ULS Viewing Like a Boss (ULS Viewer is now available)

I’m excited to announce we’ve published a new and improved version of the ULS Viewer.

About the Unified Logging Service

The Unified Logging Service (ULS) is the primary logging mechanism in SharePoint to make it easier to develop applications, expose in-depth information for debugging, and vehicle to isolate problems or threshold issues when they are encountered.  ULS writes events to the Trace Log and stores them in the file system.

For Developers ULS logs act as an extension of existing development tools as another debugging facility, in some scenarios, mitigating the need to attach a debugger to isolate an event.

For IT Professionals and support personnel ULS logs provide enough information and metadata to help determine the course of action necessary in resolution of an event and expedite support escalations where required.

The ULS Viewer provides a solution the enables presentation of ULS Log entries in a human readable format to aid in troubleshooting.

New ULS Viewer Features

Monitor multiple servers simultaneously, because we know you need to troubleshoot more than just a standalone server…

ULS1

Personalize the output with the option to edit formatting.

ULS2

Support for locating a specific log line within one or more ULS Logs based on a command line argument which enables other tools and solutions can leverage ULS Viewer as an external log viewer.

Example:

ulsviewer.exe –fileat:<logpath>@<time>

Time format is yyyy/MM/ddTHH:mm:ss.FF

Support for opening multiple ULS Log files in a single tab based on a command line argument which enables other tools and solutions can leverage ULS Viewer as an external log viewer.

Example:

ulsviewer <file1> <file2> … -combine

Optionally you can combine with "-fileat":

Example:

ulsviewer -fileat:<file1>@<time> <file2> … -combine

Fixed in ULS Viewer

Resolved updating defined filters while in paused state which provides IT Professionals and Developers an additional tool to isolate issues in high trace flow environments.

Fixed Find Again command missing matching entries.

Fixed issues with multi-line messages.

Applies more strict filter with RegEx when finding the uls log files in the log folder so that non-uls log files are not picked.

Download

To download the ULS Viewer visit http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44020.

1. Thats more than a great news. thank you

2. @Ted I’ll have a look, can you email to wbaer@microsoft.com.

3. Tom Resing MCM says:

Thanks for reviving ULSViewer! Should I expect this to work on SharePoint 2010? I receive an exception on launch. I’ll email you a screenshot.

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘UlsGump.AboutForm’ threw an exception. —> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type ‘System.Reflection.CustomAttributeExtensions’ from assembly ‘mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’.
    at UlsGump.AboutForm..cctor()
    — End of inner exception stack trace —
    at UlsGump.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

4. Frode Wika says:

@Ted Are you trying to run the new ULS Viewer on a server without .NET 4?
    @Bill Thanks for a great update! Is .NET 4 a requirement since it is looking for version 4.0.0.0 of the mscorlib?

5. Matthew Carter says:

Any way for someone like myself, IT Pro to get a better handle on Correlation ID? That’s pretty much 99% of what I use the tool for and I wonder if there is any improvement in finding that or being able to put that information in and having it "find" it
    quickly and easily!?

6. I see the search also has improved, is this correct?

7. FYI I just published a new post here
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2014/08/27/uls-viewer-and-sharepoint-2010.aspx. I would recommend installing .NET 4, or better (4.5) to address the issues commonly reported here.

8. Paul Lynch says:

@Matthew Carter – Merge-SPLogFile will do this for you. It accepts a correlation ID as input and returns only results based on this input.

9. Ron Grzywacz says:

Hooray for the rerelease!

10. Håvard Meling says:

Great to see an update for this usefull tool.

11. Ed (DareDevil57) says:

thanks

12. Frode Wika says:

@Ted I have the same problem on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with SharePoint 2010, but not on a Server 2012 R2 with SharePoint 2013. Non of these servers has .NET 4.

Anyone got the new ULS viewer running on Server 2008 R2 SP1 with SharePoint 2010?

13. Ed (DareDevil57) says:

thanks

Microsoft acaba de liberar una nueva versión de una de las herramientas más ampliamente utilizadas para

Hello Everybody
    There is a new version of ULS viewer ,as Bill Baer announced, with so many new features

16. Garry Trinder says:

Should I report bugs in the new version?

When I drag and drop a ULS log onto the new version I get the following error:
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'UlsGump.AboutForm' threw an exception. —> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Reflection.CustomAttributeExtensions' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
    at UlsGump.AboutForm..cctor()

It does open the log file, but then when I try to click on any of the lines in the logs I get this error:
    System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Int32 System.Environment.get_CurrentManagedThreadId()'.
    at UlsGump.LiveUlsEntriesPage.d__3..ctor(Int32 <>1__state)

I get a variety of other errors that I can give you the full stack traces for if anyone is interested.

By the way I am running on 2008R2 SP1, and I can drag and drop these same log files into the old ULSviewer and they work just fine in it.

I hope you guys can get this worked out because ULSViewer is such an incredibly handy program that it would be great to be able to use the updated version.

Ted

About the Unified Logging Service

18. WorTony says:

Im having the same issue as @Ted – Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard – SharePoint 2010. NO .net 4

19. Philippe MERIGOT says:

Realtime not working for me on on 2 differents farms with both Windows 2012 & Sharepoint 2013

20. Jasper Siegmund says:

What about open sourcing the code on github or codeplex? I believe I heared Jeremy Thake say that it was being considered, I think a lot of good contributions could come from that.