Windows Mobile and Language Support

I’ve been traveling quite a bit lately and the one question I’ve gotten a lot in Asia and in Europe is around Language Support in Windows Mobile so I thought I’d attempt to address it.

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows Mobile doesn’t have a MUI or Multilingual User Interface on a single image that supports double bit characters (Chinese/Japanese) unless you get a device in a region that uses that double bit language.

The question that I get most often is, assuming I use an English language version of the operating system.

1. Can I input in a double bit based language like Chinese or Japanese?
  2. Can the system display and send and receive messages written in a double bit language?
  3. Can I change the regional settings to support another language?

Since the Standard and Professional versions of the OS differ I’ve covered their multi language support independency.

Windows Mobile Standard/Smartphone (Non Touch Screen)

1. Inputting in a double bit based language like Chinese or Japanese – Unfortunately you cannot without a 3rd party add-on like CEStar
  2. Reading double bit based language like Chinese or Japanese – Unfortunately you cannot without a 3rd party add-on like CEStar
  3. Changing the regional settings to support another language – Here we do have an answer, on Windows Mobile Standard devices you can go to Start -> Settings -> Regional Settings -> and Choose Language – The number of languages listed here will differ on different phones and won’t include double bit character languages in general.

Windows Mobile Professional (Touch Screen)

3. Changing the regional settings to support another language – Windows Mobile Professional device do have a regional Setting menu that lets your choose the Region.  It is located under Start -> Settings -> System -> Regional Settings.  Here you can choose a supported language but you will find that Chinese and Japanese are not on the list. In addition, a few have a custom rom image prompt when you hard reset the device, that asks you for the location and then installs regional language packs.

Solutions:

If you are looking for a phone to support English and double bit characters you have 2 choices.

1. You can purchase a regionalized phone.  They will come with the local language and English.   This can be difficult if you aren’t in the region however companies like Expansys can get you a regionalized device wherever you live.
  2. Purchase a 3rd party add ons like CEStar that will add the language support you need.

1. Anthony says:

My htc phone is in danish. I do not understand the language. I need help on how to change it to english language. My email is joyy201000@yahoo.com

2. Anthony says:

3. John Paul says:

my htc mobile is in French i do not understand the language i need help oh how to change to English language. my e-mail address is johnpaul_168@hotmail.com

4. Ivan Kitinov says:

I have a Garmin-Asus phone and the Windows Mobile OS 6.5.3 language is in German, but I need help on how to change the language to English. My e-mail address is as follows: ikitinov@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

5. mike big says:

i have the same problem with my phone  mallagetulio@hotmail.com

6. sam says:

my htc phone is danish please i need help … no.signal.love@live.ca

7. Tanu says:

I have a htc phone and the Windows Mobile language is in German, but I need help on how to change the language to English. My e-mail address is tanujay2002@yahoo.com

8. dolores emmanuel says:

my htc phone language is written in german,pls how can i change it to english

9. Trunks says:

Hy Emmanuel, i have the same problem like you. i have a HTC Touch Hd in german language and i want to change it into english. Can someone help me, please. my yahoo id is trunks_xxl

10. housam says:

i have a htc phone and the Windows Mobile language is in english, but I need help on how to change the language to arabic. My e-mail address is eidha@alj.com

11. zelloyd says:

bought HTC TyTN11 touch screen phone programmed in Swedish, but cannot understand it. How can I change this langauge to English. Through trial and error only managed to change date currency, time

12. hassan says:

I have also a windows phone in German Language, But I want to change its language German to English. But I am unable to do this process from Regional Settings also. Please tell me that how I can change Language German to English.  E-Mail:  mhm092@hotmail.com

13. mihaela says:

i have a htc tytn in dutch and i want to change the language  in english……please tell me how to do that at mymy_blonda1504@yahoo.com…thank you

14. Mario says:

I have also a windows phone in German Language, But I want to change its language German to English. But I am unable to do this process from Regional Settings also. Please tell me that how I can change Language German to English. I tried to flash it  by 1.33.110.2 software it didnt work since i have 1.33.111.2  version, can someone plz help?  E-Mail:  maniakto@hotmail.com

15. Rakshith says:

my htc phone language is written in german,pls how can i change it to english….E-Mail:rveera48@gmail.com

16. Bright says:

my windows phone (glofiish phone) is in german language how do i change to english? any help

mail: mrokofobright@gmail.com

17. Adela says:

My htc phone is in Greek. I need to change it to English. My email is adelajani@yahoo.com

