When you try to install a network printer on a computer that is running Windows 7, you receive the following error message:
Windows cannot connect to the printer (details: Operation failed with error 0x0000052e)
This problem can occur if the credentials on the Windows 7 client do not match the credentials that are stored on the print server. Error message “0x0000052e” indicates the following error:
“Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.”
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
1. Before you add the network printer, open a Command Prompt window, and type the following at the command prompt and enter the appropriate credentials in the authentication window:
Note: In this command, <servername> represents the name of the print server and <printername> represents the share name of the printer.
2. Store a trusted credential in Credential Manager. To do this, follow these steps:
1) In Control Panel, open Credential Manager.
2) Click Add a Windows credential.
3) In the dialog box, enter an appropriate print server name. Then, enter a user name and password that are trusted on the print server.
4) Click OK.
This behavior is different in earlier Windows versions. In those versions, you are prompted for credentials if the connection fails because of an unknown user name or a bad password.