How do I get the All Apps View in Windows 8.1?

rwagg-white small

Rob Waggoner

Q:  When I swipe up from the bottom of the Start Screen, I don’t get the All Apps View,  I get the Customize View.  How can I access the App Apps View in Windows 8.1?

A:  In Windows 8.1, like Windows 8, the traditional “swipe from the bottom of the screen” still gives you the Customize View choice.  You also get the Customize View when you right click on the Start Screen.  Think of the swipe from the bottom as the Right Click without the mouse.    To access the All Apps View you start your swipe in the center of the screen (as opposed to the bottom of the screen) and swipe up.  From the All Apps View, you can get get back to the start screen by swiping down.

Until next time,

1. brad says:

THANK YOU!!! This was driving me CRAZY!!!

2. james says:

Wow Man you are a freaking genius. As Brad said I was going nuts figuring out why it was not working. Thanks for your help.

P.S: I just downloaded Windows 8.1 update. It looks great.

3. ryan says:

That wasn't working for me on desktop, but I did notice a small arrow pointing upward under the far left column in the metro home screen, clicking that arrow took me to the previous "All Apps" view.

4. phenry says:

AAAAHHHHHH Thank you so much!!!!  It was staring to DRIVE ME NUTS!  Well, until I found your blog.  Thanks.

5. lisa says:

This does not work for me! It is driving me 1" bar. I am so frustrated. Been trying to get it to work for 2 hours so far!

6. Brian says:

I'm using a mouse no touch screen doesn't work.

7. Brian says:

Four mouse users without a touch screen: Hover mouse over lower LHS of screen (square icons desktop view whatever its called!), click on the vertical arrow button that appears.…/hands-windows-81-apps-view

8. Apple needs to send Microsoft a Thank You Card... says:

This is the dumbest thing I have every seen.  I'm selling my brand new Lenovo Yoga and converting to Mac.

I've had it.  This is the worst OS I have ever used.

This was very helpful, thanks

ultimate…. Thanks a lot!!!

11. m says:

Thanks for the info.

” converting to Mac.”

It’s sad to see how desperate the Apple trolls are with their made up stories. “Everyone will switch to Mac, Windows 8 will be a failure” they claimed, then in just 6 months the Windows 8 userbase rivalled that of every version of Mac OS out there.

Because it’s not like Apple’s OSs use icons, complex multitouch gestures, or swipes – oh wait. If you’re going to troll, at least try to make some coherent argument.

12. m says:

For mouse users, simply move the mouse towards the bottom left of the start screen, and click the down arrow that appears.

13. Windows 8 "User@ says:

Its just awful… give me windows 7. I have a desktop, I want it to be a desktop. and hell no I don’t want to pay a grand for a mac who can’t figure out maximizing windows properly. Give me windows 7 with an app store and fast boot up that’s all!

14. robert lafleur says:

I was going crazy trying to get the “all apps” to appear, I was only getting “costomize”,

thanks to you and all those people putting these “tricks” available to us…

15. Juthika says:

Hahahah… Thanks! Now why didn’t I think of that? 😉

16. Doligaf says:

Windows 8.anything, what a garbage operating system

17. Steven Monrad says:

Too bad they make it so hard to know what to do to your screen, touch or mouse.

18. amal ref says:

thank you very much..

19. David Cushing says:

Why do you assume everyone has a swipe screen. There are people who only have a mouse. Your advise is worthless.

20. Bevin says:

Anyone tearing his hair out over the godawful Windows 8 and 8.1 user interface need not despair.

No need to install Windows 7. Even less need to convert to Mac.
    Just install Classic Shell, a donationware app that makes Windows 8.1 look like Windows 7.

Takes only a minute and you’re good to go.
    I’ve done it to my new Windows 8.1 notebook and it now works exactly the way my Windows 7 desktop works.

21. Bert' says:

thanks for the instructions – my computer automatically downloaded 8.1 and I could no figure out how to get the "all apps" back. it’s "all good" now!

22. Twannie says:

Windows Key + Z

23. JohnTheAccountant says:

Thank you, I use a mouse and needed to uninstall an App that was a pest. The original advice did not work with the mouse but contributor m said hover over the corner and click the arrow. That is right BUT you gotta be on the Apps screen. So first click
    the windows icon on lower left of the screen, wella, the apps appear. Thank you again, glad to have found your page.

24. JohnTheAccountant says:

PS – I use windows 8.1 on a laptop my desk with a 23" screen and a mouse. In other words it serves like a desktop. I work in many offices every day and desktops are not dead. It is just another tech venue. If the operating system developers think I or
    other desktop users are going to reach up and touch a screen they are out of their minds. Thank you,

25. Sarah. Canty says:

I can not retrieve all my apps, Please help me,