So you have been selling Office 365 through our Advisor Program for some time, but you have heard about the recent addition of Office 365 as SKUs in the Open License Program available through distribution. One question that may come to mind is how do I move a tenant (customer) from one sales model to the other? The first question you need to ask yourself is why move from the advisor model to the open model.
First, Microsoft does not advocate moving a customer from one pay model to another without a clear reason that benefits the customer or your relationship with them. It makes no sense to open door to even the slightest customer satisfaction issues without having a goal in mind.
I will discuss the process of how to move below, but I first want to highlight a few examples of what I consider adequate reasons to go about the move.
1.) Your customer prefers to purchase and pay for Microsoft technologies in the way they traditionally have (up front and for a year or two –Open license). There may be a compelling reason to avoid the “pay-as-you-go” model of direct purchase/advisor such a grant money that needs to be spent such as the case in a grant.
2.) You are arranging financing through a third party and want to aggregate the total solution into one invoice
3.) You provide managed services and your business model works well by providing one collective monthly fee for all solutions and services you provide to the customer (hidden in a single bill), and your customer is comfortable or familiar with this approach.
Whatever the reason, make certain it is of mutual benefit. Additioanally, make certain that Office 365 Open SKUs will work well for your customer as the flexibility is not the same (no upgrades or returns during the middle of a subscription without jeopardizing the investment. For any questions here, please reach out to the Microsoft team at your distributor of choice.
Steps to moving over Advisor Model from Open ( if not partner of record have customer add us)
1. Customer has agreed to move from the Advisor Model
2. Place the order with an Authorized Distributor
3. Once the Key is obtained go to office.com/setup365
4. Sign in to the existing subscription. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU MAKE CERTAIN YOU ARE LOGGED INTO THE CORRECT SUBSCRIPTION. AS A PARTNER YOU COULD INADVERTANTLY APPLY A KEY TO ANOTHER CUSTOMER TENANT OR YOUR OWN IUR TENANT. THERE IS NO WARNING DIALOGUE! a BEST PRACTICE IS TO START A NEW IN-PRIVATE BROWSING SESSION AND FORCE THE PASSING OF CREDENTIALS TO THE APPROPRIATE TENANT.
4. Once the new key has been successfully added, call office 365 billing and cancel the advisor model license- 866-676-6546. This is vital as you would have two active licenses simultaneously otherwise. The Partner number is 800-676-7658, option: cloud services
5. Supply them with office 365 domain name and tell them they want to cancel advisor model licenses, no 30% cancelation fee as you purchased through open
6. Run the powershell tool to assign the users the new licenses, each user will be unassigned- you would download it and run it- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835506(v=vs.85).aspx. See also License Office 365 users using PowerShell
Note: Some distributors will offer the value added service of running the powershell script for you if you purchase the Office 365 Open licenses through them and provide delegated admin capabilities. Ask for the Microsoft Cloud Specialist.