18. cons says:

hi all

pls help my htc language is written in chinese how change it to english .

email   constatine_4@yahoo.com

19. window mobile says:

you must to download english language extender

20. amin says:

I have also a windows phone in German Language, But I want to change it's language German to English. But I am unable to do this process from Regional Settings also. Please tell me that how I can change Language German to English  Email: askari_amin1977@yahoo.com

21. SAMI says:

I have Htc touch 2 (win 6.5) with german language and I need to change german to engelish but I can't . Please help me to solve my problem  . diablo_tornado@yahoo.com

22. wagner says:

I have got a HTC HD Mini that has its language in chinese. Can someone help me on having all the icons etc in converted in English please?  wagner.vila@gmail.com

23. naren says:

I have Htc touch Diamond (win 6.1) with Dutch language and I need to change NDL to engelish but I can't . Please help me to solve my problem  PLZ. PLz. PLZ>naren1v@yahoo.com

24. Youssef says:

i've i-matePDA_N windwos 5.0 in spanish . i want to change the language of it. or upgrade that windows to 6.5 please someone help me coz i'm in real need to may PDA . youssefougoujil@hotmail.com

25. David says:

I have a htc tytn in spanish and i need help to change it to english. email me at djhurtado21@gmail.com

Thanks

26. Stoyan says:

I have HTC Touch Diamond 2 …. how i can to change the language of Spain to Bulgarian …. or Spain to English … please write to me … my mail is : zio_rs@yahoo.com

27. Olaniraniyi says:

I have Htc touch, with italian language and I need to change to english but I can't . Please help me out  . olaniraniyi@yahoo.com

28. masoomeh says:

I have Htc touch 2, with arabic  language and I need to change to english but I can't . Please help me out  . mim.golden1@gmail.com

29. sayeed says:

we are all dumbs bought phone with different language. Windows mobile operating system language can not be changed. At the time of purchasing you should have asked them for english one.

30. fatou secka says:

my HTC HD mini is in danish i want to change it to english. my email is babybojang@yahoo.com

31. jass says:

Hello my HTC touch color is in french i want to change it in english please help meeeeeeeeeee……My id is jassavtar@gmail.com thanks

32. njen22 says:

hello I have a HTC s711 its look like the s710 and its in Portuguese, Please help me set it in English Thank you.  my email is njen228@yahoo.com

33. Julius says:

i went my htc touch t3232 to english my email;donehiosumwen@yahoo.com

34. Desmond says:

i want to change my htc phone language to english and is on italian language,and i dont know how to change it.this is my e-mail id desrhyme@yahoo.com

35. Garry Trinder says:

Iwant to change my Samsung Omnia i900 phone language from english to Norwegian language,Please send me the solution.this is my e-mail id anna-gustin@live.co.uk

36. Hussain says:

Hello frnds I have htc p3300 in russian language, how could I change it into english can someone help me plz my ID is hussain.maqsood48@gmail.com

37. Marcus says:

I want to change my HTC TYTN ii phone language from french to polish language

Please send me the solution.this is my e-mail id marcus_pl@hotmail.fr

38. totti says:

hi every body i just buy htc x7510 IN FRANS LANGUAGE  and i don't understand this i want  change LANGUAGE to nederlands . can any body help me please becouse i have the phone only 1 month and  i can't use this  becouse i don't understand

my email is  dodg_5@hotmail.com

thanks  for every body read this  and  want help me

39. phopi says:

My htc phone is in swedish. I do not understand the language. I need help on how to change it to english language. My email is gemalynbueno@yahoo.com

40. ivan says:

My htc phone is in SPANISH. . I need help on how to change it to ITALIAN language.

my emai    cronacafree@alice.it

41. Ele says:

My htc phone is in danish. I do not understand the language. I need help on how to change it to english language. My email is djapolonas@gmail.com

42. I need help on how to change it to english language.

my email  raja4star@yahoo.com

43. Rana says:

plz tell me how can i change my htc dimond 2, dutch language into english..

my email is   rana_rizwan389@yahoo.com

44. Moderator says:

Is a simple answer.

The language can not be changed.

The OS language is fixed.

Windows Mobile does not support multilingual interface.

If you want a specific language, you must buy a phone with that specific language installed.

Theres no way to change the language, period.

