its unlikely you’ll find an answer here on this blog.

20. DJ TECH says:

Sidebar, how do you turn on Windows Aero?

21. DJ TECH says:

Sidebar, how do you turn on Windows Aero?

22. Sidebar Geek says:

If its not on by default after your installation that usually means your Video Card isn’t capable for Aero or the drivers aren’t correct.

There is no simple way to turn on Windows Aero. Early hacks to the registry have since then don’t work anymore. I’ve tried a few ๐Ÿ˜‰

23. DJ TECH says:

how do can I know if my card is good enough, do i go to the device manager? or what do I do?

24. DJ TECH says:

I have 256mb of RAM, do you think that has anything to do with it?

25. Sidebar Geek says:

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor is the best way to see if your hardware is good enough for the best Vista experience. I suggest installing and running it. It will detect your video card and tell you if it can run Windows Aero and what you may need to do to get it to run.

This is one of the best tools out there for prepping for Vista.

26. DJ TECH says:

thanks, I have it downloaded but i never installed it.

27. DJ TECH says:

one more thing. can you install Norton Antivirus 2006 on vista. it tells me that it is incompatible. do you know the link of any newsgroups that talk about it?

28. Sidebar Geek says:

Please install it… this tool should have been ran on your PC before installing Vista to give you an idea of what kind of experience you can expect.

29. DJ TECH says:

i will just right now. how about the other question?

30. Sidebar Geek says:

I am not sure Norton Antivirus is compatible. I heard it was not and folks are recommending Computer Associate’s EZ Antivirus. They are offering a free 1 year subscription for Vista Beta Testers.

One thing you will notice with Beta 2 is that specific applications will not work due to the way they are designed and this is the kind of feedback Microsoft is looking for.

I do not know of a specific newsgroup link talking about it but there is a Newsgroup on Application Compatibility in Beta 2 you should check out.

31. DJ TECH says:

32. Sidebar Geek says:

Just posted – read above.

33. DJ TECH says:

thank you, i finished the test and it tells me that 512mb of ram is completely required. I also need to get a 128 video card. i have a 64mb one. I never thought the advisor would work. thanks for the link by the way.

34. Sidebar Geek says:

I am glad the Advisor helped you out!

35. DJ TECH says:

one thing: how can i get a manual download with windows vista. you know how the updates you get them on the computer, not on the website. how?

36. DJ TECH says:

the advisor told me to get an update for my graphics card, but microsof update doesn’t detect it. it would be the first time i had to manually download, but its harder with Vista.

37. Jeremie says:

Using Vista as I write this, so far, so good!

Installation and the OS as a whole has been much more stable and problem-free than I was expecting. I must say I am pleasenty surprised.

I was able to download before "the rush" by the way *snicker*

38. Diego Barros says:

John, they probably won’t supply a torrent because they don’t want to support something they didn’t invent? Who knows. Maybe they want to take over the world if (or when) they release Avalanche (http://research.microsoft.com/~pablo/avalanche.aspx).

Other companies already supply torrent downloads, so I don’t know why MS feels they can’t. If MS knows something other companies don’t know then someone should fill them in.

39. Mark says:

Hey guys, I have downloaded the BETA 2 on to my desktop. I am quite impressed with it, it even fixed the PC, because I lost my Sound Card Driver CD, and Vista had the drivers built in! Nice.

(-) But my problem is I have a Gigabyte/ATI Radeon 9250 Graphics card and it is AGP and 128 meg’s of ram. I cannot enable Aero. I would LOVE to see the glass interface. Just for your informaition, my PC’s spec’s are as follows:

-640 meg system RAM

-Celeron 2.00ghz

-40 meg HDD

Can anyone help me?

40. Mark says:

\–UPDATE FROM COMMENT ABOVE–//

I installed Vista to my Acer Aspre Laptop and it’s spec is 1.72ghz pentium M 512 mb system ram mobile radeon x700 64meg video ram (40 gig hdd partition).

It installed dual boot with xp and guess what?

