This week’s interview puts the spotlight on another famous Wiki Ninja.
Instead of a normal paced interview, I’ve taken another approach.
Short questions, short answers: meet Kurt!
What do you do?
I am currently the primary writer for Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) and Public Key Infrastructure on Microsoft TechNet and the next version of Windows on-the-box help.
Besides your work on the Wiki, where do you contribute? (Forums, blog?)
What’s your favorite quote?
My favorite quote really depends upon the circumstance. Many of my favorite, funny, quotes come from Despair, Inc. http://despair.com/viewall.html as in
“Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.”
My favorite political quotes come from Thomas Jefferson http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Thomas_Jefferson as in
“When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”
Fight Club Movie
“It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.”
Why this quote?
The ones on Despair, Inc. are funny and sometimes true.
Some of the quotes by Thomas Jefferson are very true today as they were in his day.
The one from Fight Club is a bit scary, but it seems very true.
What are your specialty technologies? Name max 5.
· Active Directory Certificate Services
· Active Directory Domain Services
· Public Key Infrastructure
· Windows Security
What do you do with TechNet Wiki ? (Hey, keep it short!)
Collaborate on creating content that I believe to be important to Microsoft customers.
How does your Wiki work fit into the rest of your job?
My job is to create content that helps customers accomplish what they need to accomplish with Microsoft products. The Wiki helps me work with others to get that job done.
What is it about TechNet Wiki that interests you? Define it with a few key words.
Ease of content creation and collaboration with others.
On what articles do you spend most of your time?
Those that have to do with PKI and Active Directory Certificate Services.
What are your top 5 favorite articles?
· PKI Documentation and Reference Library
· AD CS FAQ
· AD CS Overview
· PKI Design Guidance
· How to run with alternate credentials and open elevated command prompts
What are the top 5 topics that need more attention & development?
The top five on my mind are ones that I have had something to do with and personally plan on putting more effort into:
· Test Lab Guide: Converting a Single-Tier PKI CA Hierarchy to a Two-Tier PKI Hierarchy
· Certificate Enrollment Policy Web Services in Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS)
· AD CS PKI Design
· Securing wireless networks using an Active Directory Certificate Services PKI
· Active Directory Certificate Services PKI – Key Archival and Management
Who has impressed you in the Wiki community, and why?
Lots more than just one person. I have seen plenty of people creating content and updating content. I am really impressed by all the translation of articles that I am seeing happen – that is truly cool and will make the TechNet Wiki so much more valuable and useful.
What does success look like for TechNet Wiki?
When the TechNet Wiki is the default place for our new content.
Technet Wiki is (highlight 1 choice per line)
– Job / Fun
– Easy / hard to work with
– Sharing Experience / Passion
– Teaching / Learning [Kurt says: ] something else
– Sharing / gathering knowledge
– Open / closed platform
– Personal / Community driven
– For newbies / specialists [Kurt says: ] both
– Quick win / long term investment [Kurt says: ] both
– Developer / ITPro
Ask any questions you have for Kurt in the comments!
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/geelenp