The TechNet Wiki Community Council is in motion and marching forward!
This is part of a series:
We especially want to welcome new members (since “Enter the Council“):
- Brent Groom
- Yagmoth (Philippe)
- Tord Nordahl
- Zoltán Horvath
- Naomi N
We’ve shifted a few people to other groups as we spawn up two new groups, the TechNet Wiki Advisory Group (this is more of a re-launch than “new”; MVPs who will give an advisory role and will moderate content across their areas) and the TechNet Wiki International Council (community language leaders who will help grow their language communities). So we’ve got some new members!
Microsoft Employees (5)
- Ed Price – Profile
- Peter Geelen – Profile
- Bruno Lewin – Profile
- Markus Vilcinskas – Profile
- Brent Groom – Profile
- Leonardo Ponti – Profile
- Peter Laker (aka XAMLguy) – Profile
- Margriet Bruggeman – Profile
- Richard Mueller – Profile
- Philippe Levesque – Profile
- Tord Nordahl – Profile
- Zoltán Horvath – Profile
- Naomi N – Profile
And what are we doing? We’re working on the TechNet Wiki Community Council Areas of Focus.
The basic idea is that we’re pushing forward and making progress in a lot of areas.
I want to brag about (announce) the great things we have going in some of the areas…
- Guidelines & Best Practices
- Although nobody is focusing on this right now, we’ve had some great guidelines being written around giving credit, plagiarism, and the such!
- In the Wiki UX Guidelines, Peter Geelen divided up the Page Layout section better and added more clarity around giving Credits: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1775.wiki-user-experience-guidelines/compare.aspx?revB=0&revA=130
- Naomi made some good points that we needed more clarity around the tags around pages that need to be deleted, and I finished up the Duplicate Article and Test Article sections here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13529.wiki-how-to-report-a-technet-wiki-page.aspx#Duplicate
- Bruno Lewin wrote the first pass on the new guidelines: Wiki: Best Practices for Giving Credit
- Wiki: Technologies Portal – Yagmoth added a lot of technologies that were missing. And his flurry of activity on this page has reminded a lot of people that it’s there! The result was 31 edits in July. Awesome!
- Richard is planning on this one. The basic idea is to add more in-line, embedded linking in the first paragraph of the articles (linking back to parent articles) and to add more links to Wiki articles in See Also sections.
- Richard added this bug to the Comments section of Known Issues: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx#Article_comments_get_repeated
- Richard added the similar Tags issue: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx#Tag_edits_take_a_long_time_to_show_up
- We’ve got a platform update that’s coming soon. Then we’ll check some of our bugs on that platform.
- Naomi and Richard helped find a lot of spam.
- Naomi and Carsten have been identifying any plagiarism.
- Ed created this framework: TechNet Wiki: Featured Article Teams
- The Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese Wikis were updated with new Featured Articles
- The English Wiki has mostly been updating with the TechNet Guru winners.
- Next: Another round on the non-English Wikis
- The contest marches on! Find the most recent contest here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17641.technet-guru-contributions.aspx#List_of_Existing_past_and_present_Competitions
- The bloggers are scheduled, and new bloggers have been added since May (after “Enter the Council“): Patris, Santosh, LeoPonti, & Brent Groom
- Nobody is focusing on this right now.
- Nobody is focusing on this right now.
- We created an article about the steps to getting your language established as a Wiki instance
- We invited the initial members to join the council.
- The MTFC French content award system is going strong, thanks to Bruno, Yagmoth, and Gokan! Learn about it here: Microsoft Technical French Contributor (MTFC) Award
- We have three language article awards now (English, Portuguese, and French): http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17319.wiki-governance-and-guidelines-portal.aspx#Awards_and_Featured_Articles
- Next step: Create an article that explains the International council and lists the members
- Mission – To resurrect and grow the board: TechNet Wiki Advisory Board
- This was re-launched.
- We finished some communication tools.
- Next step: More onboarding in the communication tools. Then a meeting.
- We’ve adding people! We’re finishing up adding the Interviewed Wiki Ninjas! Then we’ll go through the Top Contributors!
- The White Belt rewards have been staying up to date.
- The Yellow Belt rewards (tweets to profiles) have started.
- Working on a plan to leverage their content and customer interactions on TechNet Wiki.
So there you are! A lot of amazing things are going on! Let us know if you want to help with the council members with any of these individual efforts (or if you have any questions)!
– Ninja Ed