I GOT AERO THIS IS SO WIERD! IT HAS 1/2 THE REQUIRED VIDEO RAM AND I GOT AERO BUT I HAVE DOUBLE THAT ON THE DESKTOP AND NO AERO!

is this a miracle?

i hav screen shots to show it:

(on the acer laptop)http://ebayuserpics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/aero.JPG

(on the desktop)

41. Mark says:

\–UPDATE FROM COMMENT ABOVE–//

It installed dual boot with xp and guess what?

is this a miracle?

i hav screen shots to show it:

(on the acer laptop)http://ebayuserpics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/aero.JPG

(on the desktop)

42. Taron says:

I am getting the following error message

:setup is not a valid win32 application…can someone help

43. alex says:

hi ,

i can’t wait to get the disk in the post but any advice about installing it.. the only problem i have to install it on my primary evoirment because my laptop doesn’t have enough spces when i ran the checker thing so i might install it on the laptop because it has xp on it and that works but the specs require more then i had on the laptop so i am hoping it will work on the vista too. fingers crossed.

44. DJ TECH says:

sidebar, how can i get a manual download with windows vista. you know how the updates you get them on the computer, not on the website. how?

45. Sidebar Geek says:

Not sure what you mean…like downloading a driver seperately without Windows Update?

I’d go to the hardware manufacturer’s website. Again this is a question for the newsgroups.

46. Sidebar Geek says:

Taron, I recommend heading over to the public newsgroups Microsoft has set up for Beta 2 and ask your question there. There are a lot of folks in the newsgroups that can help you out.

47. ashish_1 says:

Please help me,i am having download problems. If i use the download manager for downloading it downloads a 191 bytes html file, i have used every available download manager, but its the same.
    If i use the download manager, it gives a network problem, the akmai download manager. I am behind a proxy, can please anyone tell me how to change the proxy settings for this particular download manager.
    Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Milan says:

I cannot order Windows Vista! When I select my country Serbia and Montenegro, i get an error: "MSI Three Character CountryCode Not Found for YU". Such a shame – I really wanted to "Experience clarity…now!"

49. Chris P says:

Maybe I got in after the rush I found no problem downloading from thailand. Maybe it’s a zone thing?

I did have a bit of a fight burning the image file to disk, since I don’t have a DVD writer on my PC I used my MacBook Pro and Toast Titanium. I’m surprised how much the Vista environment looks like Mac’s!

50. Alexander B. says:

Microsoft are aware that they could just put up a torrent seed for the beta?

51. Steve says:

Tried downloading the beta when it was first announced but the severs were busy… tied that a few times to see if i could get in… so today i try and i get this error….

"Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program.

Note:  Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to 10 PCs using with one Product Key. "

How can i get download the beta now…

thanks for you help.

</steve>

52. Chris says:

Steve, maybe you could get another hotmail, or msn  account and try downloading under an alias.

Chris

53. Chris says:

Vista looks nice, but it still has a few too many llittle bugs for me to use it as a primary OS.

I’d like to know the best way to return to XP. I didn’t have an option for an upgrade so I clean installed. The installer said the old windows file was kept in a folder named "Old Windows. Now, with all those files my partition is almost full. I’ve got 1.22GB left out of 32.4GB. I’d like to rollback to XP and reinstall Vista on a different partition. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I notice when I boot up I have a choice of starting Vista or my previous OS. Does this mean I can reinstall that way?

54. Chris says:

… besides, I miss my 5.1 speakers!

cmp

55. shaun says:

Got vista and is working great but it is telling me to upgrade the display adapter and i dunno how to. I am using a brand new pc Dimension 5150c from Dell with Nvedia Graphics card, Can anyone please tell me where to find an update for the display card.

Thanks

56. DJ TECH says:

simply go to the card’s brand web page and search for updates for your product.

57. George Elliott says:

Anyone installing antivirus software I wouldn’t recommend the EZ antivirus that microsoft suggest. It doesn’t play nicely with UAC turned on, everytime you start up or log in as a different user it needs to be authorised to run its tray apps, annoying if your an admin but impossible if your a standard user and don’t have an admin password. I don’t know it effects virus detection or not but it really shouldn’t have to ask for authorisation every time. I’ve gone back to Avast, seems to be fully vista compliant, and manages to put a tray icon in the tray without intervention.

58. Sidebar Geek says:

George, I’m currently using EZ antivirus with UAC turned on without any problems what so ever. Yeah once you boot in it asks you twice to give permission to the background applications but after that, it runs pretty sweet.

It only asks me to authorize only when I boot in – and I usually don’t restart my system that often so those prompts only bug me every now and then.

59. swapnil says:

it seems from u r blog only that there are too many people with the 8000…… problem. i think ms needs to seriously do something to improve on that score.

its reakkt frustrating to have to wait for hours to d/l and then get a error that seems right out of the ms servers.

swapnil

60. Sidebar Geek says:

swapnil, the servers are just swamped right now…there are alot of folks downloading Beta 2. If you’re continuing to have issues, I recommend getting the DVD which should take 1 week the earliest or 4 the latest to get to you. That way you don’t have to mess with the download and burning it on to a DVD.

