Technet Spotlight On Demand Video – Mark Russinovich – “The Case of the Unexplained…”

Hear Mark Russinovich, the master of Windows troubleshooting, walk you through step by step how he has solved seemingly unsolvable system and application problems on Windows. With real case studies, Mark will show how to apply the Microsoft Debugging Tools and his own Sysinternals tools, including Process Explorer, Process Monitor, and Accesschk, to solve system crashes, process hangs, security vulnerabilities, DLL conflicts, permissions problems, registry misconfiguration, network hangs, and file system issues. These tools are used on a daily basis by Microsoft Product Support and have been used effectively to solve a wide variety of desktop and server issues, so being familiar with their operation and application will assist you in dealing with different problems on Windows.

I have been trying to download video to play as my connection speed won’t allow the video to run properly.  All I get is the runaround (keeps opening the same page.  I am currently logged in, but no success.  Can someone point me to a link for the download as I really want to watch this?

This is fantastic .. I have had this site’s programs for years and always just needed more information on how to understand them completely and get my system to tweak better.  This is absolutey fantastic .. what a great speaker and what a great person for providing those programs years ago to those of us who had problems and could not take it to a professional.

Thank you Microsoft .. once again you have been on the side of the computer layman to help teach us the most.

This video hangs about 3/4’s of the way. Tried it three times and it hangs at the exact same spot when talking about error messages. Wish I could watch the entire video.

How about adding a link to downloadable version of presentation? That’s one way around problem some are having with presentation player.

It’s funny who we got experienced just by helping family with their computer problems.

Being a basic process explorer user already I decided to check out some of the things I learned during this presentation. While watching I noticed firefox eating 100% cpu, I tried to figure out what was going on with process explorer and process monitor and eventually found out it was the silverlight player showing this presentation… The irony.

It appears that the video (mobile device or higher quality) and the slides from this talk can be downloaded. Click on Downloads, to the right of the video. You have to sign up for and sign in to TechNet to do this, but its free. Excellent talk. Excellent tools!

Content:

Excellent. Mark Russinovich. Of course.

Learnt a few non-obvious tricks. Thanks!

Technical (Silverlight):

Video and PowerPoint windows not resizable or moveable. Please note that my screen size is 1024h  x 1280v – yes, that’s "portrait" instead of the usual "landscape" orientation. Obviously no living web designer can imagine that someone turns their screen 90 degrees to be able to read listings and documents properly.

Video controls are jumpy, catch up with slide navigation is very slow, no buffering when in pause mode or rate adaptation

Audio quality is very good.

Slides are blurry, I would appreciate a PPS or PDF download to actually have the notes.

And it’s not nice to force Silverlight on everyone. Why not provide WMV/ASF/AVI?

Nice, but dang the video time control is buggy. Browser crashed at 30min and then tried to tell it  to play at 30 mins and found how its very bugg. You drag it around and it goes back to 3min for example when you stop at 30min. Or 2 min at 1hr. Etc. sucks bit time, sucky player!!

Please can you give me the solution to this so that I can log a ticket with the helpdesk to get this fixed for your network. my laptop works fine from home but not from work.

Some are complaining about the video control. For me, Silverlight throws a popup 4001 MediaError AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR. Debugging in Fiddler 2 shows a 404 Not Found for /emea/spotlight/xml/en/video/subtitle722.xml.

mark is gr8 but silverlight sucks

The video was very helpful and I will try to remember the techniques Mark utilised.  As for the actual tools discussed in this video, more help files,within these tools, explaining these subjects would be nice.

Video still wont work. Getting lots of silverlight errors: 2203 – AG_E_RUNTIME_SETVALUE, 4001 – AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR.

Also only partly compatable with firefox.

Is the video available anywhere else?

Comments are closed.