Sideloading is the process of installing a Line of Business (LoB) app onto a Windows RT or Windows 8 device without the need to publish the app to the Windows Store. System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 is able to publish apps for sideloading on Windows 8 Enterprise devices natively and can use Windows Intune to publish apps for sideloading to Windows RT devices. In the following video I show you how to sideload in just this way.
This video is broken down into just two parts:
- The IT Pro experience inside configuration manager [00:33]
- Ensuring the prerequisites (code signing certificate and Sideloading Keys are published to Windows Intune from Configuration Manager) [00:45]
- Create the app in Configuration Manager, including dependencies [02:11]
- Deploy the app to our users collection and to the manage.microsoft.com cloud distribution point [03:20]
- The end user experience [06:14]
- Enrolling a Windows RT device (Microsoft Surface RT) into our Windows Intune account [06:16]
- Installing the sideloaded app from the company portal [08:30]
If you want to give this a try, download the Windows Server 2012 Evaluation and System Center Evaluation, then give part 003 a view to help you connect Configuration Manager to Windows Intune. If you find the video helpful please “like” it on YouTube.