Sorry you’re having issues.

61. Leonardo says:

please i wanna install windows vista, but i download it at 64bits but my xp is 32bits….how can i istall windows vista ???

pleaseee help me!!!

62. Robert S. says:

I am a pro installer of anything OSes, applications you name it my URL is my PayPal.com account so for those whom want me to stay in touch please donate to me so I can afford to stay on these internet community actions.

I run Microsoft windows with Redhat Fedora or Sun Solaris so for those whom can donate me a coppy of Windows Vista Premium I can start helping those in need of Windows Vista fixes, to best install email me for mailing options

For those interested I have websites to share to all. These are some of the best sites that i have ever seen along side some others that I have seen.

Whom ever this Robert Sanford character is he must be a very valuable person and worth investing in and paying attention to and to see what he is willing to do next on these websites of his.

If my paypal.com account does not work please email me at tecgnull@comcast.net and I will get to you as soon as I can. Thanx Robert S.

63. WannabeGeek says:

Same problem as a number of others. Can’t get the downloads (I’ve done 2, just lucky I guess) to run after burning the iso to DVD. The autorun dll won’t work and can’t start setup. The public forum is no help. They suggest mounting the image using such tools as Dameon, tried that twice. Even copied to hard drive and tried from there. All the files are there. Just can’t kickstart the darn thing. Any other suggestions on this blog?

64. DJ TECH says:

listen wannabe, that same thing happened to me. the first time i installed vista, i simply upgraded XP SP2 to vista. after the first restart, my display drivers got erased. i thought it was a simple issue the installer had, but once i finished it would be gone. i was wrong. my display was horrible. i thought maybe there was a problem with my installation. i thought of doing it again. the second time i installed it, i tried to boot, but it wouldn’t let me. i backed up all my files, and re-installed XP SP2. everything was alright, i upgraded it again, and the same thing happened. then all of the sudden i thought it might need a driver update. that’s what it was after all. right after i checked for new updates, i installed them and restarted my computer. before the update it was running 4bit, after the restart it was 32bit. I discovered it Vista worked only if you upgraded XP SP2, if tried to install by boot, it wouldn’t do it. I made a clean install and just erased the "windows.old" folder. now i have vista running.

65. DJ TECH says:

sidebar, do you know of any programs that burn CDs, DVDs, and files like Nero or Roxio that actually work for Vista. I tried to install Nero 6, and it wouldn’t let me, i tried to install 7 and it still wouldn’t let me, anything?

66. Sidebar Geek says:

I am unaware of any application off the top of my head. I dual boot so I have XP that I do all my burning on.

67. Disappointed by MS says:

1) The era of Windows is over

2) It’s about time to switch to a Mac, really

3) They don’t deserve success for Vista, they have copied too much from Mac OS X Tiger 10.4

4) Let’s boycott Windows Vista

5) Bye bye farewell Microsoft

68. Disappointed by MS says:

Typo:

1) The age of Windows is over

69. dolldesign says:

HI,

the install was not too bad 3 tries, bsod’s normal for a beta

but how do I make vista recognize my ati x1600pro card with  512 meg mem

70. DJ TEHC says:

download the updates for hardware, when you install vista, it deletes all your hardware software

71. DJ TECH says:

Sidebar, how can I get Vista Build 5456? I need to know, please. I will do anything for it.

72. tlove21 says:

Well I have been using Vista for the last 5 days or so called Microsoft to activate as it didn’t open up my COM ports for my GPRS connection to the internet. Will figure that out soon, all my hardware got recognized but with Vistas own software most worked quite fine had to find drivers for a couple stuff like when I plugged in a USB device. I did a dual boot so all I did was scan my XP hard drive and wallah my hardware was up and running fine my bluetooth modem got detected Ports still shut though but everything started running cool. I am using a watered down PC, to see how well it would run. 1GB Corsair Pro, 256MB ATI Radeon X800 Pro, 200GB Hardrive with a 60GB partition for VISTA processor very low a mere 1.67 overclocked to 1.8 I had no issues with nothing other than MEdia Centre that sucked the processor to the extreme. I must say I am impressed as it runs cool looks sweet and gives me so much more control of all the things I need. Just need those PORTS open.