In order to benefit from R2 enhancements, it’s recommended to upgrade your ConfigMgr SP1 installation . Follow these steps minimize problems:
- Double check you are currently running ConfigMgr SP1, the CU update level is not relevant.
- Backup your current SQL database(s)
- Disable antivirus on your ConfigMgr server (Forefront Endpoint Protection can be left enabled)
- Uninstall the current ADK tools (version 8.59.225584)
- Install the following components from the 8.1 ADK
- User State Migration Tool (USMT)
- Windows Deployment Tools
- Windows PreInstallation Environment (Windows PE)
- Run “SMSSETUP\BIN\X64\prereqchk.exe”
Make sure to remediate any issue found.
Start setup and follow the wizard:
Follow the wizard for the remaining dialogs:
- Enter a serial, this can also be done afterwards
- Accept the license terms
- Choose to download the required files (you can not use the previously downloaded for SP1)
- If desired, select any extra languages
- Resolve any potential issues listed during the pre-req test
- Do not close setup until ALL blue actions are listed as green - even if the core setup is done and the close button becomes active!
Installation is likely to take somewhere around 30 minutes, we have seen 1,5 hours on very old hardware.