For a detailed look at understanding planning solutions using Office 2010, SharePoint Server 2010 and SQL 2008 R2, check out this white paper, “Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting for the Office of Finance: Understanding Planning Solutions and Scenarios with Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2“. Many companies still rely heavily on spreadsheets to create and collect data specific to their daily function, but with no central data repository to plug into. This white paper provides direction and samples for developing a business intelligence solution with planning, budgeting and forecasting capabilities for Finance, HR, and other departments within an organization.
The solution is architected to enable planning functions that include write-back capabilities to SQL Server Analysis Services cubes, SharePoint lists and relational database. It also demonstrates how the Microsoft platform can be used in developing financial calculations and business rules to link forms and reports data through Microsoft Office Excel 2010.
This paper also includes samples and instructions on:
- A centralized data model usingSQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services.
- Form and report authoring using Microsoft Office Excel 2010 and PivotTables.
- Data entry and What-If analysis using Excel 2010 PivotTables.
- Dimensional data modeling using PowerPivot for Excel 2010.
- Online document storage and collaboration with security and workflow for forms and reports using SharePoint Server 2010.