(contributed by Deb Bannon, WWLP)
We recently returned from the International Association of Information Technology Asset Managers (IAITAM) conference, which drew attendees ranging from C-level executives, managers and IT professionals responsible for IT asset management. As a platinum sponsor for this 10th annual event, we were thrilled to see several hundred turn out for the Microsoft keynote session about technology trends and challenges facing CIO s today.
Cloud computing is at the core of the top trends challenging customers today. Server virtualization, hybrid deployment and BYOD are cascading challenges that influence the way our customers consider and manage their IT assets.
Customers are interested in learning how to license virtualized servers more effectively, how to get the most mileage from the Client Access License (CAL), and how to secure and control devices operating in their environments.
The Volume Licensing, product and Software Asset Management teams have created valuable tools that are readily available to help:
- Customer training to deepen the understanding of Microsoft licensing for IT and procurement professionals. Courses are available cover Licensing Programs Fundamentals, Licensing the Private Cloud and Licensing Windows Server 2012.
- SAM services from a partner who holds a Gold SAM Competency can include customized consulting, tools and resources designed to help customers get the most from their software assets.
- Licensing that reflects the interconnection between products and is optimized for access, particularly in BYOD scenarios. We encourage customers to explore:
- CAL licensing that reflects an organization’s environment, including how devices and technologies are used and accessed.
- Enterprise Subscription Agreements that simplify licensing through a single company agreement.
- Evaluating the right option for Windows, including Remote Desktop, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and CSL licenses that reflect each customer’s unique environment.
- MAP Toolkits that automatically generate Software Usage Tracker reports to provider clear line-of-sight into server usage and provide a point of comparison for CALs purchased.
We are committed to helping our customers confront these trends and succeed in maximizing the value of the volume licenses they have. Stay tuned to the VL Blog, follow @Msft_VL on Twitter for news and updates. As always, we welcome your questions in the comments below or via Twitter.