Lync2013/Skype4B: Active Directory contact is changed to the phone number in the contact list

On 14th July 2015, a new Lync2013/Skype4B client update was released (KB3054946 – 15.0.4737.1001). We were eager to see it released, especially because it includes the following fix:

Active Directory contact’s name is changed to the phone number in the contact list of Skype for Business or Lync 2013
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3072753

Most users didn’t notice it because this only affects AD Contacts without sip address or email address.

To explain this let’s think in the following scenario: the company Gears has 3 receptions. They are located in the same site and they aren’t Lync/Skype4B enabled. The receptions only have one telephone connected to a traditional PBX and we add them as contacts in AD, so that they are searchable in Lync/Skype4B.

In Lync2013/Skype4B, we add these receptions to our contact list:

Now we need to sign off and sign in again. After this, the Display Name is replaced with the contact Phone Number:

If we don’t know the exact telephone number, we won’t be able to tell which of the results we need to call.

For the Lync2013/Skype4B client with the July 2015 update, we have the same behaviour as in the Lync 2010 client: