Now available for download from the connect site is the beta of the next version of Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.
What’s new in Security Essentials 2.0 Beta:
– Windows Firewall integration – Microsoft Security Essentials will ask if you would like to turn the Windows Firewall on or off during installation.
– Enhanced protection while browsing the Internet – Microsoft Security Essentials now integrates with Internet Explorer to provide additional protection against web-based threats.
– New protection engine – The updated, based on Forefront, anti-malware engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities with better performance.
– Network inspection system – Protection against network-based exploits.
Click here to visit the Microsoft Connect page to register for the Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 beta.
Looking for a comparison to other Anti-Virus Software, this is based on the current version 1.0
AV-Test Product Review and Certification Report – 2010/Q2
During the 2nd quarter of 2010 we have tested 19 security products in the areas protection, repair and usability. The "Protection" covers static and dynamic malware detection, including real-world 0-Day attack testing. In case of "Repair", we check the system disinfection and rootkit removal in detail. The "Usability" testing includes the system slow-down caused by the tools and the number of false positives. A product has to reach at least 12 points total in order to receive a certification. 13 products have fulfilled our requirements and received an AV-Test certificate.
The test reports can be found here: – http://www.av-test.org/certifications
Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials
Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 140 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7.
Not familiar with Security Essentials – Check out my previous post at http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2010/08/30/microsoft-security-essentials.aspx.