As a business moves through a program of change, strategic decisions are often required to ensure that business objectives are met.
To facilitate effective decision making throughout the program lifecycle, a Microsoft Enterprise Architect conducts the Program Governance, Risk, and Compliance Management Service. This service is a part of the Value Realization Framework, introduced in our earlier post Welcome to the Value Realization Team’s Blog.
Overview of the Program Governance, Risk, and Compliance Management Service
The Program Governance, Risk and Compliance Management service develops Governance, Risk, and Compliance plans to support effective decision making throughout the program lifecycle. The service provides program oversight and status reporting to governance teams within the enterprise, such as steering committees and review boards.
The Program Governance, Risk, and Compliance Management Service:
- Helps ensure the program of change has clear decision rights assigned to specific stakeholders and clear escalation processes.
- Helps ensure audits are performed to drive regulatory and/or corporate policies.
- Promotes effective overall management of program risk.
While performing the service, a Microsoft Architect and team work with the enterprise executives, stakeholders, steering committees, and governance/review boards. The service includes activities for:
- Fostering agreement between the sponsors and program managers to establish the necessary oversight required for the program, including architecture, adoption, risk management, compliance, and so on.
- Providing oversight of the Microsoft elements of the program and participating in the overall oversight.
- Escalating any delivery issues threatening expected value delivery or other key aspects of the program.
- Fully documenting achievements.
The Program Governance, Risk, and Compliance Management service creates effective oversight for a program of change, with appropriate mitigations for risk.
- Audits to ensure compliance with policies and regulations.
- Program Status Reports. Highlight program successes, challenges and risks while carrying out the program.
- Architecture Compliance Report. Summary of the solution adherence to the principles, decisions, standards, and transition states as outlined in the Architecture Definition document.
- Modified Program Plan. Reflects changes in business strategy, program/project sequencing or resource allocation as a result of the Program Governance, Risk, and Compliance Management Service.
- Modified Architecture Definition. Reflects changes in recommended architecture that the enterprise IT governance board will review.
What’s the Value of Doing This?
A Microsoft Architect helps scope and optimize governance, risk, and compliance actions for a specific program of change. A business obtains:
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance management optimized and targeted for the business case for the program of change
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance management in the context of Microsoft technology
- Governance of the Service Delivery Lifecycle
How Do We Achieve Value?
To perform the service, an Enterprise Architect works closely with stakeholders throughout a business, using methods for ensuring that technology decisions fully contribute to the value expected from initiatives.
- We validate Governance, Risk, and Compliance management capabilities. We determine whether a business will have challenges planning or carrying out the necessary Governance, Risk, and Compliance management for the program.
- We implement governance structures, assisting a business in establishing the necessary oversight required for the program.
- We manage program risk by helping understand program risk context, identify risks, analyze and quantify risks, prioritize risks, mitigate risks, and monitor risks.
- We facilitate program compliance and audit reporting, assisting a business with the oversight and execution of the program Compliance Plan.
- We monitor the program/project execution and facilitate program status reporting.
- We monitor architecture transformation and facilitate architecture compliance reporting.
- We facilitate Steering Group review and intervention. We assist the business with periodic reviews of the program by the Steering Group and recommend necessary intervention and course correction.
You Might Also Like
- Welcome to the Value Realization Team Blog!
- Value Discovery Consulting Service
- Enterprise Agreement Value Roadmap Consulting Service
- Portfolio Optimization Consulting Service
- Architecture Options and Recommendations Consulting Service
- Value Planning Consulting Service
- Introducing the Business Case Development Consulting Service
- Introducing the Value Management Consulting Service
- Introducing the Adoption and Change Management Consulting Service