Our first month’s metrics about visitors to the VMM Technical Library worried the PTB, so they asked me to cruft up an alternate nav scheme. Here’s a list of what I anticipate will the top-most-visited areas of the library…
…notice the self-fulfulling part of the equation?
About Deploying VMM
- Getting Started – Locations of the resources for evaluating, deploying, and using VMM
- Installing Virtual Machine Manager – Procedures for installing all components of VMM
- Deploying VMM Using a VHD – Instructions for installing a pre-configured virtual hard disk (VHD), and use it to create a virtual machine that has a pre-installed evaluation version of System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2007.
About Configuring SCVMM
- Adding hosts – Provides an overview of adding hosts on trusted domains and perimeter networks.
- Adding library servers, library shares, and files to the VMM library – Describes how to add library servers, add library shares, add files to existing library shares, and perform library refreshes to index the resources on library shares.
- Configuring global settings for Virtual Machine Manager – Profiles the Settings node in the Administrator Console that enables you to modify system-wide settings.
About Creating and Configuring VMs
- How to create a hardware profile – Provides the procedure and detail links to creating a hardware profile as part of the New Virtual Machine Wizard.
- How to create a template – Provides the procedure for creating a standardized set of hardware and software configuration settings and can be used repeatedly to create virtual machines that share those settings.
- How to clone a VM – Provides the procedure to create a new virtual machine that is based on an existing virtual machine and deploy it or save it to the library.
About Troubleshooting VMM
- Virtual Machine Conversion Issues – Provides guidance for troubleshooting issues with virtual machine conversion using the Convert Physical Server Wizard (P2V).
- Installation Issues – Provides guidance for troubleshooting issues that may occur when you are installing Virtual Machine Manager, prerequisite software, and tools.
- Library Management Issues – Provides guidance for troubleshooting issues that may occur when you are managing Virtual Machine Manager library resources.
Press CTRL+F on a troubleshooting page, and then enter your error number or text to search for the possible cause and solution.
About Host Ratings
- About Host Ratings – Provides details about host ratings (0 through 5 stars), that indicate the host’s suitability for hosting a virtual machine.
- How to Set Placement Defaults for Virtual Machines – Provides the procedure for configuring the metrics that determine how virtual machine hosts are rated when placing a virtual machine on a host.
- How to Customize Host Ratings for a Virtual Machine – Provides the procedure for overriding the system-wide placement defaults.
- Checkpoints – Provides an overview of checkpoints for a virtual machine that allow you to restore the virtual machine to a previous state.
- How to Create a Checkpoint – Provides a procedure for creating checkpoints.
- How to Merge a Checkpoint – Provides a procedure for merging a checkpoint when you no longer need to restore a virtual machine to its state when the checkpoint was created.
- How to Restore a Virtual Machine to a Checkpoint – Provides a procedure for restoring a virtual machine—including its guest operating system, application settings, and application data files—to its state when a checkpoint was created.
- How to Convert a Physical Server to a Virtual Machine – Provides procedures for creating a new virtual machine from a physical computer running the Windows Server 2003 operating system, the Windows 2000 Server operating system, or the Windows XP operating system.
- Troubleshooting Virtual Machine Conversion Issues – Provides guidance for troubleshooting issues with virtual machine conversion using the Convert physical server wizard (P2V).
- How to Convert a Virtual Machine to a VMM Virtual Machine – Provides the procedure in Virtual Machine Manager to create a new virtual machine from a VMware server-based virtual machine.