Error when trying to install Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell

Error: “In order to install Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell, you must have Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant version 7.0 or greater installed on this computer.”

image

Install the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals BETA using this link.
Now install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell again, you should be good to go!

image

Note: make sure to enable .NET Framework 3.5 using “Turn Windows Features On or Off” or you might run into another error.

Consider leaving a reply in case this post helped you. Thanks!

1. Dave M2 says:

This worked for me.  I found it incredibly frustrating that I was trying to install the Azure active directory module that it said I needed this Online Services Assistant.  Fine with me.  But after installing exactly what MS asks for, I still can't install the Azue AD module.  This got me to install it.  Nice job MS.

2. Dennis S says:

Thanks mate. Worked like a charm!

3. khalid says:

This worked for me. Thanks!!

4. Werner H. says:

Thank you very much! Was searching for a long time for a solution… Worked for me perfect…

5. jon says:

Doesn’t work. 3.5 is already enabled.

6. Hi every body.
    1. you must add feature (Windows Powershell Engine 2.0)
    2. Install Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant
    3. and finally, intall Windows Azure active directory module for powershell

regards

7. colin says:

I have .NET 3.5 and Powershell Engine 2.0 installed and this still wont install.., I’m running Windows 8.1

8. colin says:

Also installed the Windows Azure active directory module for powershell, and still won’t install…

9. Erik says:

Same problem here, on 8.1 it keeps nagging about powershell 2.0 and now i’am wasting more time on this than it would take me to write the script I need it for. Kutzooi.

10. Erik again says:

OK, figured it out… Allthough I am a local admin on the system, double-clicking the MSI resulted in the error bout needing powershell 2.0, even when enabled in programs and features.

So I launched an administrative command prompt and ran msiexec /i AdministrationConfig-EN.msi

Now it installed. The registry keys indicationf Powershell 2.0 enabled are probably only readable when elevated.

Pingback from Unable to Install Windows Azure Active Directory Module – Powershell – Windows Azure Blog

13. Peter says:

Thankyou Erik Worked your msiexec /i AdministrationConfig-EN.msi running from the command prompt as an administrator worked for me.

14. Bob Hyatt says:

I had to install the beta version of the sign-in assistant before the azure module would install.

18 months since the original post here, and Microsoft still hasn’t released a working production version of the sign in assistant? Ridiculous.

15. Nat G says:

It was the .Net 3.5 that gave me the problem – many thanks for the tip.

My role has previously primarily focused on Microsoft Intune, nowadays it’s more towards our whole Enterprise

17. Anthony E. says:

Worked like a charm.. you rock.

18. Balal says:

I have already .Net 3.5 under windows features , i installed Sign in 7.2 but still getting same issue ? anyone have idea ?

19. Balal I’m seeing the same problem with the 7.2 sign in client. Did you ever resolve your problem?

20. rebecca says:

It worked ! Thank you

21. mike says:

30 months after this original post and I still had to use the beta version of sign-in assistant because the production version doesn’t work

22. Eric says:

I had to do the same Mike. No mater what I tried I couldn’t get it to install until I installed the beta version.

23. jim says:

Thanks Darren! That’s what finally solved it for me.

24. Venkatesh Rao says:

Thanks for the Suggestion, specially on Win 10, this link does the magic and it worked for me