John Martin's Blog recently announced the Social Bookmarking Preview, "so that technical professionals can better connect with each other, share knowledge, and succeed." Remains to be seen how IT Pros will respond to this, but the new features include:
- Subscribe to Tags or People: Find a tag you want to follow? Or a fellow bookmarker that bookmarks really good stuff? With the new app, it will be easy to get an RSS subscription for that tag or person (as in, click the orange button).
- Browse & Find Users: Search or browse to find people by their display name (e.g., mine is "johmar") and other criteria.
- Import Tools: Recognizing that a lot of people already have favorites saved in their browsers or in other social bookmarking sites, the new app will provide a tool for importing your favorites from Microsoft Internet Explorer and from Delicious.
- Bookmarking Widget: If you have your own blog or other website, our new bookmarking widget will make it easy for people to bookmark your pages directly to their social bookmarks on MSDN, TechNet, or Expression. You'll get traffic from Microsoft when your bookmarked page is published in "social feeds" on our global sites.
- Availability in 12 Languages: With the September release, the social bookmarking application will be available in Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
One example; here's the feed for my tags on Hyper-V: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/bookmarks/en-US/user/tonysoper/#sort=recent&page=0&filter=public&tags=hyperv
And here's the all-up feed of my tags: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/bookmarks/en-US/user/tonysoper/#sort=recent&page=0&filter=public
You can learn more and leave feedback in the Social Bookmarks Discussion Forum.
And there is an interesting background buzz app at http://ticker.microsoftcommunities.com/