Well its finally time! The MSI Utility has reached Microsoft Download, get downloading and if you have any issues or problems be sure to let us know on the forums!;
Hot Fix Roll Up 1 for SoftGrid App Virtualization 4.1 SP1 and 4.2 will be required for the MSI utility packages to work properly.
- SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Desktops, version 184.108.40.206 or later
- SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Desktops, version 220.127.116.11 or later
- SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Terminal Services, version 18.104.22.168 or later
The MSI Utility for Microsoft Application Virtualization is a new tool designed to extend virtual application deployment in certain key scenarios. In cases where a computer running Microsoft System Center Virtual Application Server is not available, the MSI Utility allows delivery of sequenced applications directly to Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Desktops and Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Terminal Services.
The MSI Utility enables the distribution of virtual applications without streaming. Instead, it uses Windows Installer to load and configure virtual applications. By leveraging this standard format, the MSI Utility achieves Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 and Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 platform version-agnostic distribution of virtual applications if supported by organizational Electronic Software Distribution (ESD) systems. As such, the MSI Utility is a stepping stone to the richer deployment options available in Microsoft System Center Virtual Application Server 4.5.
The MSI Utility extends application deployment methods to a broad range of ESD systems, including Systems Management Server 2003 and System Center Configuration Manager, as well as other methods such as network shares, removable disks, and memory keys. By using an ESD system to deploy virtualized application packages to disconnected SoftGrid Application Virtualization Desktop Clients, users can run virtualized applications without connecting to a computer running Microsoft System Center Virtual Application Server.
Feature Bullet Summary:
- Deployment of virtual applications via ESD systems
- Deployment of standalone virtual applications via network shares, removable disks, and memory keys
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows XP