Disable Office 365 Groups Creation: Redux

Several months ago, I wrote a blog on Disabling Office 365 Groups.  It seems as though we couldn't leave well enough alone.  Such is a price of progress.

I got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and then found myself in the position of helping out a few colleagues this week.  One of the tasks for this particular customer was disabling Office 365 Groups.

No sweat. I've done this before. I even blogged about it.

I pulled up my blog page referencing the steps.

Pro tip: start a blog so you can have publicly searchable content that has all the steps you used to do  something. Also, it makes you seem smart.

At any rate, I start the process, and go to download the Azure Preview module like my post recommends, only to find that we've changed that part, too.  I'm now at the customer with a new laptop and I don't have access to the tools to complete the job.  So, what do I do?

just fuggedaboutit

No, I blog about it.

Without further ado, here's the cheat sheet for the new cmdlets, where to download the module, and how to be a rockstar in general.

1. If you don't have Windows 10, go to the PowerShellGallery and download PowerShellGet.
  2. Launch an elevated Windows PowerShell console.
  3. Get the Azure Active Directory V2 Preview module (details are available here about it, but guess what--there's nothing to download there) by running this:
    Install-Module -Name AzureADPreview
  4. Then, replace the original *msolsetting* with *AzureADSetting* cmdlets (oh, and connect to MSOL, Azure, and Exchange Online PowerShell sessions to complete the tasks).

The following script will:

• Connect to Microsoft Online Service
  • Connect to the Azure AD endpoint
  • Connect to Exchange Online
  • Specify Global Admins as the group that can create Unified Groups (Office 365 Groups)
  • Disable the Groups Creation in OWA
Import-Module MSOnline
$UserCredential = Get-Credential
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $Session
Connect-AzureAD -Credential $UserCredential
Connect-MsolService -Credential $UserCredential
$GlobalAdmins = Get-MsolRole -RoleName "Company Administrator"
$GlobalAdminsObjectID = $GlobalAdmins.ObjectId.ToString()
$template = Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate | where-object {$_.DisplayName -eq "Group.Unified"}
$setting = $template.CreateDirectorySetting()
$setting["EnableGroupCreation"] = "false"
$setting["GroupCreationAllowedGroupId"] = $GlobalAdminsObjectID
New-AzureADDirectorySetting -DirectorySetting $setting

If you've already created a directory setting and you want to update it, you can use:

Get-AzureADDirectorySetting | Set-AzureADDirectorySetting -DirectorySetting $setting

Until it changes next time.

1. turbomcp says:

Thanks
    you really do seem smart with that blog:)
    maybe you are?:)

2. Luca Fabbri says:

Hello.
    Thank you for your helpful post.
    I’m using AzureADPreview v2.0.0.44 and it doesn’t containt the CreateDirectorySetting”s”() but CreateDirectorySetting().
    AzureADPreview module is used, so I suggest to add the “Import-Module AzureADPreview” cmdlet; otherwise the “AzureAD” module will be used and some cmdlets are not available.

Bye,
    Luca

1. Yes, thank you. I corrected the script on the page.

3. Patrick says:

Hi,
    something else has changed since your first post… Microsoft published its owns guide:
    🙂

1. It’s actually a very similar set of steps. 🙂 I just went through this in a commercial tenant last week, so I can verify that it is still valid. You can use the New-AzureGroup cmdlet to create a new group instead of using the Get-MsolRole cmdlet to choose the Global Admins group. The net result is the same.

1. Mike Crowley says:

Patrick’s link doesn’t talk about setting the OWA policy. Is this still required?

1. I don’t know if it’s technically required if you disable the group creation, but I do it anyway so that users will get a dialog error if they try to. 🙂

2. Blake says:

Based on my testing today, the OWA policy does NOT have to be modified. After following the Microsoft article, I logged into OWA and clicked *New* group and I received the following message: “Sorry, the ability to create groups has been turned off by the person who manages your email.” When I say “clicked New” New was in green text next to “groups”. I only get “discover” when I right-click groups in OWA. I also followed the following guide previously FWIW: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2580991/how-to-prevent-users-from-creating-and-managing-distribution-groups-in

“GroupCreationEnabled” is still set to true.

4. Knut Helberg says:

Can Microsoft Teams in O365 work when GroupCreation is diabled?

1. No, since Teams relies on the creation of a group for storage.

1. Chris says:

Hello,

Thanks for this blog, one thing, how to turn back and allow all users to create groups again ???

Thanks

1. You should be able to re-run the steps, replacing

$setting[“EnableGroupCreation”] = “false”
          with
          $setting[“EnableGroupCreation”] = “true”

And then

instead of New-AzureADDirectorySetting (because you’ve already set it)

5. Luca Fabbri says:

Thanks.
    Questions: Is it possible to allow more than one group (“Global Admins” and custom O365 security group) to create O365 Groups ?

1. Unfortunately, no. The object type is a System.Guid, so you can’t put more than one value there. I’d recommend creating a new group (like a mail-enabled security group) and including all of the people allowed in that group.

6. David says:

If you disable the permissions to create these groups, will that render any existing groups unusable? Will they stop receiving email?

1. No. Existing groups will continue to work.

7. David B1 says:

I can’t for the life of me get this working. I have a windows 10 1703 machine. I try to run install-module -Name AzureAdPreview and it says that the following commands are already available on this system and doesn’t install.

So then I try to run your script and it fails on get-azureaddirectorysettingtemplate and the following commands. What am I doing wrong? How do I run this on Windows 10?

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $template = Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate | where-object {$_.DisplayName -eq “Group.Unified”}
    Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate : The term ‘Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and
    try again.
    At line:1 char:13
    + $template = Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate | where-object {$_.Di …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-AzureADDirectorySettingTemplate:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $setting = $template.CreateDirectorySetting()
    You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At line:1 char:1
    + $setting = $template.CreateDirectorySetting()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $setting[“EnableGroupCreation”] = “false”
    Cannot index into a null array.
    At line:1 char:1
    + $setting[“EnableGroupCreation”] = “false”
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $setting[“GroupCreationAllowedGroupId”] = $GlobalAdminsObjectID
    Cannot index into a null array.
    At line:1 char:1
    + $setting[“GroupCreationAllowedGroupId”] = $GlobalAdminsObjectID
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> New-AzureADDirectorySetting -DirectorySetting $setting
    New-AzureADDirectorySetting : The term ‘New-AzureADDirectorySetting’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-AzureADDirectorySetting -DirectorySetting $setting
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (New-AzureADDirectorySetting:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | ? { $_.IsDefault -eq $true } | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -GroupCreationEnabled $false

1. David B1 says:

I was able to figure it out. I had to uninstall-azuread first.

8. Ron says:

I get this warning, “WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of ‘OwaMailboxPolicy-Default’ have been modified.”

Not sure what to do.

1. It means that the setting was already in place (to disable group creation in OWA).