45. shawn says:

i need to change my htc phone language from norwegian to english my email is shawnrusselbalo@yahoo.com

46. Shailendra says:

Hindi font not read& text plez sand bharti.shailendra89@hotmail.com

47. dhundup says:

i need to change my htc phone language from french to english and my email is dhun_tse110@hotmail.com

48. Anthony says:

i need to change my htc phone language from dutch to english and my email is llanetaanthonyc@yahoo.com

49. Anthony says:

i need to change my htc phone language from dutch to english my facebook account is llanetaanthonyc@yahoo.com

50. eno says:

i need to change my samsung omnia SGH-i900 phone language from dutch to english my account is capkeni001@hotmail.com plz help me

51. tgk says:

I guess it is impossible to change the language from russian to english  in windows mobile.I have this samsung shg-i710 and it is useless for me without the english language inteface.

52. king says:

My htc phone is in greek. I do not understand the language. I need help on how to change it to english language. My email is  (quarshie.king@yahoo.com)

53. Fare says:

Hello my htc is in german. I need help on how to change it to english language. My e-mail is fatmir_mahmutovic@hotmail.com

54. Nubian Papa says:

My htc tytn is in danish language can somebody help me to change language into english?

My email address is starplusser@gmail.com

55. Misbah says:

my htc mobile is in German i do not understand the language i need help oh how to change to English language.I am unable to do this process from Regional Settings also. Please tell me that how I can change Language German to English  my e-mail address is misbahforu@yahoomail.com

56. waheed says:

i have pb92100 german language . i want english language  i need help  how to chang english language

my emial id vs_a69@yahoo.com

57. George says:

i have a htc t8788 and i need to use greek language..now have english..george__1985@hotmail.com

58. ahmed eldeeb says:

My htc phone is in SPANISH. . I need help on how to change it to english or arbic language.

my emai    ahmed281992@hotmail.com

59. agboola abayomi says:

my htc phone TyTNII  language is written in German, pls how can i change it to English….E-Mail: write2bayo@yahoo.com

60. lamyn csay says:

my htc is in german language version and i want to change it to english. coolrulerj@yahoo.com

61. Ebrima Darboe says:

my htc is in german language version and i want to change it to english.

hsdarboe@yahoo.com

62. angel says:

Mi htc touch esta en noruego y no entiendo nada. por favor una ayuda para ponerlo en espanol o ingles.

gracias

macuero@gmail.com

63. Dj gamamtox says:

my email is gamatoxdj@gmail.com

64. Sarah Mocke says:

my htc touch is in portuguese can someone help I want to change to English my email is saracamara@live.com

65. buba says:

my htc touch is in french can some one help i want english

email:bobsisay@gmail.com

66. rope says:

my htc mobile is in German i do not understand the language i need help oh how to change to English language.my e-mail : ropemafija@gmail.com

67. Help htc language says:

Hi

my htc mobile is inFrench i do not understand the language i need help to change to English language.my e-mail : leveau.stephane@gmail.com . Thanks

my nokia mobile is inFrench i do not understand the language i need help to change to English language.my e-mail : vlio_kn@mail.bg . Thanks

70. shamim hanifa says:

hi i have htc hd mini and its in german i would like to change it to english…please help my email is hanifashamim@yahoo.com…thanks in advance

71. shamim hanifa says:

72. Adela says:

I have htc window 8 phone it displays in chinese language,how can i change it to english plz help.my email is japhetadela@yahoo.com

73. Gregory says:

tengo un dell venue pro 7.5 en ingles y no me permite cambiarlo al español (display language) que puedo hacer para revertir eso?

74. Gregory says:

tengo un dell venue pro 7.5 y no me permite cambiarlo del idioma ingles (display language) que puede hacer para revertir eso?

75. james says:

I have a htc phone and the Windows Mobile language is in
    German, but I need help on how to change the language to
    English. My e-mail address is yawsonbenson@gmail.com

76. David says:

Jul 2010 9:25 PM
    My htc phone is in dutch. I do not understand the language. I need help on how to change it to english language. My email is mountzion55@yahoo.com

77. Abel says:

i have a htc t8788 and i need to use frensh display language..now have english

78. Abel says:

i have a htc t8788 and i need to use frensh language display…now have english
    my email: divine_comedie7@hotmail.com

79. Rid says:

This phone sucks so difficult to change its language

80. pawel says:

I’ve got HTC P5520 in German language and I need to change to Polish.
    My email: p_michalczuk@o2.pl

81. sanle says:

my htc windows mobile 6.1 has the english language and i need to change to french.
    please help thanks. legeniesa@gmail.com