We had an internal question about a deployment where an upgrade from OCS 2007 to OCS 2007 R2 was resulting in the error: Could not create the query dialog in the MMC. Here is how the consultant described the customer problem:
I just completed a migration from OCS R1 to R2 and almost everything is working fine. My environment consists on two Front-Ends and one Back-End server. I have installed OCS R2 Admin Tools on both Front-Ends, but I have a problem with one of the servers when I launch the OCS R2 admin console, browse down to "Users", right-click and do a "Find users", I get an error that says "Could not create the query dialog".
The Front-End servers are Windows Server 2008 SP1 x64. I also installed the OCS R2 Admin Tools on other two servers, one with Windows Server 2003 x86 and the other one with Windows Server 2008 x86. The Windows 2003 server works fine without errors but I get again the "Could not create the query dialog" error in the Windows 2008 server.
Is there any problem with the console in Windows Server 2008 or any hotfix to correct this? I have found some posts indicating the same error with W2K8. Apparently it could be replicated. Any help would be appreciated.
I did some searching and found what ended up being the solution for his problem, obviously you always want to confirm exact details when dealing with a hotfix. When requesting a hotfix, you may be charged or your issues decremented to start the call, you should receive a refund or the call added back your available issues when the hotfix is confirmed to be the solution.
FIX: When you run a common language runtime (CLR) application on an x64 computer that is running the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1, you may receive an access violation in the mscorwks!SetAsyncResultProperties object
By the way, it turns out this was documented in the Supportability guide but I don’t believe that with the problem description you would realize this was the solution you needed. Here is that section as an FYI >
The following operating system updates are prerequisites for deploying Office Communications Server 2007 R2:
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 953582, "You may be unable to install a program that tries to register extensions under the IQueryForm registry entry in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Vista," at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131392.
- This update must be installed before you install Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Administrative Tools in the following situations only:
- On computers running Windows Vista, if you also install Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT)
- On computers running Windows Server 2008, if Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) administrative tools are installed
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 953990, “AV at mscorwks!SetAsyncResultProperties,” at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131394.
This update applies to Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Server 2008.
I hope that this proves helpful,