The beta of the next version of VMM (SCVMM 2008), which includes support for Hyper-V, and requires the RC version of Hyper-V, is available today on http://www.connect.microsoft.com/ (requires Windows LiveID sign in and beta program participation).
New stuff includes:
- Supports WS2K8 RC version of Hyper-V VMs, including remotely enabling the Hyper-V role on your WS2K8 hosts, and clustering support.
- Multi-vendor support, like VMware (inlcuding VMotion)
- VMM 2008 specific features such as Intelligent Placement, consolidation candidate recommendations and others can be run against virtualized infrastructure on any supported platform.
- Windows PowerShell™ scripts for customization or automation are also supported across Hyper-V, VMware ESX or Virtual Server implementations.
- Better Perf through the new Performance and Resource Optimization (PRO) feature that dynamically responds to failure scenarios or poorly configured components that are identified in hardware, operating systems or applications.
- HA – Host cluster support. Clicks a checkbox which designates a VM as highly available, and behind the scenes, VMM orchestrates the creation of that HA VA which includes instructing the Intelligent Placement feature of VMM 2008 to recommend only hosts that are part of a host cluster for the newly minted HA VM.