Next USMT release

I wanted to take a moment here on the blog to let everyone know that we are continuing to invest in USMT and have aligned the next USMT release to coincide with the next release of Windows.  Please be assured that all of you will be the first to know when we have more information to share with you.

I’m looking for information on USMT version 4. Like where can I find tips and tricks?

I’m backing up Windows XP workstations and restoring the user state data to a windows 7 device.

My current challenge is restoring my printer and network drive maps. Has anyone else successfully done this?

Additional information on USMT version 4 can be found…

WAIK (including USMT 4) documentation:

USMT 4.0 TechNet Reference:

Thanks

Samohtrelhe, I love your GUI – and your resource page is very helpful..

I’m going in a different direction at my work.  I’m hoping to run command line, triggered through SMS packages:  Seperate Loadstate and Scanstate packages that we can push to old PC’s and their replacements.

I have a question. I downloaded and I’m testing the USMT 4 version. Is this version a final release? Is it a Release Candidate? I’m asking because I like it, I think it’s better than the 3.0 version and I want to use in my production environment here in my Company in a couple of weeks.

I developed a GUI that asks some questions for the user and, in the end, it runs the upload or the download part of USMT making it very user friendly and with the possibility to schedule it to any time later. I used WISE (a package scripting language) because I work with SMS/SCCM. I would like to develop it in visual basic 2008, but, I need some help with the language. I want to join my knowledge on "packaging" USMT with any other person who knows the language. Do you know someone who can help me with this?

Thanks for this usefull information !!!!

Does the hardlink feature actually move the data away?

If not how is it worth while since 90-some % of the Win7 installations are going to be on Computers running XP??

If running USMT4 /Hardlink doesn’t MOVE the data it will be lost when the partition is wiped.

And It will be since Win7 cannot upgrade XP…

Regards

Samoht Relhe

When will the USMT4 beta code be available for testing?

Where can I get USMT 4.0????? I’ve downloaded MDT 2010 but it includes USMT 3.01 not 4.0. I’ve searched everywhere and everyone talks about 4.0 but I can’t find where to get it.

Thanks.

Will there be any more new content on this blog about USMT?  Is there another blog to go to about USMT?

Thanks!

USMT 4.0 creates USMT.MIG file for the profiles which was USMT3.MIG for USMT 3.0.1

Are there any changes in the MIG file format from 3.0 to 4.0? The reason I want to know this is, would it be possible to deploy a MIG file using USMT 4.0 which was created using USMT 3.0.1 just by changing the name from USMT3.MIG to USMT.MIG?

I am using USMT 4 and trying to run scanstate on an XP machine from a file server and kept getting the following:

Script file not present: ‘C:WINNTMIGAPP.XML’

Failed.

An error occurred processing the command line.

Unable to find a script file specified by /i

ScanState return code: 28

I looked up the error and it says:

Verify the location of your script files, and ensure that the command-line options are correct.

I had used a similar script for USMT 301 and it works and not if I need to add the path or something.  If I use /auto it works but have a custom XML to gather the user’s network printers and would like to keep that in there.  Any help will be appreciated.

Now that W7 is in full RC, When will we hear more about the USMT 4.0 HardLinks. A basic walkthrough with MDT would be much apprecitated and acticipated. Now that 7 will RTM in a few months, moving from XP is inevitable.

New to USMT , so all I get is a whole lot of information, like Microsoft Deployment, and little directions like steps 1.2 & 3 …..

Maybe I’ll post someting soon .

What about a proper GUI ?

USMT certanly is NOT the easiest proggie to use!

Can’t be much trouble for a maor company like MS??

I for one has tried to build one that, according to the amount of downloads, seems to be working quite well, but its rudimentory and don’t have proper GUI’s for all the XML settings etc. (Took me a couple of weeks in my spare time though).

Another question:

Does USMT migrate the metadata of files?

A few problems I’ve found with the Offline capture:

1. /ue:* excludes all users, not just local accounts.

2. /ue:** also excludes all users

3. /ue:<computername>* does exclude all local accounts only.

4. I don’t have any success excluding all accounts with a specific character using /ue:**-* or /ue:*-*. This worked in online scanstate captures for USMT3, but does not work for the offline capture.

5. In the migdocs.xml, I had to use a new exclude section for any patterns I wanted to add. For some reason they were ignored if I appended them to the exclude section in the template.

samohtrelhe:

Check out this how to:

Basically you install Windows 7 on the same drive as XP. XP goes to Windows.old. You then use the offline Windows installation support in USMT 4 to restore the data.

Is it too late to request a viewer to browse contents of the mig files, like Ghostviewer does for ghost?

Just an idea to speed things up, can you have the next version utilize the desktop search cache in order to pick up most of the qualified files? Maybe even have it work with Google’s desktop search cache as well for users that prefer that.

18. USTM 5.0 for Mirgration Office 2010 Settings says:

Hi

Can anybod say me, when we have a new Version from USTM for Migration actually Office 2010 Settins. Becaus i make with the USTM Tool a Backup from all Outlook Settings for a  User Desaster Recovery. Outlook is for us without this Mecanisme the most common manual Task.

Thanks for any Respons

19. Grant Kuhlmann says:

This blog looks like it has been quiet for a while.

Do you guys talk about using USMT in SCCM and MDT using Hardlink.  I have some issues where it fials to run USMT scanstate and other times the scanstate runs but fails to run the loadstate.  This isnt as bad because I can run the loadstate after the task sequence finishes.

20. Michael says:

Seriously, the most recent post is from 2008 and talks about continuing to invest in USMT? It’s not giving a good impression.